4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Cheap quality High price!

3 yrs ago when we bought this house we replaced the kitchen faucet which was original to when it was built in 1979. We put in a rather pricy one handled model with the sprayer on the spigot and I really liked it. It didn't take long before the sprayer button got messed up, and Greg never could figure out how to fix it... so I lived with it.

A couple days ago the faucet wouldn't turn off. It didn't just drip, it ran in a steady stream. So yesterday I was trying to get it to turn off and the handle broke off in my hand! The controls and connections inside are plastic! How can you make it with plastic working parts and expect it not to wear out over time!?!

So today Greg is picking up a new faucet and is going to have to install it before he leaves tomorrow as I'm without water in the kitchen sink now. It will likely be another rather pricy one as the new sink we put in has only the one hole for everything to come up through which means the new faucet has to fit it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I'm seeing a lot of money going out for repairs around here lately!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Well, Tink...if every time you use something it breaks.....it's time to sit back with a bowl of ice cream watching a great movie and let someone else do all the work....LOL. It would be MY plan anyway..LOL
Old 08-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Janet, I like your way of thinking! LOL
Old 08-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Janet

It was like that for me, especially whenever I started to mow the yard. Something....mower, weed eater, trim mower...whatever...would always break down and I hated that because I truly liked mowing.

After awhile I decided it wasn't worth the frustration and now the guys do all the mowing, I'll just get a nice bowl of ice cream and watch them....LOLOL.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It seems like there's always something to repair! At least it happened while Greg was home to repair it, otherwise you'd have no water until he got home or a repair bill on top of the price of a new faucet.

I know about breaking things everytime I use them too except for me it's the combine. Last year my husband bought a new (to us anyway) combine and as soon as I drove it it broke down. This happened to me 3 times in a row so I finally quit and went home. The year before I had the same problem when I first got on. And this year he's wanting me to drive it for him again? I've reminded him of my luck with his combine but he's willing to take a chance. We'll see how it goes when the time gets here!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #6
Janet

I think it would be so much fun driving a combine Diana. I would love to give it a try.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Give me a tractor any day compared to a combine. There are so many buttons to push and so many things going on at the same time in a combine. While you're cutting you have to let out the auger so you can empty into the auger wagon as it comes up beside you. You have to pay attention to where you're driving and to how full the auger wagon gets and you always pay attention to any unusual noises because that can mean a break down. There are alarms that go off for everything. It's really hard but after a while you fall into a routine and then it's not so bad. I've only started driving one in the last 3-4 years so it's all still pretty new. Every year it's like learning to do it all over again.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Talking about driving a combine brings back so many memories. I grew up in Oklahoma and there was/is wheat everywhere. The combine crews would come in to town to cut the wheat about the middle of June. Yes, some farmers had their own combines, but many farmers elected to sub out the cutting. We had crews that came back year after year that we came to be really good friends with.

I've never driven a combine, but I've ridden in several. And I've driven the truck full of wheat back to town to dump at the elevator. My mom was the manager of an elevator so I've also worked there, weighing wheat and testing it for moisture and bulk.

Goodness! That was a long time ago!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Janet

I love living in a farming community, there's just not a whole lot do to...LOL. I would love to drive tractors and combines just anything really. I use to back the semi's to the docks to be loaded at Frito Lay.