4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Entertainment & Shopping

Old 10-19-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Christmas Shopping

Just thought I would ask when everyone starts their Christmas shopping?

AND

What kind of stores do you usually go to? Small/large retail....malls...specialty?

AND

Do you go to the sales the day after Thanksgiving?

AND

How about internet shopping? Do much there?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Janet

Since I'm the only one on, I guess I'll start.....

I have started checking the ads in the Sunday paper, but haven't bought anything yet. Usually we just buy for my Mom, his Step-Mom and the three of us. We use to have to buy for over 20 some people, but we put a stop to that real quick...nobody wanted to draw names...so we just told them, don't buy for us because we are not buying for you!!!

AND

What kind of stores do you usually go to? Small/large retail....malls...specialty?

I may go to Lafayette one or two times walk through the mall before it get too crowed, but mostly buy at our town's Wal Mart and on-line. People get so crazy and rude at Christmas and my computer is never mean to me.....LOL

AND

I went one time the day after Thanksgiving with my best friend, her daughter and her sister. We were in Lafayette with all our ads by 5:00 AM. It was so much fun, but I think it was just because we were all together and enjoying each other. Would love to do that again.

AND

I love to do most of the shopping on the Internet. Even from places like Target, Kohl's and others. I've never had any problems and even when I ordered on Dec. 17, I still had my orders in time for Christmas...my opinion is "it's the only way to shop."
Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Cribal

I start as soon as I get my Christmas bonus from work. I don't have any money for gifts till then. They normally give them out after Thanksgiving.

What kind of stores do you usually go to? Small/large retail....malls...specialty? Wally world and places like TJMaxx and Marshalls. They alwas have good sales and interesting odd and end gifts.

Do you go to the sales the day after Thanksgiving
Oh HELL NO!!!!!! That's toooo much crazyness for me. I can't be in crowded places anyways and all these crazy ladies running around freaks me out. I would probably have a panic attack and pass out on the floor...LOL

I did a little of hubby's shopping online last year but I'm not sure about this year. I don't like paying shipping on things I can drive 10 min. down the rd. for.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #4
2tiredmom

No Money No Christmas this year.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I like to start early, but usually I don't get started until after Thanksgiving.

I like to shop at Penney's, Kohl's, Target, and Wal-mart (it's closer to me than the other stores).

I went once to Wal-mart with my daughter and daughter-in-law. People were so rude and we had gotten up so early that I've never gone back for the early morning stuff. I live too far from a large city so to go takes all day and I don't like crowds or waiting in line.

I love shopping on the internet. Last year I ordered stuff from Kohl's and Penney's. I figure that the shipping is cheaper than me driving 100 miles, eating out, and spending all day shopping.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #6
Janet

I put a little money back every week in the bank Christmas Club. They sent me my Christmas Check today. Now I'm ready, but as usual when I get money, I don't want to spend it, except on me and my son!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I usually don't start until 2 weeks before Christmas... and I never know what I'm getting anyone beforehand either!

MALLS! I know everyone hates malls at christmas but I absolutely love them! Everyone all bundled up and christmas decorations everywhere and christmas music playing... You can get everything in one place without having to drive all over town, and when you need a break you can stop for some food!

Thanksgiving is in October here, so that's N/A

Nope, don't have a credit card.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
Mandy78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Just thought I would ask when everyone starts their Christmas shopping?I usually start in the summer! Or I should say I shop all year round! If I see something for someone and its in Feb...I buy it for them! The only problem with that is I sometimes forget what I have already bought! LOL!!!!!!

AND

What kind of stores do you usually go to? Small/large retail....malls...specialty?I do them all!!!!!

AND

Do you go to the sales the day after Thanksgiving?YEP!!! My friends and I start at 6am! Its a yearly tradition!!! And we have a ball! Then we go home, take naps, then get ready to go out htat night!!!!

AND

I do a ton of internet shopping! So much more to choose from!!!! They love me!! HAHAHAH!!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 02:39 AM   #9
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Woops i havent thought of Christmas shopping yet, i better start making my list
Old 10-20-2006, 05:36 AM   #10
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tiredmom
No Money No Christmas this year.

Linda, you are going to have to start doing what I do. That's start a Christmas Club account at your bank. Most accept $5, $10, $15, $20, and more a week.
Rick and I put in $20 each a week, so you figure how much we have for Christmas. We do put some toward house insurance....it always comes due around then too. Then they just mail you the check with interest for Christmas. I just rec'd mine yesterday. If I didn't do this, there would be no money for Christmas here either. Give it a try....You can start one right now or whenever.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:40 AM   #11
Janet

Also remember when you shop on-line...very seldom do I have to pay shipping if you watch the ads. AND if you spend a certain amount there is no shipping. It's so worth it to me to avoid the long lines and rude people. You would think during such a joyous holiday that people would be kinder, but it's the farthest thing from the truth. We, as a people, have lost the true meaning of Christmas.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #12
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I've only got one present this year and it was shopped for online. So so easy!! I doubt I will be doing much shopping this year really.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Janet

I really don't mind shopping if I have an idea what to get. My son (as with most kids) always had a list a mile long, but as he is getting older, even he has a tough time deciding what he would really like to have.

I simply hate having to return things. They ask so many questions... I just want to give them the item, give them the reciept and then for them to give me my money!!!!! A lot of times I just don't return them and sell them in a garage sale.

I must get it from my mom....if I receive something from her and need to return it, she'll just "return it" (because she won't) and if she needs to return something I bought her, she tells me "I" need to return it. I told her next time we'll just exchange cash....ha ha ha

I have to tell another story......ha ha.....Last year she gave me a sweatshirt for Christmas, but it was the wrong size. She told me where she got it, so I checked the store here in Frankfort. They didn't have it, so I went to Lafayette and checked, well they didn't have it either. So I called Mom from the Lafayette store and told her that neither had it and she said that she didn't really get it from there, it was a sweatshirt she had and just gave it to me....After all that running around, standing in exchange lines and it was something she had in a drawer from home....she had no idea how long she had had it.... GGRRRR!!
Old 10-22-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
khardy57

I start whenever the moods hits, usually in October. If I'm in a store and see something that I KNOW is perfect for someone on my list I buy it and put it up. I've already got my mother's gift and I always give my nieces and nephew money. My Dad is easy, and my sons are too. I refuse to buy for my late husband's family this year so my list is literally cut in half.

I love to shop on the internet!
khardy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #15
Kimberley

I've started my shopping already. Since I'm having surgery, I have to get all of my shopping done early.

Mostly, I shop out of catalogs or eBay. I hate stores and traffic.