4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 10-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

So fed up

I don't know how much more I can take of my job. I used to love it, coming to work at 8 and going home at 5. I always knew my hours. Once in awhile I'd work a little bit overtime but that was rare.

Since July, I could count on my fingers the number of days I went home at 5. I have been here past midnight to meet deadlines. We contracted a team of designers from Mexico and Arizona to help out, and they've been here until 6 in the morning more than a handful of nights. They sleep for an hour and come back for another full day of work. This is absolutely ridiculous.

We finished our big project submission Friday and we will wait 1-2 weeks to get it back for revisions, so we thought we'd have a pretty stress-free week. Well, yesterday the CEO of our company came to us with a job that NEEDS to get done THIS WEEK and he can't find anyone else to do it. Our lovely office manager suggested the amazing design team here because we can meet any deadline! So it's back to the crunch and I'm still working overtime.

I have not used ANY holiday days this year, any time off has been on banked time. I have taken 3 weeks off this year. I have 111 hours banked as of Monday. I still have my regular 3 weeks of holidays to use up. Since July, I have banked an extra FOUR WEEKS of time off. That's in just 3 months! This is not normal, this is not a regular 8-5 job. They keep going after more and more work that we don't have enough people to staff, unless we keep working these insane hours. The project managers go home on time every day, tell us what they need to look at in the morning, and we're here all night getting it done for them. I guess that's why they get paid more

Sorry I just had to vent. I have no life at all outside of work anymore. Scott is getting upset with me because things are falling behind at home. All I want to do is take an hour to relax before going to bed and doing it all over again. I'm stressed out all the time.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

You should have talked to your manager and let him know that your team needed these next two weeks for some down time. They can't expect you to keep working like this or everyone will quit. Communication with your manager is what is needed.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

The biggest problem is that the rest of the team WILL work these hours and they are fine with it. I am the one who is not fine with it I am working really hard but I feel that if I am the one getting special treatment, I will stick out as the one not doing the work, and not getting a good raise and bonus in the new year because of it. But the rest of the team doesn't have a life here, their family is home in Mexico/Arizona, and they're here to work. They were out of work until getting this opportunity so they are doing anything possible to keep the managers happy so they can keep their jobs here. And the managers are taking advantage of that!

I have a standing offer from Scott's boss to work at his company. The only thing keeping me here is Layla. She can be with me all day and I don't have to pay for someone to take care of her.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 10-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I'm sorry I hope you're atleast getting your overtime compensation. That money will come in hand especially with all the complications you and Layla been having. Stick in there something good will come out of it. Kiss your hubby and tell him to leave you alone while you put in your beauty rest.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
I'm sorry I hope you're atleast getting your overtime compensation. That money will come in hand especially with all the complications you and Layla been having. Stick in there something good will come out of it. Kiss your hubby and tell him to leave you alone while you put in your beauty rest.
Thanks! I'm a little less stressed than I was this morning lol.

I don't actually get paid for my overtime, but I get "paid" with time off. So for every 1 hour I work overtime, I get 1.5 hours off with full pay. So right now I can take 111 hours off with pay! It's almost better this way because if I got paid in full, taxes would take a lot of it! On the other hand, I'm still only able to take my time off when it's approved, so during slower times. I can't take the next month off because they need me here I would take the next two months off if they'd let me!

Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

So in an effort to stand up for myself and have a life, I have been deciding to just go home at 5 for the past two days. I just get up and leave. I don't ask "Is there more to get done tonight?" And when people see me with my jacket on, Layla packed up, and Scott with the car keys in his hand, they don't ask me to stay either. I know the other drafters have been spending late nights here, but I've been spending my time at home and I really think maybe it's time to put my family (Scott and Layla) and time to myself ahead of my job. I feel bad for them doing the extra work, but I also feel bad for Scott and Layla having to deal with me working late. Scott and Layla win.

Yesterday was pretty hectic during the work day, with the large project to get done for the company CEO. Near the end of the day I made a call to the drafter in the main office to figure out where we're at, and she seemed very stressed out. She said "Wayne wants me to do another drawing before tomorrow, but I'm sorry, it's not going to happen." And that just blew me away! That she has only been there for a few months but can still say, not just to her manager, but to the owner of the company "I am not finishing this for you because I'm going home at the end of the workday" was just amazing to me. Wayne, the CEO, is a really nice guy, and I know that he would be fine with that decision if she really didn't want to work late. On the other hand, our managers stress that if Wayne needs something done, don't even think twice about it and do whatever possible to get it done. Our office just really tries to suck up I think. But I don't think it matters. My job will not be in jeopardy. Wayne has known me for 4 years and knows I do a great job. So I'm not putting my life on hold anymore!

Thanks for letting me vent here. The stress got to be too much and I know now that I need to take time for myself. Last night, Scott and I ate a good meal, watched good tv, and sat in the hot tub for an hour. Now that is how every night should be!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Lindsay, I just read on FB that you are going to the lake for the weekend. Good for you!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm so glad you got to the point of blowing them off! They do need you!

Hope the weekend has been lovely at the lake!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks! I had a nice relaxing time at the lake, and even got to see my best friend's new baby since she also went home for Thanksgiving

I hope this week is a little easier at work. At least it will be a short week! Tomorrow I am not working late because Scott and I are having a date night

Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Good for you Lindsay! I'm so glad you had a fun weekend!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

A date night? Tell us...where are you two going? What a wonderful idea.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
A date night? Tell us...where are you two going? What a wonderful idea.
Nothing too fancy lol... we're just going to drop off Layla at my brother's house after work, then go out to eat and go to a movie We just need some time alone to get out and do something out of the ordinary!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Hope the date turn out wonderfully.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #14
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
Hope the date turn out wonderfully.
It was a great night and we decided to do it more often!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #15
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Lindsey...so the others don't get so stressed also....maybe you all can rotate or something. I'm really glad you're taking time for yourself.....a matter of fact....I'm doing exactly that this weekend.