4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
paula1961

My nephew

My Mom called me a couple of hours ago. My older brother's little 10 year old son has been admitted to Cabell Huntington hospital in WV. He has a mass on his colon. I really don't know alot of details about what is going on. He has lost 17 pounds in a monthThey had started eating heathier and didn't think anything of the weight loss. Then he started having a problem with his bowels. He would have accidents on himself and not even realize it. I only found all this out today! I am so worried about him. Right now he is having a cat scan. Please pray for him. If any of you have prayer chains. Please start one for him. His name is Lucas. My brother is suppose to let me know something as soon as he does. They were told that they would know tonight what is wrong. He is a very sweet child. I hope it's not anything really bad!!!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I am praying that they will find out exactly what the problem is! Poor kid! I hope it's nothing too bad

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
sending prayers to Lucas and his family and also you . hope they are able to find out what is going on and its an easy fix and he will be happy and health again.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Paula! I am so sorry to hear this. I have never heard of a colon mass on a young child, but then I don't work in pediatrics. I hope it is nothing or easily fixed!!! I will keep him in my thoughts.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I'm so sorry. I know someone that works in pediatrics if you need me to ask questions.

I will send all the positive energy I can to your family.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
paula1961

This is what they were told last night. The mass is a ball of feces that has set up like concrete in his colon The dr said that his colon is stretched really big and they don't know if it will ever return to normal. He has to drink some terrible tasting liquid (don't know the name) to try and dissolve it. Oh yeah and they said it was the size of a baseball

I will update later today. This is terrible but everyone including the dr thought for sure that the little guy had cancer at first so........this is really wonderful news. They are still running tests.

Thank you all so much for your prayers!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Poor kid! That must be awfully painful! Thank goodness it's not cancer though.

I will be praying for him!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I will certainly keep Lucas in my prayers. So upsetting when these young ones have to go through something like this.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

That sounds so painful. Bless his heart! Will pray!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Oh my goodness!!! Poor little Lucas!! I'll be praying for him!!! Thank goodness the news wasn't cancer!! I hope that all of this is an easy fix and with him being so young I hope they're wrong about the bowel going back to it's regular size. Keep us posted!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
paula1961

They said if the colon went back to it's normal size that it would take six months to a year. But it may not shrink back. It is twice as big as it should be. I talked to him just a little while ago. They are letting him go home I'll try and find out more after while. My sister is there now...so I'm sure she will call and tell me something. Has anyone heard of this happening before to someone? I sure haven't.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I have heard of this sort of thing, but I don't know anything about it. I have heard of it but had to go to the internet and search. I looked for "fecal impaction" which is the closest thing to what I think he had. Here's what I found. It calls it constipation - but it is a severe form.

Constipation in childhood is usually caused by the child’s diet. Excessive milk ingestion, insufficient amount of fluids and inadequate intake of bulk-forming foods are common causes of constipation in children. (1) Other potential causes include poor bowel habits, laxative misuse or underlying medical conditions. (1)

Medical conditions that may cause constipation include; Hypothyroidism, Celiac Disease, Hirschsprung Disease, muscle disorders, endocrine disorders such as Hypothyroidism or Diabetes mellitus, and medication side effects. (2) Medications that are commonly associated with constipation include; analgesics, anticholinergics, calcium channel blockers and stomach preparations containing Aluminum.

In some cases a child can develop constipation due to an anatomical defect such as rectal stenosis. Rectal stenosis is a condition that occurs when a child’s rectal openining is too tight or too small. Because the opening is so small it is very difficult to pass stools and as a result the child becomes constipated. Rectal stenosis can be confirmed by digital examination by a health care professional. (1)

Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia is another potential cause of constipation in children. This occurs when a child fails to learn to properly coordinate the muscle contractions necessary to pass a stool. When a child experiences Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia, the anal sphincter does not contract properly or in some cases, involuntary spasms occur during a bowel movement. This abnormal contraction prevents the stool from being expelled from the body. Signs of Pelvic Floor Dyssynergia include hard stools, fecal impaction, feelings of anal blockage, severe straining, and the need for digital maneuvers. (3)
Old 07-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I have heard of this, once in a friend with polio, and once on TLC I think, involving a child.

Have they figured out what caused this? I hope it's not anything too serious.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
paula1961

That's what I've been wandering Judy. What caused it?

The dr told my sil to call this morning to make an appt to go over everything. I don't know when that will be yet.

Gayle thank you for posting all of that info. I'm going to do a little research on my own just out of curiosity.

Lucas called my parents this morning and said he was feeling much better. And btw my poor Dad is back in the hospital too. He has alot of fluid built up and can't seem to lose any of it. So please say a prayer for him too. He is just sooo weak. I'm going down there tomorrow. He's in Lexington at St Joesph hospital.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I hope that the dr. finds something to help Lucas from having this happen again. I'm glad to hear that he's better.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I'll be praying for him.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote