4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 04-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Angry My Arm Still Hurts!

Three weeks ago today I got the last of my hepatitis shots. Didn't hurt, until the next day...and it is still hurting. After spring break I went in to the school nurse since she is the one who gave me the shot. There is also a knot/mass something the size of the palm of my hand. It also hurts at times, all the way up into my neck. She said she had never seen anything like it before.

Last week ...since it had been hurting for two solid weeks, I went to my Dr. The nurse there said that is what it was....from the shot. To take ibuprofen 3 times a day and use a cool compress. I did.....didn't help. I was going to call the Dr. tomorrow, but they are out on Wednesdays so now I'll have to wait until Thursday....after I take Mom to her kidney Dr.

Has anyone had a problem like this after getting a shot? It just has me a bit worried since it's been hurting for 3 weeks without letting up.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Probably what happened was the medicine stayed in the muscle. I had that happen once with a tetnus shot. I had a knot for some time and then it finally worked out. However, yours sounds a lot worse than mine was. I'd keep taking the ibuphrophen and using the cool compresses. Hopefully, Gayle will have a true medical answer for you!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Nope, Gayle doesn't have the answer this time. I've never heard of a knot from a shot lasting that long. I never worked in a clinic where I gave lots of shots, only in the hospital so that if someone got a knot from a shot I gave, I never knew about it since they typically didn't stay in the hospital for 3 weeks! LOL!

I did have lots of shots in my right hip with I was 14 (knee surgery - pain shots) and my hip, down my outer thigh was sorts half way numb and tingly for several years. Even now, I can sometimes get that feeling of sorta numbness/tingling in that area. So, I know shots can have long lasting effects.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
DianaB

I've had that feeling too, Gayle. When I had Feyn I had to have the RhoGram shot and I was given it in the hip. I think the nurse (who was an OLD nun) hit a nerve because I remember coming up off of the bed when she gave it. My hip was numb and tingly for years.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Janet

Well, it's still hurting this morning...not as bad so maybe it's starting to heal up...I don't know. I can still feel the mass/knot, but not as mush either. It was clearly visable, now not so much. Amazing what a day makes...lol. I might give it the rest of this week before calling the Dr. I have to take Mom to her kidney Dr. in Lafayette tomorrow and then take Emilee to the Vet for her annual.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
paula1961

Janet I sure hope the knot and the pain go away soon. Hopefully it was just the shot. I've never had that happen before. I wish you well!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
DianaB

I'm glad that it's finally feeling better. Maybe it will work itself out.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
DIANE W

Janet - When i had my flu jab, i had a reaction and had just the same thing happen to me, it was very sore, hot, hard and palm sized. It took a good few weeks to go completely. I have never had that reaction before, so i blamed it on the nurse that gave me the jab.... at the time it did hurt too.

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm glad it's starting to feel a bit better Janet.

When I was 5, I got a vaccination (no idea which one) in my thigh, and it was such a terrible pain, I couldn't walk for well over a week. I'm not sure if it was a knot or something, but my parents blamed the nurse!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I hope that goes away quickly! Jessie takes shots that take a long time to dissipate. Not two weeks, but your shot probably wasn't given right.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #11
Janet

Yesterday I took my Mom to her kidney Dr for her monthly visit. While there...LOL...my mom asked them to look at my arm. I sometimes can't believe her nerve. Well, they both said the shot was given way to low in my arm and they feel it hit a nerve. That's why I have pain at times all the way up in my shoulder and neck. I feel it starts in my arm but then moves upward. That's what my own Drs. nurse said. Said it will probably continue to hurt for quite some time since a nerve is involved. Great!!

Darn school nurse...she is new...and young....and she hurt my arm!!! LOL...guess from now on...I'll get pay for my vaccinations at my Drs. office instead of going for the free ones. Live and learn..........and hurt.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Well poop! Even if she's new and young, she should know where to give shots in the arm, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

I'm all for free things too, and it makes me mad that you have to pay (physically) for a free shot!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #13
Janet

It's still hurting, but doesn't seem quite as bad at times. I was going to do push-ups using Ricky's big exercise ball, but when I lean forward the pain just shoots up my arm. So....I'll have to wait on that. Doesn't seem to hurt using weights behind my shoulders so hopefully that will help some to get rid of these 'wings'. Hope it stops hurting soon, it's been 4 weeks today.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, is your arm getting any better?
Old 04-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
Janet

Gayle...it really is better. I still have the large knot, but it's not as hard and I think it's beginning to go away. The pain is there but only at times, like if I'm sitting at a table with my arm resting on it or on my lap...it aches. Everyday I've been wanting to do push ups on the exercise ball, but it pains from the shot site up into my neck when I bend forward. I just keep trying until it won't hurt anymore. The nurse still denies she shot me too low...grrrrr It will be 5 weeks tomorrow. Thanks for asking.