4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 11-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I did SUCH a dumb thing!

Well, I got to Seattle last Thursday. On Friday I fell down the stairs at Dustin's house. It was just the last 4 stairs, but I was sort of stepping down sideways and I really twisted my knee. I was supposed to stay there until the 8th, but I came home Tuesday. I had to get wheelchair help at the airport... it was such a long day! Anyway, I went to the Orthopedic doc Thursday. He did xrays and no bones are broken, so I had an MRI done yesterday. I'm supposed to find out those results on Tuesday. It's still really sore, and I sure hope it is something that will heal without surgery.

I hated to leave Seattle so early! I really wanted to get some food cooked and in the freezer for them, deep clean the house... you know, just go be supermom, lol! Joy had tickets for us to go to the Ballet. I've never been to a "real" ballet before, but maybe I'll get another chance
Old 11-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh no Betsi! I hope everything turns out OK with NO NO NO surgery. I did a similar thing once - really stupid. I was visiting a friend in California and there was a step down into the den. I was not paying attention and stepped off the step and hyperextended my knee. I thought I was going to die. It hurt so bad. I limped around the rest of the visit and had to go to the doctor when I got home. Thankfully, it healed on its own, but the knee has never been the same. The bad thing is that it was my good knee. I blew out my ACL in the other knee playing basketball in HS. Back then, they did not graft ACL's so I just don't have one, which makes that knee really loose and unstable.

I'm resigned to having at least one, if not two knee replacements in my future.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Betsi, what a shame! For you to cut short a family visit, it had to really be bad!!!

Hopefully, it's just a sprain. I once slipped in the cats' water bowl that had tipped over. What pain! It does take quite a while for a sprain to heal, but it does heal, and no surgery!

Keep us posted!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

How awful!! I just hate that you had to cut your trip short........I know how much you go and enjoy being with the kids. I hope you're right and your knee heals without surgery. The ballet will still be there for another time but how disappointing that you didn't get to go. I hope you get better soon.......Hugs!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Betsi, I hope you're feeling better now. It was a shame you had to leave early, but we usually feel and heal better at home.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Well, my doctor app't was today instead of tomorrow..duh! Anyway.. I have a complete tear of my MCL. It's my left knee, so that's the ligament that runs on the inside of my kneecap. It is torn off of the femur, but the doctor said it will heal by itself, YAY!! I am in a huge ugly brace for 3 weeks, only to be taken off to bathe.

There are of couple of other things wrong. I have degenerative-type tears (that's a nice way of saying I'm getting old) in my meniscus that were aggravated by the fall. There is also a piece of cartilage in there somewhere that may have to be surgically removed, but that can't be done until my MCL heals. Oh and of course I have osteoarthritis

My knee does feel better in the brace. Thank you all for your concern
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Tiramisu

Sorry, get your oldness healed real soon.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm working on the magic potion to heal my oldness NOW!!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Betsi! I'm sorry the injury is so bad, but glad it can heal on it's own! The cartilage can be fixed with just a little probe into the knee and sometimes they don't fix it if it doesn't bother you much. It's an easy surgery if they have to do it.

Take it easy and get that knee healed!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I will Gayle, thanks!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
Janet

Oh Betsi, you poor thing! It sounds horrible but I'm really glad it doesn't feel quite as bad with the brace. It's also great that it will heal on it's own. Growing older can sometimes suck can't it?....lol. I've got more aches and pains than I care to. I'm sure if you take good care of you self and do what the Dr. tells you, that you'll be healed in no time. Hugs to you girl!!!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Betsi I hope you recuperate quickly. Just rest and take all the supplements you need too.

Sending you positive thoughts and energy your way.

Ballet can hold for another day your health and safety first.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh my!!! The body doesn't listen when we start to age, does it? I feel so bad for you, with a brace, and pain!

Take it easy, and heal easily, Betsi!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Oh Betsi......I'm so sorry......but very thankful that it will heal on it's own. Getting old is just awful!! Take things easy and let Mike wait on you for a change!!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Janet

Hope your pain has eased up some Betsi. You should let people wait on you while you can, once you're all healed...it's back to being the woman of the house...lol