4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

@#$%^* computer!!!

Remember that a couple of months ago, my computer crashed? And I sent it back to Toshiba and got a new hard drive?

Well, it's acting up again!!!

I called the computer guy I use, but decided to call Toshiba instead of spending money on the computer tech, Ed. They told me to use the recovery disk and see if that works. Of course, that means saving all that I can on my flash drive, and downloading things again like Picasa, etc., setting up all of my programs, blah, blah, blah. It's not so hard once you've done it a few times, but I can't get my saved email stuff.

Needless to say, it is still not perfect. Actually, it's really messed up! Since I'm under warranty until 12/15/09, I am going to send it back. I figure I might as well get a new hard drive again as long as I'm not paying. I'll be without it for about a week at the most, and I do have my old, slooooooowwww laptop to use. It will keep me off the computer for a few days too. Maybe I can get more done in the house!
(Unless I have to go over to Jessie's to help out with the kids, new puppies, etc.)

Venting is such a good thing! I feel better already

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Having computers can be such a pain in the butt, but I sure wouldn't want to be without it.

Hubby had a trojan virus on his laptop and took it in to be repaired. Some things still don't work the way the did when he first got it, but what can ya do? I hope you get yours fixed quickly.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Our daughter's Toshiba needs a new hard drive. She has a friend who can replace it. She just had to buy the drive. She's waiting for him to tell her just which one to get. She's been told it will cost less than $100 since the labor will be free. Fingers crossed on this one.

Judy hope yours gets fixed and lasts a very loooooooooooooong time!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I HATE computer trouble!! I hope yours is resolved soon. I'm glad it's still under warranty!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
paula1961

Judy, I hate that you are having computer problems. That is so aggravating! Hope you get it fixed soon. We'll miss ya if you're not on for a few days. Is your dog having puppies or your daughter's? What kind are they? I love puppies
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula1961 View Post
Judy, I hate that you are having computer problems. That is so aggravating! Hope you get it fixed soon. We'll miss ya if you're not on for a few days. Is your dog having puppies or your daughter's? What kind are they? I love puppies
The puppies are Jessie's malamutes. They just had one litter, and now have two pregnant beauties. They're all from the same father.

Their website is catskillalaskanmalamutes.com. The last litter was so cute!

Toshiba may not fix my laptop. They are being sleazy. Since they just replaced the hard drive, they may not replace it. We'll just see about that

I am going to call my computer guy and see what he thinks about it.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Shada

Good luck Judy!! Get tuff girl!!!!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Computer problems are just the PITS! I get so frustrated! I'm sorry you are dealing with it!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:51 AM   #9
Janet

I don't know if Toshiba will give in or not Judy. We had trouble with our Toshiba TV...remember? It was just a little over 1 year old. We had to have a new computer thingy put in it. They wouldn't give us a break or anything. The guy who fixed it said Toshiba very seldom helps their customers.

Also the guy at the computer place said that Toshiba hard drives go out all the time, it's a common problem with them and that even when they are replaced.....they'll go out.

Seems like we can't depend on good products or good service with some companies.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Mac - get a Mac! I know, I know, they are expensive - but I've had Macs since 1989 and never had a problem with any of them - they've never been broken nor in the shop!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I don't know if Toshiba will give in or not Judy. We had trouble with our Toshiba TV...remember? It was just a little over 1 year old. We had to have a new computer thingy put in it. They wouldn't give us a break or anything. The guy who fixed it said Toshiba very seldom helps their customers.

Also the guy at the computer place said that Toshiba hard drives go out all the time, it's a common problem with them and that even when they are replaced.....they'll go out.

Seems like we can't depend on good products or good service with some companies.
I do remember! My computer guy said the same thing about the hard drives.
I thibk I fixed it. We'll soon see.

Gail, you are the second person who recommended MAC. It is a thought for the next computer.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
Janet

I really think I'll get a Mac for my next computer. I've not heard one bad thing about them. It's just going to be awhile....a long while...lol
Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I hope that your computer is alright. There's nothing more fustrating than computer trouble!!

The laptops that the school supplies to the students are Macs. Amy had one when she worked there too and she just loved it. It's really different to learn to use but they rarely get viruses and stuff like that. It would probably be worth looking into.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #14
flantee09

# computer

When you turn on your computer, does the CPU fan spin?
Mine died out a couple months ago and the comuter just turned off.

But, from what you said it seems like it is the motherboard. Anyone else have any sugessions or ways to test it?