4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 07-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Just sent a resume...

Well I was looking at that Buffalo job for awhile, but the more I thought about it, I decided what is the point of moving to another country if it's right across the lake from my country? I might as well just find a job in Ontario and not have to deal with visas and border crossings. Anyways, I was just browsing through jobs and this one jumped out at me from Vancouver. They are looking for a Civil Technologist to work in drafting and design for municipal projects. Salary: 55,000-75,000
They want 5 years experience and I only have 2 and a half but I thought what the heck! It can't hurt to try, right? I just sent a resume and cover letter, and got an automatic reply from the recruiter saying he's out of the office until July 14th. I have knots in my stomach though! I know I probably won't even be contacted since the ad was posted 2 weeks ago, but I'm still kind of excited. I'm sure the excitement will eventually die down. I haven't applied for a job in so long. My company just offered me a job straight out of college and I took it!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Lindsey, sounds like a good plan & good to hear that you took the initiative to go for it!!! Let us know what happens.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Good luck hon, I hope this works out to be a start of something better for you!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Good luck Lindsey! Change is good.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Hey Lindsey...good luck. I hope they get back to you real soon...I always hated sending out resumes and then waiting.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I have a feeling now that I won't hear back, but at least I have that first one out of the way so I feel more ready to send out more resumes now, if that makes any sense! I love BC and I've never been to Vancouver but I've always wanted to go. I've heard it's such a cool city It's on the coast and doesn't get a whole lot of snow, plus it apparently has the 3rd highest standard of living in the world!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 07-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Taurus Babe

OMg good luck! How cool would it be if you moved here? We could be real life human friends!!! I hope you get it!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

LOL I know! My parents are in town and we just went for supper. I was talking about how I'm having trouble finding someone to watch Layla for a weekend while I go bridesmaid dress shopping with my best friend in Alberta. Then I was like "But if I went to Vancouver, I know a bunch of people from Yorkietalk there and I'm sure they would watch her if I had to go somewhere!"

Old 07-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I wouldn't give up yet. According to the e-mail you recieved he's not expected back in the office until today. Maybe you'll hear something next week. Don't give up so easily!!!! Good luck!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Taurus Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
LOL I know! My parents are in town and we just went for supper. I was talking about how I'm having trouble finding someone to watch Layla for a weekend while I go bridesmaid dress shopping with my best friend in Alberta. Then I was like "But if I went to Vancouver, I know a bunch of people from Yorkietalk there and I'm sure they would watch her if I had to go somewhere!"
Heck yeah!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

You're on a roll Lindsey! Isn't it exciting? The perfect job will come along and that's the one you'll get. Maybe it is this one.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh my gosh I just got home and there's a message on my phone from the guy in Vancouver and he likes my resume and he wants to talk to me oh my gosh I'm SHAKING! So excited, I'm trying to get ahold of my parents!!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #13
Marilyn

Yaaaaa!!!!!! Fantastic, Lindsey!!!!! I'd post some celebration smilies, but don't want to jinks anything. Fingers will be crossed even tighter now!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Well, my mom didn't seem too excited, and my brother seemed completely indifferent, so I don't know. I was just looking up rentals in Vancouver and I could barely find anything that allowed pets, and those that did were $1500-$2000 a month for a one bedroom apartment! And I have no idea what utility bills and stuff would be like there. Now I don't know whether to be happy or to cry!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
Taurus Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
Oh my gosh I just got home and there's a message on my phone from the guy in Vancouver and he likes my resume and he wants to talk to me oh my gosh I'm SHAKING! So excited, I'm trying to get ahold of my parents!!
OMG OMG OMG!!! I'm so excited for you. Remember, you are the bomb, and anyone would be lucky to have you. Keep this in mind and it'll help give you the confidence, and hopefully reduce the shakes! Good luck! Let us know.