4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

New TV!

OMG!!!!!!!!! Why why why why does buying and setting up a new TV have to be so difficult! WHY!

Our SEVEN year old TV has been slowly dying the past few weeks - the pixels were going out right in the middle of the screen which made a big blue spot. So, we've been researching new TVs and they are so darned complicated - I SWEAR, it takes a genius to figure things out!!!

We bought one today - WAY more TV that we really need, but watching TV is Gary's main entertainment when I am at work, so getting a really good one for him is a necessity.

We got one that has WiFi - so you can get on the internet through the TV, not really like your computer, but we can access Netflix (the real reason we got it), facebook, e-bay, CNN and a few other websites, right on the TV. It's pretty cool. You can do the same thing on any TV by adding an internet Blue-Ray DVD player. Like I said, we really did it so he can watch movies through Netflix. Even though we have several movie channels, it is not unusual for him to have seen all the movies on the movie channels several times. So, being able to watch through Netflix, gives him more movie options.

Anyway, it is a 60 inch screen - pretty big, but Gary has trouble with his vision and he has had radial keratotomy surgery (it's like the original Lasix eye surgery) and his eyes are very weird now and glasses only partially correct his vision. Thus, the 60 inch TV helps him to be able to see the TV much better.

We also got the LED lighting which makes the picture much brighter and looks much better. It is an absolutely gorgeous picture. It came with a Blue Ray player (free) but it plays DVDs at twice the speed so it sounds like the chipmunks. We took it back and got another one but it does it too, so maybe it is something that is hooked up wrong - who knows. We've called Sony but have to call back tomorrow during business hours.

I just feel like the new TV is so complicated that I could easily mess things up and not be able to get it to work at all!!! That hasn't happened so far, but goodness, electronics are so complicated now!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I feel the same Gayle. TV's are getting so complicated, but then again so is everything else. It's great that Gary will have more choices now. Sounds like something my older brother could use. He has bad knees and watches aot of TV and rents alot of movies.

Once you have it all set up correctly...you'll really love it. Just wish they came with their own handsome set-up guy...lol.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
paula1961

I get so confused on the way the new tv's work. My hubby was a digital tech for AT&T for 40 years. Thank goodness cause there is no way that I could get these new electronics to work. Everything seems so confusing now a days. But once you get used to it...I'm sure you'll just love it.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm lucky I have Scott because I don't understand electronics anymore! I was just telling my parents that I feel like my dad A few years ago, my brother wrote a list called "Watching Movies For Old People" and it had instructions on how to turn on the DVD player and put a movie in LOL! And they still have trouble!

We just bought a new tv and we went with a plasma 720p... the sales guy tried to sell us an LCD 1080p, but I did my own research and honestly can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 so we went with what we could afford. I really liked the LED though! I think they have a longer lifespan too.

Our next electronic purchase is a computer Scott can pick that! We need something high-end because we have both been granted permission to work from home if the need arises. Of course, we can get the biggest and best computer right now and it will basically be obsolete and not usable in a couple of years!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I agree Lindsay, there is not much difference between a 720 and 1080 - and the 720 is certainly more affordable. If I'd been the one buying/watching, that is certainly what I would have gotten. That's what we got for the trailer last year - a 32 inch 720 Vizio and I think that TV is GREAT!

I certainly didn't want to spend the money for this latest/greatest - but it is hard to say that to Gary when it is his main form of entertainment. We had some stash money, so we could pay for it, but I'd like to keep the stash rather than spend it. Gary has a slightly different perspective on life and buying things since his life span is most likely to be shortened. He's more of an "in the moment" kind of guy, and I can understand that!

it really is a great piece of equipment! Yes Lindsay, we had to write down "old folks" directions like, "To watch the DVD, push X button till it says HDMI 1" To go back to watching TV, "Push the X button till it says HDMI 2" LOL!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It sounds like you got a great tv, Gayle!!! I'm sure that Gary really appreciates the larger size and all the stuff to accommodate his needs. I understand about all the buttons and such to get different things going!!! I can run ours just fine....but when I go to the kids houses their tv's all run differently and I'm lost!!!! I'm sure you'll get it all figured out soon!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

The TV is amazing, the color and clarity is outa this world!!! The Blu Ray player even worked perfectly this morning. All is well, so far (except my checkbook, that is!) LOL!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Gayle, so glad you were able to get such a nice TV for Gary!!!! It's important for him to be able to enjoy his time when you are away!!!

I'm with you about modern electronics. I have a very difficult time with our TV, surround system, Direct TV, Blue Ray player, DVD player, etc. I just have someone turn it on for me and put on what I want to watch. My "shows" are setup to record so I can watch them when someone is around to help. And I'm an engineer!!!! Pitiful, huh!!! I don't watch much TV anyway, too much else to do!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It sounds like an amazing TV Gayle! I only read the instruction manual as far as I need to know. A lot of these bells and whistles are really wasted on most people.

As long as Gary enjoys it! You are such a great wife!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote