4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Yard work in winter - YUK!

Well, it's not really THAT bad

I got my hubby a leaf blower for Christmas - yeah, he was reeeaaaalll happy with THAT present (I got him what he wanted for Christmas, but thought the leaf blower would be a funny gift - and we needed it!). He still rolls his eyes at me when I mention the leaf blower Christmas gift! LOL!

Anyway, I used the leaf blower to blow the leaves off my porch. They accumulate behind my metal lawn chairs up against the house, and it is a killer to move all of them and sweep. So, I blew off the leaves, then I mowed them. I have a mulching mower and so it chops up the leaves and blows them into the grass. That is good mulch for the lawn - it's better than raking them up. I only have 3 trees in my back yard, so it's not too many leaves to mow. It was 70 degrees here today, perfect weather for mowing and blowing
Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Hubby wants to work on our front flower beds this month. I have to admit, the plants have overgrown the beds, but he wants to remove them all, put them in pots, till up the dirt and steralize it to kill all the weed and grass remnants and seeds, and separate the plants to make them smaller again and replant. Sounds like a LOT OF WORK to me.

I want to landscape the back yard, since we are on a golf course, lots of folks have their back yards landscaped like their fronts. We don't need something elaborate, but simple would look much better than what we have now which is nothing.

Rather than buy new plants to do the backyard, I want to salvage the overgrowth from the front yard and use it to start the beds. Hubby is a buy it new at the nursery kind of guy, but I think his pocketbook will allow him to consider the option I'm proposing once we get into it.

Just hate the time this is going to take. UHHHHH!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
At 70 degrees I would love to be out working in the yard. I didn't get anything at all done to our yard this past summer. No flowers...nothing. This year I'm hoping to get a little bit done. It's so expensive. I mostly want my flower beds redone, won't take much really, but they need improved upon.

What is this stuff that sterilizes and gets rid of all the weeds..seeds..etc. ? Does it keep weeds from growing back in with the flowers? I would love something like that so I don't have to pull as many weeds...especially when it really gets hot and humid.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I couldn't imagine doing yard work this time of year! This month is the time that I try to do what "I" want to do. I want to scrapbook but at the moment we're too busy and we're expecting company in the near future.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm not sure what "sterilizing" Marilyn is talking about - but I "sterilized" year before last by taking all my plants out of my front bed in the beginning of the summer. Then I covered the bed with black plastic so when it got really hot, the seeds/stuff "cooked" over the summer. Yes, our front yard looked sorta like the "Clampets" but we don't live in a fussy neighborhood, so it was OK

This method is called solarizing and is a safe way to kill weeds/seeds. If you want to plant again in the same spot, you really can't use any kind of chemicals. Plus, I'm a "green grower" and don't use any kind of chemicals at all in my yard. We put in a rock bed, rather than flowers, so that we don't have to use extra water to keep them alive.

I want to put in a 12X5 garden in my back yard. I don't get tons of sunlight, but I think I could grow a few vegetables. We will have to put in a raised bed - using landscape timbers and then have garden soil hauled in. We only have about 3-4" of soil in our back yard and then it is caliche (sp) rock. I'll probably get the guys that did our yardwork this fall to do it, either in late Jan or early Feb.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #6
Tiramisu

It's warm and HUMID here. We pulled all the overgrown shrubs out of our front flowerbeds at the first of August and I planted yellow daffodils that were my Mom's favorite. I have mulch on my shopping list, but haven't borrowed the truck of go get it. So, I was out pulling weeds a couple days ago. We have one more huge Sago Palm to transplant and I'm planting a 12' Northern Pine there in the Spring.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
Marilyn

Well, I mentioned it in another thread, but we removed our Christmas lights from the yard this morning & hubby got carried away and we also trimmed the trees and the crepe myrtles and hauled all the brush to the county brush site along with the Christmas tree. I just hope I'm not sunburned. My skin feels a little warm, so I may have gotten a bit too much sun.

His next outdoor project will be the flower beds, and yes, we will look like the Clampets for a while, too, just hope the neighbors don't complain too much.

We don't know what the sterilizer is that hubby uses, but it's some kind of pellets. It is tilled into the soil and the soil is left for 30 to 45 days before you can plant anything in it.

He did this when we built our home 5 years ago, and we have had very little problem with weeds or grasses in the beds. The weeds we do have are now increasing in quantity, so this is why he thinks it's time to sterilize again. After it's done, all he will have to do is hit any little bits of weed or grass with a squirt of Roundup. No heavy weeding needs to be done. It's really nice. We don't eat anything grown in the sterilized soil, it's for decorative shrubs only, and they grow very well in the soil after this is done. I kinda think the sterilizer may be a super fertilizer that burns the weeds and grasses to death & discipates enough to plant things in it over the 30 days or so. All the shrubs looked really nice and actually grew larger than some of them were supposed to. This may be why our beds are so overgrown.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 01-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Well with all this outdoor talk I'm ready to get started, but we are headed down to the teens within the next couple of days. Guess I'd better get all the inside stuff done so when it does warm up...I can be outside.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Shada

I am so looking forward to yard work!!

Here it is in the teens... and darn cold.
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Marilyn

We stopped by Lowes tonight, and bought a new chain saw, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, pruning shears, and a few other small items we'll need to work on the yard. The leaf blower is mine. I can't wait to get after the leaves that are hanging around our porches and the edges of the side walks.

This is definitely the right time of year to do yard work around here. It's in the high 70's and sunny. Very nice outside.

We're getting a norther tomorrow night though. It's supposed to rain, and the high Monday is predicted to be 49F. The 10 day forecast is showing it back in the 70's by Wednesday, though.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

You are going to get after it, Marilyn!!! I love my hubby's leaf blower too!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:52 AM   #12
Marilyn

I'm so ready to get some major things done around here. Outside or inside, I don't care, just something. I took an old magnetic calendar we keep on the front of the freezer that was no longer in use (great when the girls were here and we were hopping to this or that). I am using it as a 2009 Things To Do chart. In each box, I've listed tasks that we need to complete this year, like redoing the front flower beds, organizing the drawers in the bathroom, organizing my baking pans, cleaning the pantry, cleaning the garage, getting new flooring to replace the carpet downstairs, etc. Hopefully this will work.

We're so busy with work, church committments (that we enjoy very much), and things like 4WT, but we have to make time to do some of these things around here and time to visit our children.

We really haven't been to visit hardly at all since Melissa's wedding in June, and they are beginning to complain. So much to do!! and so little time!!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #13
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Marilyn, it sounds like you are really going to get organized! I really admire that. Organization is not my strong suit. My mom went to secretarial school - she wanted to go to college, but her parents could not afford it. But one thing I always admired about her was that she knew how to organize things. She said she learned that in her secretarial school. I went to college for 9 years, and I am very grateful for that education, but I wish someone had taught me how to organize, because for me, it does not come naturally!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Eek yard work!!! Yesterday I shovelled 6-inch deep snow from all of our sidewalks and a giant square around my car in -45 degree weather lol. I lost feeling in my fingers and legs halfway through and had to come inside to let them burn for awhile while the feeling came back.
I wish I could be out doing real yard work!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
Eek yard work!!! Yesterday I shovelled 6-inch deep snow from all of our sidewalks and a giant square around my car in -45 degree weather lol. I lost feeling in my fingers and legs halfway through and had to come inside to let them burn for awhile while the feeling came back.
I wish I could be out doing real yard work!
OMG! LINDSAY! I would never make it in Canada. If it's any consolation, it is 45 here today - a far cry from 84 yesterday. You are one tough chick!