4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
My Dr. Visit

Tuesday I went to see my Dr. I've been very down about my weight, I weigh more now than I ever have. I've been having trouble with my knees too, but figured it was weight, even though my two uncles, (now deceased) on Mom's side and my older brother have knee pain.

The back pain is back too, the last time I had back pain, it was when I let the dogs out of their crates one morning back in April I thnk it was.

Anyway....I went to my Dr. and cried the whole visit. They wanted to check my thyroid first so drew the blood for that. Talked with him today and he said it couldn't be better, so that is not the problem. I'm suppose to try and exercise more and try more protein, lower carb foods to try and get my energy level up.

He did prescribe something for the pain and also a mild anti-depressant. I started taking them on Wednesday, but so far I don't feel it working. My back (really it's like in my right butt cheek, sorry so descriptive), but it hurts so bad. He did mention siatic (sp) nerve, but I guess is hoping the pain meds will help.

I have been trying to walk on the treadmill, but can only go a VERY short time, before I am so out of breath it's scary, because I end up not being able to take a deep breath. I walk better when not on a treadmill, but it's too cold to be outside. I can't afford the monthly payments to a gym or YMCA, at least not right now anyway. I just feel so bummed and really angry at myself for letting myself get sooooo out of shape in the first place. Now...at my age it's going to be harder than ever to try and fix it.

I know this is getting way too long and I'm sorry. I just needed to get some of this out of my system. I wanted an easy fix and my Dr. of course couldn't give me one. It's all up to me and the way I'm feeling right now....I just don't know if I can do it.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

((((((((((((Janet)))))))))))), please try not to feel so down on yourself. We can all improve if we work at it, and the improvement doesn't have to be quick. It can come slowly, and that's okay. It's hard to put the feeling that I'm trying to express to you in words on screen. We're all different and our bodies respond differently to things, but if you begin to exercise slowly and improve your diet, ususally withnin 3 days you can begin to feel the differences in your body. Why don't you set that as your first goal, to feel a little better in 3 days. Then slowly build on that.

You are a very special and kind person. You can do this not only for yourself, but for your son and future grandchildren. Set your goal on being healthy for yourself and for them.

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
2tiredmom

Now Janet, Don't make me come down there!.......I know you gf. You can do it.
You have the determination. I'm sorry the doctor wasn't much help. I wish I could be some help. But I'm way up here in Snow Land. I know you can do it.
You quit smoking if you can do that you can do this..........................:hu g:
Old 01-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Janet, you always amaze me at the goals that you set and achieve!! When you quit smoking I really admired how you got it done. You have such determination in you and I know that this is another goal that you can reach. Don't try to look at the whole picture but set small goals for yourself. You can lose 5 pounds. You can walk a half-mile on the treadmill. You know that I'm here for you, GF, cheering you on!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

{{{{ JANET }}}}} I know that you can do it!! Baby steps, remember that.. Rome was not built in one day.. You will accomplish all that you set out to.. It is mind over matter... You quit smoking that was very hard to do.. I know cause I have been there and done that... Set your mind and you will do it!!!

Janet what did he say about the knee pain? I am going for an ex ray on Monday, I went to bend a week ago on my right knee and it was painful still is when I bend. I fell in front of a store two years ago , at the time it didnt hurt. I was a smuck the police dept. was right across the street. Oh well!!

Feel Better!
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
Janet

You all are so great!! I am going to try to quit looking at the bigger picture....it's just so overwhelmng. I have been watching what I've ate the today and yesterday...writing it down so I can see it in black and white. I've heard it helps.

Today I'm in so much pain. I really am thinking it's that siatic (sp) nerve. Here it is Saturday, been taking the pain meds for 3 days...not helping. I took one of my husband's Loritabs. It just made me sleep, which was nice, but the pain is still strong now that I'm awake. I can't wait until Monday to get in touch with my Dr. again. I just can't believe how much pain it is.

I really appreciate all the support and advice. You all are saying pretty much the same thing, plus more, so I'm going to do the best I can to do as you all suggest.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oooh, Janet! I'm coming out there! Don't you cry anymore.

That pain sounds a lot like sciatica. That's a bad pain. You can't sit, stand or lay down. I had it once and it went away and has never come back. It was from lifting my youngest granddaughter too much I think. Have you been lifting or doing anything different that you could stop doing?

One day at a time with the weight. like Gina said, baby steps.

I love you.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:17 AM   #8
Janet

Judy, that is exactly how it feels....I can sit for a minute...then it starts hurting really bad, so I'll find a lying position..doesn't last long either. There is just no position that I can stay in for very long.

This happened before back in the summer when I bent over to let the doggies out of their crates. I did the heat/cold thing and muscle relaxers and it quit. Don't know what I've done to bring it on this time. I've got to find a way to make it quit though, I'll be calling the Dr. as soon as I get back from the route this morning.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #9
2tiredmom

Janet,
Let us Know what the Dr says. We're all pulling for you.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
Ponyup

Janet, i'm so sorry you're not feeling well. What are your thoughts on chiropractors? I was having the same exact trouble you are describing. I had gotten thrown through a fence by a horse & my pelvis was twisted & putting pressure on that nerve. My chiropractor fixed it completely in 6 weeks. It might be something to look into.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I've also been very happy with my chiropractor. She kept my neck and back from hurting with no meds.

Keep us posted, Janet.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
Janet

Thanks....I may look into the Chiropractor. I'm still waiting on the Dr. to call me back. He usually returns calls after the office closes at 5. I do not like waiting all day in pain!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
HALEY

Janet we love you hon, i know you can do, like everyone said baby steps.
and i feel your pain, its no fun at all to be in alot of pain... (like root canals)
i would go see a chiropractor for your back i been going to one for about 10 years now and he's helped me so much.
were all here if you need us....
Better days are ahead for you girl...
Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Janet

I have to tell you that I called my Dr. just like I said I would on Monday....he finally called me back TODAY!!!! Can you believe that?

I went to bed Monday night still in pain, but when I woke up on Tuesday morning....it was gone. I just don't know what happened. It stopped, just like that. I hope it never happens again...it was so horrible. I find myself being extra cautious every time I bend or stoop over...so afraid it will happen again.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #15
highlans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I have to tell you that I called my Dr. just like I said I would on Monday....he finally called me back TODAY!!!! Can you believe that?

I went to bed Monday night still in pain, but when I woke up on Tuesday morning....it was gone. I just don't know what happened. It stopped, just like that. I hope it never happens again...it was so horrible. I find myself being extra cautious every time I bend or stoop over...so afraid it will happen again.
Glad you are feeling better. Anti-depressant's can take up to a month to start working and when you feel well enough to come of them you need to wean over a couple of month's but I am sure your dr has told you that.
I had back pain for years and then last feb went to my dr feeling realy low, she sent me to a physio and he gave me excesices on how to use my back, as because I was afraid to put my back out my range of movement was low. Once I was able to do that was sent to a physio pilates class which I now do every week.

So you need to learn how to use your back one thing I recomend is when you are putting your top body weight forward you need to put your core muscles into gear prior ie pull in your tummy and pelvic floor muscles this in turn pulls in some of your back muscles and help support your back. I cannot praise pilates enough I can still get back pain but no were near as bad as it used to be.