4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Say one for me too

I have not felt well for a long time, went to the Doctor today and I do have Vertigo, which I knew, but my HDL good and bad is high, blood pressure high, they did an EKG and will have to have an echo cardiagram and a stress test. He is worried about my heart and said to take an aspirin everyday for the rest of my life and if I feel discomfort in my chest or back, short of breath and nausua, to call 911. I have experienced discomfort in my chest several times. They did a chest X-Ray and that was ok.
It is Hell getting old.
Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Donna,

I'm sorry you're not well. Prayers are coming. As each thing is gotten under control, you'll feel better. I hope it's soon.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Donna, I hope that your feeling better soon. As far as the HDL you can watch what you eat, exercise and there is medication for high blood pressure. To bring everything down . You need to get on a regiment .. Good luck I will keep you in my prayers..
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Gina's right. I'm trying to lose weight so I can get off my blood pressure medicine. It takes discipline to stay healthy...sucks!!!...LOL.

Hope you get to feeling better real soon.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I agree that getting old isn't any fun! I had one year that it seemed like everything that could go wrong with my heath did. I just try to look on the bright side and live everyday to the fullest. I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it. Do you know how many times in the Bible that the phrase "Fear not" is listed? It's 62 times in the King James version!!

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/...n=1&spanend=73
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Donna, I've had a heart attack and had no pain in my chest or back. Mine was all on the inside of my arms all the way to the wrist and I felt like i had a toothache in my lower front teeth.

It's been several years since mine and I'm on a bunch of medications, have 2 stents, and while I'll never have the energy I'd like to have, for the most part I do fine. Stress is the enemy and I now try to live life MY way since I know my limits and abilities. Listen to your body and try not to freak out. So far you're just being warned that it's time to start writing your own script... which is actually very liberating once you accept it!

HUGS
Old 05-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #8
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Say one for me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Donna, I've had a heart attack and had no pain in my chest or back. Mine was all on the inside of my arms all the way to the wrist and I felt like i had a toothache in my lower front teeth.

It's been several years since mine and I'm on a bunch of medications, have 2 stents, and while I'll never have the energy I'd like to have, for the most part I do fine. Stress is the enemy and I now try to live life MY way since I know my limits and abilities. Listen to your body and try not to freak out. So far you're just being warned that it's time to start writing your own script... which is actually very liberating once you accept it!

HUGS
Wow, you are so young to have had a heart attack. Did you family have a history of heart disease? There's none that I know of in my family. I am a very anxious, impatient, worrier.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Say one for me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB View Post
I agree that getting old isn't any fun! I had one year that it seemed like everything that could go wrong with my heath did. I just try to look on the bright side and live everyday to the fullest. I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it. Do you know how many times in the Bible that the phrase "Fear not" is listed? It's 62 times in the King James version!!

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/...n=1&spanend=73
I am a Christian but have always had a feeling of fear.
My health problems really got me down 2 years ago with spinal issues, plus fibromyalgia, then the next year everything that could go wrong with my eyes did, "almost", not really serious things but could not do physical excercise for 2 years so I am weak. Now the vertigo and they want me to take a stress test next week. Will have the echo cardiagram tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing your feelings. I appreciate my friends here.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Tink

My father died of his first heart attack at age 64. My mothers brother died of one at age 44. My cousin started having heart attacks in his mid 30's and lived several years with only 20% heart function. 3 of my 4 grandparents died of heart related issues. So yes, I get it from BOTH sides of my family.

If you waste time worrying about it, you can actually make it worse. Stress produces adrenaline... adrenaline when not burned off, attacks the heart and causes more problems. There's a really good book entitled "Is it worth dying for" that one of my cardiac nurses had me read that explains the damage stress causes. It might be a good read for you.

If you're able, start going for walks every day. If you can keep yourself active and get medications for your issues, you might never have a heart attack at all. I don't know you, so have no clue what shape you're in, but if you're overweight, even dropping 10% of your excess can make a big difference. Drink plenty of water, spend time with people and projects that you enjoy... it all helps!

You now have a good reason to reprioritize and making each day a good one. Use it as a wake up call and even if you do live another 40 yrs, it won't be wasted effort because they'll be 40 GREAT years.

PS I have hypothyroid, diabetes, arthritis, allergies, hypertension, hypercholesterol, and coronary artery disease. So you're NOT alone... it really is all in how you choose to approach it how well you'll be able to do.

Last edited by Tink; 05-26-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #11
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Say one for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
My father died of his first heart attack at age 64. My mothers brother died of one at age 44. My cousin started having heart attacks in his mid 30's and lived several years with only 20% heart function. 3 of my 4 grandparents died of heart related issues. So yes, I get it from BOTH sides of my family.

If you waste time worrying about it, you can actually make it worse. Stress produces adrenaline... adrenaline when not burned off, attacks the heart and causes more problems. There's a really good book entitled "Is it worth dying for" that one of my cardiac nurses had me read that explains the damage stress causes. It might be a good read for you.

If you're able, start going for walks every day. If you can keep yourself active and get medications for your issues, you might never have a heart attack at all. I don't know you, so have no clue what shape you're in, but if you're overweight, even dropping 10% of your excess can make a big difference. Drink plenty of water, spend time with people and projects that you enjoy... it all helps!

You now have a good reason to reprioritize and making each day a good one. Use it as a wake up call and even if you do live another 40 yrs, it won't be wasted effort because they'll be 40 GREAT years.

PS I have hypothyroid, diabetes, arthritis, allergies, hypertension, hypercholesterol, and coronary artery disease. So you're NOT alone... it really is all in how you choose to approach it how well you'll be able to do.
Oh my, that is not a good family history, so sorry.
I am not over weight, 5-4" and weigh 125, my blood pressure has always been really low, 70/98, sometimes lower. Now it is 148/88, not bad but for me, it is.
I will not live another 40 years, I turned 64 May 24th.
Love chatting with you. And I love Wisconsin, miss the seasons and the beautiful leaves.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Tink

Donna, just being in pain can make the blood pressure go up. When I went to ER for Bells Palsy I had an extreme headache from the nerve cluster that was infected, which had my blood pressure up to 213/130! Yes, I often have high blood pressure, but nothing like that! Unless it's up again at your next visit, it could be related to you being in more pain that usual that day, stress, water retention, or any number of things. It bears watching, but isn't high enough that they'll even put you on meds for it yet. Try not to worry yet, as it's likely a temporary thing.

The depression that often accompanies fybromyalgia I think is sometimes the hardest of the symptoms involved. I have a cousin I'm close to who has it, and I see how she struggles sometimes.

Being a good weight and having had low blood pressure before are definitely in your favor. Good for you!
I'll keep you in my prayers and if you need to talk, please feel free to contact me.
my email addy is tink@centurytel.net
Old 05-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Donna,

I agree with Tink as far as doing things that you enjoy. You sound stressed, and scared. I'm sending you prayers for your health and for peace of mind.

I hope your tests are going well.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #14
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

say one for me too

Thanks again, had the echo cardiagram done today, it will be a week before I know anything. Then the STRESS TEST Can you tell I love this EEK icon?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
Tink

Donna, if you've had your EKG and they let you go home the news is usually good.
IF there was a problem, the EKG tech would have recognized it, contacted your dr and they'd have rushed the other tests or admitted you for observation. While a tech isn't allowed to give you the results, they usually know how to read them and will alert the dr if there's a major concern.

So I'm thinking you passed this part at least!

Keep us posted hon. We'll keep praying for you.