4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Beauty & Fashion

Old 12-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Superior Preference by L'Oreal?

Okay, I usually go to a salon for hair color, but have been very disappointed in the results the last couple of times. You spend all that money for a two color foil and it doesn't turn out like you want. So, I'm sitting here with my hair piled up with Superior Preference by L'Oreal. Decided to try doing it myself. I used a color I think will work, 6-1/2G, lightest golden brown, so hopefully won't look too bad if it's not quite right. It sure smells strong. Hope it doesn't hurt my hair.

What do you all use that you like? Or is everyone else at the salon this afternoon???
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I always go to the salon, every 4 weeks. I would be totally gray if I didn't so I go to have the roots colored and a hair cut. I think it's expensive ($45) but it's all I really ever spend on myself.

Maybe you should just try a different salon, or have you done that already? Some stylists are so much better than others, even if you've gone to them forever.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I think I've used every dye ever made lol. I don't know that I really have a favorite, but Garnier Nutrisse and Herbal Essences both smell better than usual brands (not GOOD, but better!). I ALWAYS dye my own hair. I have gotten highlights twice at salons and paid a whole lot of money for not a good result.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Marilyn

I have tried different salons, but it is really hard to find someone who is good at color. And to get a cut and two color foil, it's usually over $100. My hair is a reddish blonde, and they either get it too blonde which makes me look older, or they get it too dark which does not look natural. If they get it too dark, then I have to go back another day for more highlights. It's frustrating.

My L'Oreal experiment actually turned out pretty good. It is a little dark, and since it is just one color, there's not any variation in tones. I thought when I saw it dry that I would just buy a highlighting kit tomorrow afternoon. I have a really good cap for highlighting and I know I can do a good job at that since I have done it before myself to tone down a bad color job. However, my husband likes it just the way it is, and it will fade out a little in a few days, so I guess I'm good as is. It sure was easy, and the conditioner that came with the color kit made my hair very soft and nice.

Lindsey, thank you for the tips on other brands. I may just have to check them out since this turned out okay.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 12-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I used to do color my hair with something that eventually washed out. I mostly did it because I had a friend that made comments about my gray but the last several years I've just let it go. I know that I can go back and color it but for now it's just natural and my gray doesn't bother me at all.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
Janet

You're lucky Diana that you're not totally gray like me. My whole family grays early. My hairdresser said there isn't a dark root on my head. I'm not ready to be totally gray yet..lol My mom is 84 and if you noticed in my Christmas pictures, she still colors her hair too...ha ha ha
Old 12-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I have quite a bit of gray around my temples and then the rest just has gray through it. I just pretend that it's highlights!!!! Actually it's more of a blondy-gray instead of just gray.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:00 AM   #8
Janet

I don't know what color mine is, but it's an ugly gray, kind of dull too. I thought awhile back about just going ahead and letting the gray grow out because you can't really color it gray, but I think I'll wait awhile yet. I do get tired of spending the money for color, but I've never been able to get all the gray colored doing it myself.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
I haven't colored my hair since I quit work in March. I wish it were all one color and was a pretty silver like my dads was. Right now I'd guess it's half my normal youthful color and half silvery gray. I have a box of Clairol sitting ehre ready to use and am very hesitant to even do it again. I know if I do it will only take months again to let it grow out when I do finally let nature do it's thing.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Marilyn when I did dye my own hair I use the L'oreal hair dye also. It is pretty good. I have lots of gray hair mostly in the front by the hairline and crown. I hate it.. I use to dye my hair dark auburn but after awhile the gray made it look brassy and horrible as it grew out. I now found a great colorist who works from her home, she dyes it a darker brown and then does foils. I love it.

Janet I started going gray in my early 20's like my mom and her family. My mom always dyed her hair up to the time of her passing.. She was in early 80's. We are vain women lol
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #11
Marilyn

The L'Oreal actually worked very well. I didn't highlight it like I thought I might and the color lightened slightly, just enough to be what I wanted. It still looks nice, no roots showing yet.

I think I'll stick to doing it myself for a while. Might try adding a few highlights for the summer, though.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I love L'Oreal - I have mine done and highlighted, lowlighted, sidelighted etc., but I pick up the L'Oreal base color because it's just good stuff.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote