4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Weight Loss Support

Old 01-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
What to do and how?

I talked with a friend today and told her how I want to exercise and all. Well I checked some website because I didn't have the faintest idea where to start.

I know the cardio is important and that is like walking, treadmill, jump rope..etc. anything else?

Then I think there is suppose to be strength training and flexibility?? Is this right? What are some examples?

All the sites I went to are a little hard for me to understand. I need a personal trainer to tell me what to do and how to do it and when..how many times a week and how long each session. Not wanting much am I? If you read my previous post here in Weight Loss Support...you can tell I'm really upset about this and feel a kind of urgency to get going. I don't want my health to deteriorate any more than what's been done with this extra weight.

To sum it up...does anyone know of a site (that's easy to understand) that can outline an exercise routine for me? I am also going to check into the 'Y' here in town and hopefully it won't cost too much...especially if I join Weight Watchers tomorrow night.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Janet - do you have a "Curves" by you? I have only heard positive words about this facility. Very low impact, friendly ladies, easy, and a short duration of work out time to not get all overwhelmed, etc.

If I didn't live so far from town Id join in a heartbeat. My Mom joined a few years ago and good golly she goes daily. She makes me look bad.

I don't have any websites to head you to because I don't exercise myself right now.

The dicipline to work out at home takes a lot of dedication and dicipline. But if this is something you really wanna do I know you can do it. I'm cheering for you !!!!! Id cheer louder but I'm totally outta shape!
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Janet

I forgot all about curves. I use to go there a few years back and then it closed for awhile and now is back. I'll have to check the costs between the 'Y' and Curves and see if it's something I can do.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Janet, one thing you might want to try if you have a pool nearby is an aquafitness class. I've always wanted to do it but I'm too chicken to go alone! My boyfriend is big into fitness and he's told me that working out in water is one of the best things you can do. Here is a website that explains it better than I can! http://www.calainc.org/Aquafitness/aquafitness.htm

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #5
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I would really enjoy aquatic exercises. But I too wouldn't want to do this alone. Which by the way brings me back to that tropical island. It has water, I could exercise in that.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I know that my daughter goes to this site for help when she's dieting. You might find some useful stuff on there.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Janet

Thanks Lindsey, that was really interesting. I love being in the water. Maybe the 'Y' will offer something like this. I'll have to check. Most of the time you have to join our 'Y' and it's like $250.00 a year for one person. Sucks...if ya ask me. Hopefully they'll have something they offer at a lower price instead of a yearly membership. $250 may not be much really, but I know I would never go in the summer time. I would rather walk down the road or something before going to the 'Y'. I need something more for the winter.

I'm beyond worrying about going alone...I'm not going for anyone else but me...and my son. I want to be around to see him marry and have kids. At the rate I'm going..I won't be. So if I have to go alone and be the fattest one there..I will.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaB
I know that my daughter goes to this site for help when she's dieting. You might find some useful stuff on there.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/

Thanks Diana....I have seen that site before but forgot all about it. I've added it my favorites so now that won't happen.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

No problem, Janet. I know the Y here offers a few aquafitness classes. I've been toying with the idea of joining, because I want to get back into yoga too, and there's a few other classes I'd maybe be interested in trying. If you end up trying it out, let me know what it's like!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
Janet

Do you happen to know if the 'Y''s offer just classes or do you have to have a membership? I wouldn't mind spending the money for the classes of my choosing, but not sure I would fully use a membership.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #11
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Do you happen to know if the 'Y''s offer just classes or do you have to have a membership? I wouldn't mind spending the money for the classes of my choosing, but not sure I would fully use a membership.
The Y here has a website, I'm not sure if each one might have a city specific website... but it has information on memberships and programs and everything, so you might want to try googling it!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #12
Janet

Thanks, I will. duh, don't know why I didn't think of that.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Tiramisu

I joined Curves about 2 months ago and really enjoy it. I haven't gone in 2 weeks and must go today. I walk there from my office, so I actually get in about half a mile in addition to my exercise.

I'm 5'10" tall and weigh 218#s. I'll be 57 next month and plan to retire in 3 years. I want to weigh 160#s. Three years ago I weighed 168#s, stopped smoking, and started packing on the pounds. Add menapause and here I am! I want to have a breast reduction this year. DD to small C will drop several #s.

My problem is the food part of dieting. I've never seriously dieted. TODAY starts the dieting part.

I pay $42/m @ Curves!
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #14
Janet

I went to Curves and really enjoyed it. I think I'm just looking for something a little different...I don't know.

I did check out the web for the YMCA here in town. My gosh, they talk about all the Christian principals they try to uphold and then for an adult...charge a total of $389.88 for a membership. Guess they want to keep the rif raf out. They do have classes, but it doesn't say how much each class is. I will have to contact them and find out. I definitely can't afford the membership.

When I belong to Curves, I can't remember exactly how much it was, but they took it out of your account. Why can't these places let you pay just by the month and that's it? Would be so much better for some.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

How about talking to the phys ed teacher at your school?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote