4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 04-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Diabetic?

I think I may be on the edge of being diabetic. I just found out my younger brother is. If I don't get something to eat the minute I feel hungry...I will eat really fast and overeat....plus, I don't really get full until I get something sweet...like chocolate. Guess I need to do some online research and if that's what it could be...ask my dr. about it.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Do you find yourself being really, really thirsty? That's one of the first symptoms that people notice. Or being really tired....not being able to go.....especially after meals? If you're trying to lose weight than I would really encourage you to use this as another reason to get the weight off. I do find though that when my sugar is really low that I feel really hungry and will eat really fast. When I feel that way I also feel shaky and sweaty.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I think I may be on the edge of being diabetic. I just found out my younger brother is. If I don't get something to eat the minute I feel hungry...I will eat really fast and overeat....plus, I don't really get full until I get something sweet...like chocolate. Guess I need to do some online research and if that's what it could be...ask my dr. about it.
That sounds more like low blood sugar, rather than high blood sugar as in diabetes. Usually with diabetes, you don't get as hungry because your blood sugar is high so your brain doesn't think you need to eat. Does this happen after you have eaten a high sugar meal? What happens is that when you eat a high sugar (or high carbohydrate) meal, e.g., cereal and white toast for breakfast - is that due to all that sugar, your pancreas releases too much insulin and your blood sugar drops and when that happens, you feel the urge to eat and you eat quickly and too much. Do you feel shaky when this happens? or sweaty or nauseated? Shakiness is the classic sign of low blood sugar.

Diana gave you the classic symptoms of diabetes. And, since your younger brother has diabetes, and you are overweight, then you are at a much higher risk to develop diabetes, so you should have your blood sugar checked when you go to the doctor and at any health fair. Sometimes our pharmacy does free blood sugar checks. I'd keep an eye on it Janet.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Thanks ladies. I wish I would have explained it better...lol Yesterday for instance i had Fiber One cereal for breakfast, piece of toast with very little pnt btr on it and orange juice. I ate this about 8:30/9:00. By noon, I start getting the shakes and if I wait much longer I'm shaking really bad and then I eat super fast. Even after I get through eating, (because I ate so fast) I'm not feeling full, but if I get something sweet, I feel much better. Alot of times, if I'm shaking, if I just get something sweet (mostly chocolate) then the shakes go away.
Maybe it's more low blood sugar.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Go get a fasting blood test and then you'll know one way or the other. I hope not, because that diet is a pain in the butt!

Diana, are you having a hard time keeping with the diet, or is it easier than everyone thinks?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Janet, it does sound like low blood sugar. Do you know any one that you could borrow a meter from for a few days? That sounds like how I feel when I drop too low.

Judy, It's definitely NOT easy!! I'm on medicine to help control mine. I've been trying to watch what I eat and, thank goodness for Splenda!!! It really helps that you can buy sugar-free sweets but even then you have to watch them because they're still not calorie free or fat free but they really help with the sweet tooth!! I'm trying to eat more fiber and less sugars and also more veggies and chicken. Easier said than done. I was suppose to go in and get an A1C test this week but I didn't get it done so I'll go in next week. I'm hoping that my numbers are good!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote