4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Dobie

Angry I was just told to mind my own business :(

Some parents are idiots!! The street that I live on can get fairly busy and people use it to avoid the traffic light on the next street over from us - they fly down the road.
I was just looking out my window and saw a little kid, no older then 5, riding his bike with training wheels IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. The bike was obviously to big for him and he was wobbling all over the road. One car slammed on the brakes and almost hit him, and other cars were having to take a wide arc to go around him. I looked around and there was no adult to be found.
So, thinking I was being responsible, I went outside and pushed him onto the sidewalk, then asked where he lived. He was 2 streets away from his house - so, again, thinking I was being responsible - I walked home with him to make sure he didn't go in the street again, then explained to his mother what had happened.

She told me to mind my own business She said that if she needed a total stranger to walk her kid home, she would have knocked on my door and asked me to do it.

What was I supposed to do, just watch him get runover or even worse kidnapped>
Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Dobie, of course, you did the absolute right thing. If you see him again, I'd call the police and tell them what is going on. A child's precious life is at stake, and that parent needs to be more responsible!!!!!!!!!!! Some people can be soooo frustrating!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You DID do the right thing. I can not believe her comment. Marilyn's right. Next time you see him out without parental supervision, call the police. I really feel some people should be 'fixed.'
Old 07-23-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
Emmsmom

I think you did the right thing! I would have done the same. I think you should call the police and let them know what happened. A child that age should NOT be playing by themselves 2 streets over! That is just insane! You did the right thing so I wouldn't worry about what this so called "mother" said to you.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Dobie, thanks for trying to help this little guy. You're obviously wiser and more caring than his own Mom. How sad for him. No way a 5 yr old is ready to ride a bike on a street alone!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #6
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Dobie you did the right thing, that mother is an idiot. I feel bad for that child she is so lucky that you brought him home.. How can she leave a 5yr old unattended. I don't know what I would do but sure sounds like someone should alert the police or someone. She was lucky this time.. That he was not killed or kidnapped.

PS I hope you got the satisfication in telling her off because man she needs it!!!
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I agree, you definitely did the right thing. You might want to consider calling your state's child protective services, especially if it happens again. They treat neglect cases as seriously as abuse. I'd hate to think that this little boy could be hurt or killed because the mother isn't providing proper supervision.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #8
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I think that you did the right thing too, Dobie. Don't let someone's rude comment keep you from feeling that you did the right thing. You saw the danger that her son was in, not the Mother.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Emmsmom

I would suggest going to the local Dept of Social Services but they don't always have the children's best interest at heart. Sadly the ones in my area don't do squat! I also have another friend that asked for their help and got nothing but trouble from them. I think calling the police and letting them go over and say something to the family might do more. At least it may scare them really good. Just having gone over may have helped.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #10
Shada

The other night at 9:00pm I was driving thru town and saw 2 young children, neither one over 5 probably. In the street. Main street! One was on a skateboard, the other on a bike. I thought about going to the police station which was close, then noticed a police car behind me. I thought for sure he would pull over and do something... he drove right on by. I was furious!! We have a curfew, but regardless, these were little kids alone and on main street with traffic!!! He should have stopped.
I don't understand. Where were the parents?? Why didn't the officer stop?? These kids were way to young to be out at that time of night alone!!!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmsmom View Post
I would suggest going to the local Dept of Social Services but they don't always have the children's best interest at heart. Sadly the ones in my area don't do squat! I also have another friend that asked for their help and got nothing but trouble from them. I think calling the police and letting them go over and say something to the family might do more. At least it may scare them really good. Just having gone over may have helped.
This wouldn't be a police matter. They'd just refer DCS.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shada View Post
The other night at 9:00pm I was driving thru town and saw 2 young children, neither one over 5 probably. In the street. Main street! One was on a skateboard, the other on a bike. I thought about going to the police station which was close, then noticed a police car behind me. I thought for sure he would pull over and do something... he drove right on by. I was furious!! We have a curfew, but regardless, these were little kids alone and on main street with traffic!!! He should have stopped.
I don't understand. Where were the parents?? Why didn't the officer stop?? These kids were way to young to be out at that time of night alone!!!
It's just crazy what some parents allow their children to do...
Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 AM   #13
teri88

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles View Post
I agree, you definitely did the right thing. You might want to consider calling your state's child protective services, especially if it happens again. They treat neglect cases as seriously as abuse. I'd hate to think that this little boy could be hurt or killed because the mother isn't providing proper supervision.

yeah that! I was going to say the same thing. It's a shame that people don't want to get involved today, and when someone goes out of their way to help they get verbally abused like that!

Of course I'm in shape. Isn't round a shape?
teri88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #14
HALEY

Don't feel bad you did the right thing! Some parents shouldn't be blessed with children..
Micah is never out of my sight when we go out, anywhere!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I have a problem with thinking about turning someone into the authorities. If I saw a problem then I would consider it. I'm just not for turning anyone into the authorities. I hate to think that that's what our society is turning into.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote