4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Angry Truly Disgraceful

My husband spent the weekend at his hunting lease which is out in the country in south Texas. When they (hubby, son-in-law, and granddaughter) got there, they were greeted by a little benji-looking dog. There is a rental house up the road, but they didn't think the dog belonged to them because he stayed down at the camp house with hubby, et. al. all weekend.

My husband called me last night and with a choking, tears in his eyes voice asked me if it was OK to bring the little benji-looking dog home. He said that his long hair was matted to the skin, he had sand burs (stickers) matted in his hair everywhere and was covered with fleas and ticks. But with all this, he was the sweetest, happiest, best behaved little dog he had ever seen. He followed them all over the pastures, he ran and ran and ran with them. He layed on the porch till they went inside for the night and then he was waiting for them on the porch in the morning. He seems to be in good health. His teeth look perfect, they don't have any tarter, so I don't think he is very old.

They did discover that he indeed did belong to the renters in the house down the road. The people asked if he was bothering them and if he was, they would tie him up - outside 98 degrees. Hubby said that he was no bother at all.

So, today when they came home, they just loaded him up in the pickup and brought him home. I have never seen a dog is such a horrible state. Fortunately, we have some professional grade clippers and I was able to get one giant mat on his back started with scissors and then was able to get it shaved off. All the hair on his back came off in one gigantic mat. Fortunately, he wasn't matted on his belly. He had some mats on his legs, but they came off very easily. But he had stickers all up and down his legs - the poor thing, I don't know how he could lay down, they had to hurt him. We didn't even know he had a tail - his hair was matted down to and including his tail - but when we got the giant mat off his back, he had a great little stub tail that sticks straight up!!! Also, he had poop matted to his butt hole - I have no idea how he managed to go to the bathroom.

What you need to know is that for the hour or so it took to shave him, he never moved a muscle. No one had to hold him, he never tried to get away. He sat patiently and let me pull and shave and shave and pull. He never cried, I think he knew we were trying desperately to help him.

Then I put him in the bathtub and he just stood there and let me wash him. I used the sprayer on him, he wasn't scared, he just stood patiently for me to finish. Then we picked off no less than 25 ticks. We treated him with advantage plus.

He will stay with my daughter. My granddaughter is totally in love with him. We will take him to our vet tomorrow. I pray he doesn't have heart worms - if he does we will have him treated.

Guess what! After we shaved him, he doesn't look like Benji anymore. I think he is part schnauzer, maybe some jack russel, but his hair looked kinda like a poodle. Anyway, he looks mostly schnauzer. He is so calm though, it is just a miracle.

My son-in-law took pictures - before and after. I'll post them when he sends them.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Here are the pictures - what you really can't see is that all the hair on his back is matted clear down to his skin. We didn't get a very good "after" picture - but he is a real cutie pie!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harley1.jpg (56.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Harleyjpg.jpg (55.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Harley2.jpg (53.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Harley3.jpg (53.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
thank goodness your husband was there to resuce the poor little guy. some people do not deseve to have pets. I'm sure he will be much happier with your family.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
pope1982

Some people don't deserve pets/ kids.
Bless you, hubby and your family for doing what you did!
pope1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh my gosh Gayle, he is so lucky to have found your husband! I'm so glad you've taken him in. He is a little cutie!!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Shada

He really does have a tail!!

A lucky day for him that your husband found him and brought him home!!!
What a cutie!!

Thank you for saving him from a lifetime of neglect.
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:28 AM   #7
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Gayle, so good of you to take care of him. He looks like he needs a lot of TLC. The renters definitely don't deserve him, and were absolutely mistreating him. Do they know you took him?
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

No, they don't know he took him. There was much debate about asking if they could take him home - but then they were afraid they would say no, then how could you leave him. There is a tiny little town a few miles away, with no animal shelter that might have been able to help save him. Hubby could have notified law enforcement, but you know how that might go in a small town.

Hubby won't be down there again till the middle of November. If they ask, I'm not sure what he will say. They will likely just think the dog could have been eaten by a coyote, ran over, bitten by a snake, or something like that. He was just roaming free in a remote area in the country - anything could have happened to him. They may be suspicious, since he disappeared the day they left, but I don't think they could be sure about it.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:26 AM   #9
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Gayle bravo, your husband is an angel to have rescued him from such a horrible place. I wouldn't give those people a second thought. They were so cruel.. He is adorable and has found a loving home. What are you going to name him? I am happy for the little guy! God bless your family for they did a good thing.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:32 AM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

His name is Harley - my granddaughter said they were calling him Carley??? Not sure why or if she misunderstood. Anyway, we liked Harley and thought it was not too different from Carley (if that indeed was his name).
Old 09-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Tiramisu

Looks like you're in the "Soft Heart Club", too!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:04 AM   #12
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Gayle...he is such a sweet looking dog. I bet he feels soooo much better. You all are wonderful for all the things you've done for him so far. I will keep the little guy in prayer that he does not have heartworm. He probably thinks he's in doggy heaven things are sooo good...lol. You're a dear Angel Gayle!! Now I want face pics...lol...I know...I'm a pain!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #13
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Gayle, I bet the little guy felt so much better after you got all of the mats, ticks, and burrs off of him! It certainly sounds like he must be a special little guy! I hope that he works out well for your daughter and her family.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #14
goofywife
Donating 4WT Yakker

You and your husband are a true heros. I am so glad that he found you.

OK Yorkie Rescue-Another Chance at Love
goofywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #15
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I promise, I'll try to get face pictures today!!!

Good News! He does not have heart worms! The vet said he is not a day over a year old, if that, and as such, is too young to have heart worms. He did test him though, just to be sure and the test was negative.

The vet says he is very healthy, no problems at all. He said he needs to gain a couple of pounds, but thinks he will with some good food. Oh, and he is a schnauzer - maybe mixed with something else because his long matted hair did not look like schnauzer hair - but shaved, he looks just like a schnauzer and the vet confirmed.

He is so trusting and well behaved. When my daughter took him into the vet office, there were lots of other dogs/cats. She said he barked and strained against the leash when they walked in. But she just picked him up and he completely relaxed in her arms. She sat down on a bench and he sat beside her and never said another word or acted out in any way. The vet said his temperament is great.

We are very lucky to have found him (and visa versa)!