4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 06-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
HALEY

Update - Micah

We went to the ENT, the doctor is very nice, his surgery is set up next Tuesday, don't know what time yet they call you a day ahead, i got all my instuctions for the night and morning before we go, poor baby can't have nothing to eat..
But here is the kicker!!!! Micah has a heart murmur... now i have to take him back to the peditrician to see how bad it is before his surgery, and he's probably going to need chest x-rays etc.. i am sooo pissed right now, all the times i had him to the doctors in the past two years, they never knew he had a heart murmur?
Then the ENT told me that the fluid is very bad in his left ear and he should have been seen a long time ago..
I tell you what if he has permanent damage in that ear cause of this i will sue that hospital!!! I am so mad at them right now, you wait till i go tonight. I am reseaching new peditricain right now, cause when this is all over with he will go to someone else...
Old 06-08-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Oh, Haley, so glad you went to the ENT and that he will be getting some relief. It can be so hard to know what to do. It's frustrating dealing with doctors and knowing who to trust. You're a very loving mom doing the best you can. So hope that all goes well. Sounds like you are in good hands now.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
HALEY

thanks marilyn, i'm just praying that he doesn't have any permanant hearing loss in that ear ...
i'll let you know what they say about the heart murmur.. he goes tonight at 6:00.. i just can't believe they never heard that heart murmur before!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
HALEY

here is what i found on heart murmurs !

Heart murmurs — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatments of abnormal heart sounds.

A normal heartbeat makes two sounds like "lubb-dupp" (sometimes described as "lub-DUB"), which are the sounds of your heart valves closing. Heart murmurs are abnormal sounds during your heartbeat cycle — such as whooshing or swishing — made by turbulent blood in or near your heart.

Heart murmurs can be present at birth (congenital) or develop later in life. A heart murmur isn't a disease — but murmurs may indicate an underlying heart problem.

Most heart murmurs are harmless (innocent) and don't need treatment, but some heart murmurs may require follow-up tests to be sure the murmur isn't caused by a serious underlying heart condition. Treatment, if needed, is directed at the underlying cause of your heart murmurs.

Your heart has two upper and two lower chambers. The upper chambers, the right and left atria, receive incoming blood. The lower chambers, the more muscular right and left ventricles, pump blood out of your heart. The heart valves, which keep blood flowing in the right direction, are gates at the chamber openings.

An abnormal heart murmur usually has no obvious signs, aside from the unusual sound your doctor hears when listening to your heart with a stethoscope. But when these signs or symptoms are present, they may indicate a heart problem:

Skin that appears blue, especially on your fingertips and lips
Swelling
Shortness of breath
Enlarged liver
Enlarged neck veins
Poor appetite and failure to grow normally (in infants)
Weight gain (in adults and children)
Heavy sweating with minimal or no exertion
Chest pain
Dizziness
Fainting
Causes
There are two types are heart murmurs: innocent murmurs and abnormal murmurs. A person with an innocent murmur has a normal heart. This type of heart murmur is common in newborns and children. More than half of all children have heart murmurs at some time, and most of those murmurs are harmless.

An abnormal heart murmur is more serious. In children, abnormal murmurs are usually caused by congenital heart disease. In adults, abnormal murmurs are most often due to acquired heart valve problems.

Innocent heart murmurs
An innocent murmur can occur when blood flows more rapidly through the heart. Conditions that may cause rapid blood flow through your heart, resulting in an innocent heart murmur, are:

Physical activity or exercise
Pregnancy
Fever
Anemia, in which there aren't enough healthy red blood cells to carry adequate oxygen to your body tissues
Hyperthyroidism, an excessive amount of thyroid hormone in your body
Changes to the heart due to aging or heart surgery also may cause an innocent heart murmur. Over time, innocent heart murmurs may disappear, or last your entire life without ever causing further health problems.

Abnormal heart murmurs
Although most heart murmurs aren't serious, some may result from a heart problem. The most common cause of abnormal murmurs in children is congenital heart disease — when babies are born with structural heart defects. Common congenital defects that cause heart murmurs include:

Holes in the heart or cardiac shunts. Many heart murmurs in children are the result of holes in the walls between heart chambers, known as septal defects. These may or may not be serious, depending on the size of the hole and its location. There are two types of septal defects. A ventricular septal defect is a hole between the lower chambers of the heart. Atrial septal defects are holes between the upper chambers. Shunts occur when there's an abnormal blood flow between the heart chambers or blood vessels, leading to a heart murmur.
Heart valve abnormalities. Congenital heart valve abnormalities are present at birth, but sometimes aren't discovered until much later in life. Examples include valves that don't allow enough blood through them (stenosis) or those that don't close properly and leak (regurgitation).
Other causes of abnormal heart murmurs include infections and conditions that damage the structures of the heart and are more common in older children or adults. For example:

Rheumatic fever. Although rare in the United States, rheumatic fever is a serious inflammatory condition that can occur when you don't receive prompt or complete treatment for a strep throat infection. In many cases, rheumatic fever may permanently affect the heart valves and interfere with normal blood flow through your heart. Prompt and proper treatment of strep throat with antibiotics can prevent strep throat from progressing to rheumatic fever.
Endocarditis. This is an infection and inflammation of the inner lining of your heart and valves. Endocarditis typically occurs when bacteria or other germs from another part of your body, such as your mouth, spread through your bloodstream and lodge in your heart. Left untreated, endocarditis can damage or destroy your heart valves. This condition usually occurs in people who already have heart abnormalities.
Valve calcification. This hardening or thickening of valves, called mitral or aortic valve stenosis, can occur as you age. These valves may not work as well as they once did, making it harder for blood to flow through your heart, resulting in murmurs.
Mitral valve prolapse. In this condition, the valve between your heart's left upper chamber (left atrium) and the left lower chamber (left ventricle) doesn't close properly. When the left ventricle contracts, the valve's leaflets bulge (prolapse) upward or back into the atrium, which may cause a murmur. This condition is sometimes present at birth, but not detected until adulthood.
Tests and diagnosis
Heart murmurs are usually detected when your doctor listens to your heart using a stethoscope during a physical exam.

To determine whether the murmur is innocent or abnormal, your doctor will consider:

How loud is it? This is rated on a scale from 1 to 6, with 6 being the loudest.
Where in your heart is it? And can it be heard in your neck or back?
What pitch is it? Is it high-, medium- or low-pitched?
What affects the sound? If you change your body position or exercise, does it affect the sound?
When does it occur, and for how long? Systolic murmurs occur when your heart is squeezing blood out. Diastolic murmurs are heard when your heart is filling with blood. Continuous murmurs occur during the entire heartbeat cycle. Both diastolic and continuous murmurs often indicate a heart defect or disease that needs more evaluation.
Your doctor will also look for other signs and symptoms of heart problems and ask about your medical history and whether other family members have had heart murmurs or other heart conditions.

Additional tests
If your doctor suspects the heart murmur is abnormal, you may need additional tests .
Old 06-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Sometimes kids that age have a heart murmur that comes and goes. My granddaughter did (she is 2). Only two times did it show up at the pediatricians office. We took her to a pediatric cardiologist who did an ekg and said it was nothing and common in kids that age. But it does need to be checked out to be sure it is nothing.

I would definitely be changing pediatricians, for the ear fluid problem - that is not right.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
HALEY

Oh Gayle, i am also demanding another hearing test after he gets his tubes in, i'm to the point now i really don't care if i have to pay for it. I will!!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Haley, I found out I had a heart murmur after I had children. I had been to many drs. over the years and no one ever caught it. Till today they hear it sometimes, and other times they don't.

I don't blame you to be pissed at the dr. because of the ear fluid. I will say a pray that he does not have any permanent hearing loss in his ear.. Good luck tonight...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
HALEY

thanks Gina, i just wish he was getting his ears done this week, i am carrying my phone everywhere with me, i told them if they have any cancellations i don't care if its 4 am, to call me i will be there..
i'm just frustrated... pissed.... sad... just a mess.. that he has to go thru this pain when this could have been taking care of months ago... he cries in his sleep .. i just feel so bad for him... i'm keeping him on motrin til the surgury... i don't care what they say...
Old 06-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #9
HALEY

i also found this on ear infections / fluid

Recurrent ear infections can lead to hearing loss as well. During these infections, a child's middle ear can fill with fluid that becomes infected. The fluid, which often remains in the ear for weeks after the infection is gone, can cause both temporary hearing loss (because it's hard to hear through an ear filled with fluid) and permanent hearing loss (since the fluid can erode or scar the eardrum over time).

If your baby has recurrent ear infections or middle ear fluid, his doctor may recommend a hearing test. She may also recommend inserting tubes into your baby's eardrums so that any fluid that accumulates behind them will be able to drain out.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I know how fustrating it is do have a child with bad ear infections. I had a friend that had 3 daughters that all went through this. I'm glad to hear that Micah is finally going to get his tubes in. It will help get that fluid and infection out and he'll feel better.

I, too, think that it's a good idea to find a new doctor. You've certainly gone around enough times with this one. I hope that you find a really good one. Hugs, Haley!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
HALEY

Thanks Diana, i thoughts these were the best doctors around, heard nothing but good reviews, but there just not working out for us... been searching for another peditrician around the pgh area.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
It's good everything is in motion now so poor Micah can be taken care of. I'd be upset with the Drs too and would go and talk with a few before I'd make a decision. Micah is going to feel so much better with the tubes.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #13
HALEY

i know Janet, i just wish they could have gotten him in this week instead of next week.. now i have to go see how bad this heart murmur is...
Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Haley, sweetie, cheer up. The heart murmur may be nothing to worry about. He may not have hearing damage. It's sometimes easier to deal with the real problems as they come rather than worrying about what we can't control. You seem to be on the right track. Hopefully he will get through this and be a big strapping healthy young man in a few years with this all as a distant memory.

Put your burdens on the Father of all who loves us and wants us to go to Him for comfort. Put this in God's hands and let Him help you. You're doing a beautiful job!!!

Love you, M.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #15
HALEY

Your doctor will also look for other signs and symptoms of heart problems and ask about your medical history and whether other family members have had heart murmurs or other heart conditions.

This is what i'm worried about Mariyln, my family history with heart problems is terrible! Mike side is no better, Dad died at age 45, and Brother died at age 39.