4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

My son-in-law

Bryan, is in the hospital (in Houston). Sigh. First Brooke has shingles, now Bryan has a really bad case of diverticulitis. Do you think those two are stressed out??? Poor kids. All of Bryan's stress comes out through his colon, but he didn't know he had diverticulitis. He had really bad abdominal pain (and his appendix are gone), and he was having trouble having a BM. They put him on oral antibiotics but after 24 hours, the pain was worse and his white blood count increased, so he had to go in to the hospital for IV antibiotics. He'll be OK, but he is not a very good patient (first time in hospital since he was really little). He thought he was going to get to go home today, but his pain and white count were still too high, so he is not a happy camper. Abi has had to keep Emma while Brooke is at the hospital, and Brooke said it is a wonder there hasn't been blood shed. Of course, Emma is particularly bad when her mom is not there. Hopefully, he'll get to come home tomorrow and all will be well!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Oh, Gayle, so hope they are better very very soon!!! They're too young to be having such problems!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
So sorry to read that now Bryan has problems. Mom has had diverticulitis too and it's not fun! I do hope he feels better so he can come home. How is Brooke getting along? Praying the shingles are not getting her too bad and that she gets over it quickly.

I really don't think most men are good patients....at least the ones I know...
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, I agree men are not good patients. Gary is about the best "man" patient I have ever seen - but he has had lots of practice since he's been in the hospital 11 times in the past 7 years. Even so, sometimes he tries my patience. I think Bryan is just bored. He really doesn't feel too bad, and he doesn't really like to watch TV. Brooke said he will read, but didn't have anything right now to read and she says he is really picky so she didn't think she could pick something out for him. He has his laptop and iPad, those keep me occupied when sitting in the hospital with Gary. I think though, he just doens't know how to be a patient. Hopefully, he'll get to come home tomorrow.

Yes, both Brooke (33 yrs old) and Bryan (40 yrs old next month) are too young for major health problems - but both have had major stress for the past 8 months. I guess it is all coming out right now. Hopefully, these health issues will be a lesson in taking care of yourself and not letting stress get the best of you. My daughter will take good care of him and I think she will be OK too. I'm just sorry they are not in Austin where I could help with Emma (of course if they were still in Austin, they probably wouldn't be having these health problems!).
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Sometimes it seems like when it rains....it pours!! I feel so sorry for Brooke and Bryan. I hope that they both get better soon!!! AND I also hope that Emma and Abi make it through without blood shed!!!! I can see Emma not minding Abi........we have the same problem with Karlie when an adult isn't present and she's dealing with the girls!!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I missed this, Gayle. I am sorry! I hope that Bryan is home from the hospital, and feeling better! How is Brooke feeling?

Why are they so stressed? Maybe this is a teachable moment, and they will cut down on stressors if they can.

How are Emma and Abi doing? Poor Abi! Big sisters sometimes have to be strict!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Bryan got to come home Sunday and he is doing OK. He still has pain and tenderness in the lower abdomen, but he is not feeling any worse. It can take some time for a diverticulitis flare-up to go away.

Bryan is stressed because of his job. He was sent to Houston because his company bought a concrete company in Houston - BUT - the previous owner has not yet retired (he is a really nice man thankfully), and Bryan is in charge, but all the employees are loyal to the previous owner and so it makes for some really sticky situations for Bryan. He is trying to learn the company, learn Houston, learn their customer base and generate new customers too. The company is losing money because their operations are antiquated and Bryan will have to clean house and change lots of things - when - the previous owner retires (which should be pretty soon). It was the "deal" that was made when the company was bought, that the previous owner could work a while longer before retiring. Anyway, it will be OK, Bryan just has to walk on egg shells right now. And when Bryan is stressed, it always shows up in his colon - but - he didn't know he had diverticulitis. So, now he is going to have to make some lifestyle and diet changes. When you've never had to do that, it is hard, but he will be OK.

My daughter just basically doesn't want to be living in Houston. It is so different from Austin, plus she has never lived more than 10-30 minutes away from me. So for example, if they still lived here I would have been at the house with the girls all weekend while Bryan was in the hospital. Brooke has had a pretty easy life with not many major bumps, so she has never really learned how to handle hard times. Oh, she thinks she has lots of stress and problems, but compared to what her life COULD be, it is a breeze. But she doesn't see it that way, so that is her reality and I understand that. So, I guess her stress came out in shingles. She also has an anxiety disorder so she can get all worked up and have an anxiety attack pretty easily. She does take medicine for it.

Abi and Emma made it without any blood shed. They are good girls, but Emma can be a little twerp! She is an adorable twerp though!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
DianaB

That's really hard to come into a job with the last boss still there. Hopefully the old boss will leave soon so things can settle down......even then some people still have a hard time switching to a new boss. I hope things work out well for Bryan!!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
Janet

If there are people giving him a hard time.....they need to remember that there are others out there wanting their job. Don't know why people can't be more accepting.

I hope your daughter learns to like Houston a little more. It would be so much easier on her.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

My Dad did that when he sold his business. I doubt if the new buyer had problems though. There were new employees. My father mainly brought the new owner around to meet his farmers and his buyers.

I hope Bryan's "consultant/old owner" retires very soon! That sounds dreadful for him.

Brooke will learn to like Houston when school starts and she begins to meet some other mothers, hopefully. She might also become more independent, which is never a bad thing.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I found out today that the previous owner has gone to two days a week, which is good, BUT, there are NOT new employees. Most of them have worked for many many years for the previous owner. That is not good, but many are of retirement age, so they may be gone before too much longer. One of Bryan's problems is that he has to modernize the company's operations, and so many of the employees have been doing things the same way for years, so they don't want to change and it creates lots of problems.

OH yes! Brooke becoming more independent is a really good thing. She is very strong, decisive, and can readily take charge of a situation - but I can see now that they are in Houston, how much she really relied on me and how much stress it causes her to be 'on her own'. She'll be better in the long run though, I am sure.

Wouldn't you know it today, someone stole her cell phone (iPhone). They were eating at Chik-fla-a (fast food restaurant) and they finished and walked out to the car. Brooke said she hadn't even had time to get to the car when she realized she left her phone on the table. She went right back, but of course it was gone. She was due for an upgrade so it only cost $200, rather than $400, but STILL, that is a lot of money and A LOT of hassle.

She did not have her passcode turned on, and she had her home email on the phone with lots of important documents in the email folders, so she had to go home and move all her stuff into new folders. YEESH!

I wasn't using my passcode on my phone either, but needless to say I turned it on today!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Tiramisu

If only stress were rain! Wish your babies lived closer and I could be a pinch grandma.

My boss that recently transferred out had an iPad stolen and easily convinced me to use a passcode on my iPhone, iPad, and work phone. It's not that annoying to do.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
DianaB

How is Bryan and Brooke doing now? I sure hope that they are better this week than they were last week!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Janet

I didn't know about the passcode....guess I need to check it out. Hope Bryan and Brooke are doing much better.