4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Arts & Crafts

Old 08-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
I've decided to redecorate

My house is a bit tired and sad looking. It was built in 1979 and most everything is original which translates to wore out and ugly. lol

So I decided that since I need to update I might as well jump into a new style altogether. I've loved the country shabby chic look and my wore out house assimilated all of that stuff without protest, but it never really fit in. It was much more at home in my big old farm house and should have been left there. lol

So tonight I finally bit the bullet and bought things to get started on the new look. I figure I'll start small since the bathroom just got a new floor and paint to see if I'm comfortable with the new look before I go too far into it.

I put down a wood look vinyl floor that truly does look and feel much like wood planks. I love it! I painted the ceiling and walls a crisp white and am doing a taupe accent wall. I bought new towels that are white, with taupe and deep black accents. I bought fabric to make curtains with those same colors in. I'm replacing the shower curtain with a 2-tone taupe vertical stripe one, and got a dark brown metal planter with a large english ivy to add some life to the room.

My choice of colors was inspired by a simple little black and white print I picked up at a second hand shop. In the picture there's a little boy sitting on a fence with his puppy at his feet and both have their back to you. I thought it would be cute in a bathroom. I have to have a touch of humor snuck in somewhere. The background is shades of cream and taupe with a black frame.

I picked up a couple of scented candles and a white metal 3 shelf wall unit that has a towel bar on it's bottom. I also got a couple of new white towel bars to replace the ugly mismatched ones that had been in there. Now I just need to get the curtains sewn and put everything together!

We plan to put wood flooring in the living room soon too, so I've been looking for just the right area rug for it. I found one I absolutely love, but dh would have me committed if I bought it. It's about $3.500 which would send him through the roof. lol I showed it to Emmsmom and she agreed it's gorgeous, but a bit out of my range. lol So the search continues.

What color schemes do you enjoy in your homes? I'd love to get some new ideas! Where do you draw your decorating inspiration from?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

It's always so much fun to redecorate. It sounds like your bathroom is going to be very nice! After you get it all together you know that we'll want pictures!!!

I have a piece that would be considered shabby chic. It's an antique table that's been painted and sanded a really, really pale pink. It's very pretty.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I would love to redecorate, but I'm just not good at it. Oh I can paint, but to pick accessories and all...I just don't have the talent. I'd need someone to come help me.....and bring money.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Shada

I really don't have any decorating sense.. I just surround myself with items I love!

Some of it matches, some of it doesn't, but it all works out.
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Janet

So my friend...had any time to redecorate...look at books...daydream about what you'd like to change???? I know you've been busy with the doggies and now with the kids, but forgot you were wanting to redecorate. Made any progress?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
DianaB

Yeah Tink, how's it going?

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #7
Tiramisu

I had to decorate around dead animals. My Hubby has 3 deer, 2 elk, 1 red fox, and 1 turkey mounts on the den walls. We have a set of long horns on the wall and a huge cowhide on the floor. So, I've carried the "earthy" theme throughout the house. Almost every room is painted some tone of brown - tan/almond/gold.

Bedroom furniture matches in each individual room and the dining room finally matches, but the den and my sewing room are lovingly mismatched.

I'm still in a declutter mode, so I've made notes to things to pack away when I can walk again. I have too many pictures on my walls. I need to sort them out. Each of the kids has a wall in the dining room for pictures. I put one big picture of them in the middle and smaller ones surrounding that of them and their families. So the walls are almost full (halfway up). There's easily 100 framed pictures in there.

I've done collections of butterflies, lighthouses, thimbles, dolls, and plates. I sold the butterflies and thimbles. The lighthouses, plates and dolls are packed away.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #8
DianaB

Your decorating sounds very nice, Sandy, but I would hate to have to decorate around my husband's trophies especially since I don't have a family room. You're going to have to take some pictures when you're able to get it the way you want it.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Tiramisu

Diana, do we ever get it the way we want it?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
DianaB

No, not really. As soon as I get new furniture I start dreaming of what I would want the next piece to be. I love to decorate and am always picking up something more to add.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Tink,

What happened to the decorating? How about pictures of the new look in the bathroom?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:49 AM   #12
Janet

Tink....don't you dare leave us for another....LOL...we love and need you here. I miss you!

Did you do any redecorating or have you just been too busy with everything going on?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
Algopsy09

Ive decided to redecorate

Pretty much.

Like I said above, the only advice is to write what you feel.

Later on, when its all done, you can correct and edit it and whatnot.

Oh, and dont listen to OpinionChameleon