4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 11-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Arrrrrggggg

We bought our home just 17 months ago. It's a rural property in a small village and sits on just less than an acre lot. When we bought it, we knew that there were some lot line issues in the area, but the lines have been the same accepted ones since I was a child growing up here, so we didn't get overly concerned about it. We talked about it at that time with the couple who was renting the lot next door, and they admitted that their swingset was likely on our lot, but made no effort to move it. Now that we want to put up a fence to contain our dog, they're singing a completely different tune.

The lot next to us was just bought by that couple. They're coming out and yelling ridiculous threats at us and keep saying they're going to tear out all the trees we planted this past summer. The trees are inside what we were told is our lot line by the people we bought it from AND the people they bought their place from. We've known the couple they bought their lot from for many years and have talked with them recently about this.

The people who bought the neighboring lot are unsavory characters to say the least. The man of the house has been in jail many times for battery, meth use, alcohol related problems, and claims to be disabled, so doesn't work. His new bride has 2 children from a previous marriage that have been taken away and given back to her at least once since we moved here. She doesn't watch the kids who are 2 and 4, and we've had to chase them out of the road many times while they were out playing unwatched. Last summer when they were 1 and 3, they were out in their 3 foot deep blow up pool with no adults in sight. I'm afraid they're going to end up hurt or worse due to the neglect.

They also have 2 dogs who are outside with no shelter, are fed sporadically, and get kicked and beaten if they get in the way. They tossed their 3 cats outside last January and left a dog tied in the yard when she ran off with his best friend, and he went to jail for allegedly trying to kill her while under the influence of meth.

They have another man living with them who is also "disabled" and is often the instigator of their verbal abuse on us. The 2 men are both about 40 and the woman is in her mid 20's. The "man of the house" has a mother who enables him like a toddler. She bought the trailer house they live in and the lot it's parked on.
They have nothing in their own names because they have so many judgements against them that they can't. I've seen the papers at the court house to prove everything I've said about them and wonder what I don't know!

Anyway, I'm totally fed up with these people and would love to hear any ideas that are legal and feasible to make this stop.
We are going to have to get a survey done to determine where the lines are and put up a tall privacy fence to keep our sanity, but since that's going to cost us a BUNDLE, it's not going to happen overnight. I ignore them and they've learned they get no response out of me. Hubby on the other hand wants to be able to work in the garage which is close to the boundry between the 2 places, so gets the lions share of the heckling. It's making life very stressful!

What do you do with neighbors like this? We get along great with all our other neighbors, and have known most for many years before moving here. They don't associate with this crazy bunch at all either. Most are afraid to even acknowledge them for rear that they will be their target next.

Thanks for reading. I'm just really frustrated!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Wow, Tink that would be an awful situation to deal with everyday. When you bought your place there should have been a survey then. Not sure what you've already done, but go to your county surveyor office and they will have the boundaries there. If they have not been done in a long time, then you will most likely have to have it done again. Under the circumstances, I would get it done as soon as possible. These people sound like they could be very dangerous. A situation like this needs an immediate remedy. I wish you the best, of course. Let us know what you decide to do...but for your own safety, please get the survey done asap.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Marilyn

I agree with Janet. There should have been a survey when you bought the property, and they should have left some metal pegs marking the boundary.

Maybe your neighbors will get caught doing something that will send them to jail and out of your hair!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Tink

Thanks ladies!
The reason there wasn't a survey done when we bought is that we bought on a land contract, so the title doesn't officially change hands until we're done paying for the property which will be in 3.5 yrs or less.

We did go to the county zoning office and were told the issue that caused the boundary disputes in this area has now been corrected, so whe we get a survey it will be indisputable. My parents old house was affected by this same issue and is just down the road from ours. When Mom sold it and there was a survey done, the lot shifted about 30 feet north of where they had always believed it to be.

IF ours goes 30 feet in the same direction we will be moving even closer to those wacky people. I'm sure that would go over big!

Marilyn, I know it's not nice, but I told hubby the same thing as you said... hopefully they'll end up in jail soon again so we will have some peace. Hubby and wife are both on probation, so it's possible. They're not allowed to own or possess firearms for one thing, and they already told us they plan to go deer hunting, so that's a violation. They're also not allowed to drink, and carry in cases of beer frequently, and both drive without a valid license. Now they've been driving an unlicensed snowmoblie ON the road which is also illegal. We have snowmoblie tracks on 2 sides of our lot from them. So I think it's just a matter of time.

My husband drives semi, so his truck is parked between their house and ours in our driveway. I'm half hoping they will decide to mess with that, as it would be a federal offense if they do any damage or tamper with it. They'd end up with the State and federal marshalls and homeland security involved then.

A survey will cost us about $2,000, so we need some time to save that up. I'm afraid if we don't put up a stout fence at the same time that they'll just be bugging us even after that's done.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:25 AM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I don't understand why it will cost so much. Our county surveyor only charged around $400. I would check out all avenues to have a survey done right away.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:08 AM   #6
Taurus Babe

Gosh that sounds terrible. I would be calling social services EVERY time I saw, or heck, thought I saw those kids unsupervised, etc. The more legal things that are against them, maybe the easier it will be to get rid of them.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I realize that you're not quite ready to put up a fence, but I would have it surveyed before I put one up just to make sure that I had it in the right place. Do you have a lawyer that you could call and ask a few questions? He might be able to help you with some answers. He'll probably recommend a survey. Good luck!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
Tink

Thanks all!

I was a realtor for 4 years, so have quite a few friends and acquaintances who are in the business still. They all suggest we just get a survey and be done with it.

We've sent our legal description to a couple of surveyors to get estimates from them on how much it will cost to get it done. The determining factor will be how far our lot is from an established major marker since that's what they use for a starting point. We had a survey done on a different property in 1985 and that one cost us over $2,000! It was $65 an hr back then and most likely has gone up since then.

We need to get a survey and then put up a nice stout tall fence.

Hubby talked with a local county police officer about the situation and was told they'd not put much past our neighbor... especially if he's drinking or on drugs. So we're to call them if we have any problems and they'll come out as needed.

Janet, I hope you're right! If the survey is under $500 I'll order it right now!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Here in the North East the title company handles the survey....
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
Tink

Gina, here the Title company determines whether the title to the property is free of liens, is legally owned by a given individual, and can offer title insurance to protect a land owner from title infringments or help transfer ownership.
Yet a surveyor is needed to actually mark out the boundary lines on a property. They can go from markers found on range/section corners and measure to the place in the legal description, or use GPS equipment to find the lines. Most around here still go the low-tech way and still it's a very involved process. There's a lot of training involved to become a surveyor. They are in high demand and charge a LOT for their services.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
Marilyn

It might not be nice to wish people like your neighbors would end up in jail, but jails are meant to protect the decent people in our land. If it gets to the point that you feel sufficiently threatened, have the opportunity and know that your law enforcement people will keep things confidential, in your situation, I would not hesitate to turn them in if I knew for certain that they are engaging in an illegal activity. That may seem harsh and unchristian, but you have to protect yourself and your loved ones.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Gina, here the Title company determines whether the title to the property is free of liens, is legally owned by a given individual, and can offer title insurance to protect a land owner from title infringments or help transfer ownership.
Yet a surveyor is needed to actually mark out the boundary lines on a property. They can go from markers found on range/section corners and measure to the place in the legal description, or use GPS equipment to find the lines. Most around here still go the low-tech way and still it's a very involved process. There's a lot of training involved to become a surveyor. They are in high demand and charge a LOT for their services.

I am sorry I didn't make myself clear the title company sets up the appt. and sends out the surveyor to go out and measure the property The title company sees that there are no liens , judgements on property etc. The same as where you live.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote