4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You or They Pay!

Okay, I saw a few posts where the person is paying their student loan and another where the parent is wanting to pay off student loans.

So the big question is.......

Who should pay for the child's college education? The child (student) or the parents and ......why?

Don't know why I asked that question, cause I just don't know how to answer it. I suppose if I had money out the whazoo, I would pay for my child's college education...but since I don't.....he'll have to if he wants to go.

I can't imagine being a young person and starting life off with thousands of dollars in debt after a college education.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Ponyup

My parents have money out the wazoo & it was important to my dad that he pay for our schooling. He had to work his ass off to get through school & he didn't want that for us. It was more important that we go to college. My husband's family didn't have money, but they all worked together so that Jeremy good go to a very expensive private school in Indiana (very prestigous). I feel that the family needs to work out what works for them. If the child wants to go, the parents should help as much as they can.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I would help, but my son would also have to show me that he's "working" for it!

I see a lot of kids here work as they go along to pay or help pay for their education.

It must be hard to make a start in life with huge education bills to pay off!! I can't imagine having to do that.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
2tiredmom

What we are doing is the kids pay 1/2 and we pay 1/2.
But it still is alot of money. That we don't have. But what can
you do. I never went to college and I want my kids to have a better life than what I have had.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Taurus Babe

I know how fortunate I am to have had my parents pay for college (everything, boarding, books, tutition, and spending money) and they are not rich by any standards. My dad was even layed off while I was (I still am) in college.
I think parents should pay. It's suggested that you start a college savings fund for your child as soon as you find out she/he's on the way. Even if you don't start that early, there is time to save, and as a parent I think it is super important that you instill in your child how important college and pay for it.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I wish that we had the money to pay for my daughter's college. She's had to take out student loans to help her out. I pay for her books and try to help her out when she needs it. I think that by making her loans her responsibility that she has taken her schooling seriously. No partying or messing around for her, because she's paying for it. She's determined to graduate and get a good job so that she can get her loans all paid off. I'm very proud of her. She will graduate this spring with a bachelors in biology. She's applying to pharmacy and physician's assistant schools.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Taurus Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB
I wish that we had the money to pay for my daughter's college. She's had to take out student loans to help her out. I pay for her books and try to help her out when she needs it. I think that by making her loans her responsibility that she has taken her schooling seriously. No partying or messing around for her, because she's paying for it. She's determined to graduate and get a good job so that she can get her loans all paid off. I'm very proud of her. She will graduate this spring with a bachelors in biology. She's applying to pharmacy and physician's assistant schools.
It does instill a more serious side, and I do think that it makes students take school more seriously. Good for your daughter!! I bet you're so proud of her!
Old 11-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I've been paying for my own education. It has put a lot of stress on me on top of regular school stress! My parents did end up paying tuition for my last semester of school, because with all of my money together I couldn't afford it on top of paying rent etc for the rest of the year. However, that put a pretty big financial strain on them, and my mom even told me on the weekend she doesn't know if we'll have Christmas presents this year. From my own experiences, when I have children I would like to start accounts for them at birth. I could put some extra money in every month and they can either use the money for school, or moving out after graduation.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
khardy57

I didn't go to college, but my sisters did. When my older sister went, my Daddy was in the middle of treatment for throat cancer and my parents couldn't help her. She worked 2 jobs and put herself thru. She told me one time that if you want it bad enough you'll find a way. She had pell grants and scholarships along with her 2 jobs.

My oldest son went to school on the HOPE scholarship. It's wonderful. I think if you can afford to help you should, if not they'll find a way, but I think it's important for the child to help pay for their education.
khardy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB

Diana Congrads to your daughter! You must be very proud of her , my daughter is in second year of college and taking all science courses towards her goal to be an optemitrist. Medical field is a very hard profession to get through.

As far as my kids I have two, my son is in a community college and then switches over to private in Jan. He has another year, I have paid his tutution, books etc. for it was not much. My daughter on the other hand is in a private school , boards there. She does take out student loans but not much. Plus she does has a partial scholarship so that helps. I try to help her out to as much as possible. I hate to see her graduate and have 100,000 or more in debt. So I work and try to do my best to help them both out. As long that I see them doing well in school and not messing up , I am there for them. I don't tell my daughter the extent that I am paying so she thinks she has much more to pay later...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:11 AM   #11
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Quote:
It does instill a more serious side, and I do think that it makes students take school more seriously. Good for your daughter!! I bet you're so proud of her!

Quote:
Diana Congrads to your daughter! You must be very proud of her , my daughter is in second year of college and taking all science courses towards her goal to be an optemitrist. Medical field is a very hard profession to get through.

Thanks!! Yes, I am very proud of her. She started out at a local jr. college to save money and she has been working at a pharmacy to help pay for her schooling. She's really been careful with her spending. If she does get into either the pharmacy school or the physician's assistant school she's going to have to take out loans to get through them. They're really expensive, but she'll have a good job to help pay them off when she's through. I just hate her starting life with loans hovering over her.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

My parents took out student loans in my name and in their name for me to go to college. They are paying the student loans right now, as I am planning on going back to school, but as soon as I graduate from law school, I am taking over the student loan payments. I do not feel like my parents should have to pay for something that I am profiting from. I will also personally take out student loans to pay for my law school. My husband took out student loans to pay for him medical school. Everyone takes out student loans...it isn't that big of a deal.

Janet, I would highly encourgae your son to go to college. You can help him financially by doing as my parents did and help him take out student loans to pay for college.
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #13
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I agree Rebecca...my daughter took out student loan and we are co signers...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
May5

I am fortunate enough to have my parents pay for my education. My dad worked his butt off to pay for his education, so he feels that the biggest gift he could give my brother and I is our education. They've paid for tuition, dorm, books, etc. but if we wanted extra spending money, we had to work (we always have). Also, they only paid 4 years of college - no more. If we failed or something to that effect, it was our responsibility to pay for that. Oh, also, we had to get good grades. We have to show we're doing our very best since they're doing their very best for us too.

I think every family chooses. If you have enough money to pay for your kids, I think it's great; it lessens the stress of schoolwork and finances. HOWEVER, if you can't afford it, student loans are no big deal. My husband went to private school and he worked hard for it. The important thing is to support and encourage your children to go to college no matter what. In this day and age it's crucial to have an education.