4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Relationships

Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Something's Up With Hubby

During supper last night and most other times with he eats, Rick belches through the whole meal. It's very disturbing for others to listen to while eating and it's worse for Rick. At least once every couple of weeks, he has to get up during the meal and vomit. Then he comes back and finishes eating. (not sure I could do that)

I told him last night (because the latest episode was last night) that he really needed to see a Dr. to find out why this happens. He also informed me he has had diarrhea for the last three weeks.

What in the world is wrong with him???? This is what upsets me all the time. He would rather complain instead of going to the Dr. so he could feel better. I know his health isn't the greatest, but he doesn't share much about that. It's been 5 years since he quit smoking and sometimes of a morning he still coughs like he's a smoker.

I told him I wasn't going to tell him to go to the Dr. again, that if he wanted to be miserable fine, but don't make me miserable at the same time. Sounds cold, but if he's not willing to do something about it, then he needs to quit acting like a poor sick victim.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Sounds serious, you think if you set an appointment for him he will then go?

That is not good.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Janet

No way...he'd just get mad and drink more.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

His GI tract is irritated for some reason. When you described the belching and periodic vomiting, that sounds like the sphincter at the top of the stomach where it attaches to the esophagus is loose (sometimes happens when we get older) which causes him to belch and vomit. But the diarrhea should not be related to that. Sometimes the colon goes whacko when something else is wrong in the body. It's a stress reaction, I think. When Gary first got sick with a lung fungus and heart failure, he had diarrhea for 6 months and lost 50 lbs (not all related to the diarrhea though). They ran every test known to man at least twice and never found out what was wrong. We finally got it stopped with massive amounts of yogurt with live cultures. Trying yogurt with live cultures or those yogurt drinks with live cultures couldn't hurt in Ricks case. I think walmart has some of those little bottles of yogurt drinks (its not yacult, the cheaper one has a different name but its in those same little tiny bottles) at a reasonable price. Id have him drink two of those bottles a day. Also belching and vomitimng sounds like it might be an ulcer which can sometimes cause diarrhea too.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Janet

Thanks for the info Gayle, I will definitely tell what you've mentioned so maybe he'll go to the Dr. I really think part of the reason he doesn't go is fear. This doesn't sound so horrible, so maybe he'll go.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Fear is very powerful and if I don't go to the doctor I won't find out something is really wrong, and it may work. He may not go and this will all resolve on its own. But it may not and it may turn into something worse, and if he'd only gone to the dr. in a timely manner it would have been better. I understand and I see I a lot.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Men can be so stubborn......I know that my husband is. And making them go to the doctor only makes them dig their heels in further! I hope by telling Ricky what Gayle has to say will help him go and find out what's wrong. Sorry.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
DIANE W

My husband Dave, is different, he always asks me what the problem could be, and then i have to say - I dont know, go to the Dr. He will then go, if i think he needs to. He needs lots of assurance that all is well... he is a bit of a baby - good job he never reads this
I am very matter of fact, if i have a problem, i go and get it looked at, without major issue.

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
Janet

Rick has decided that he is stopping at Wal Mart after work and see if he can find the Yogurt drinks Gayle mentioned. Heaven help him to take the time to go to the Dr. Hopefully for his sake it wil work and that will be the end of it, if not...I can't tell him what to do, nor do I want to.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Janet

He found the yogurt drinks and complains like a child because he can't stand the taste. I get so tired of hearing him. I told him if he didn't stop it I was throwing the rest in the trash...grrrrr!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh dear, the ones I get taste good (to me). They taste like orange cream. Oh and ALL OF US taking the GERD medicine should be drinking them, because the GERD meds kill many of the good intestinal bacteria, and so we should be drinking these yogurt drinks with live cultures to replace the bacteria we need for digestion and absorption of things like calcium.

Last edited by gja1000; 04-02-2012 at 07:21 PM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I buy the Mexican ones that taste like strawberries. I buy them at Walmart too.

I also buy a drink from Kroger that taste like a smoothie. It's in the Soy and Rice milk section. I don't remember what is called and I'm out of it so can't check my refrigerator. But it's good for intestines. Just make sure he drinks it 14 days from opening the carton. You can just tell him you made him the smoothie and he will never know it's a probiotic drink
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Janet

I figure he's old enough to know how to get what tastes good and throw out the ones that don't. He's such a pain. I have enough running to do without trying to figure out if he'll like one or another. Sorry I sound so horrible, but he irritates me to death. That's why I am so for Diana's daughter letting Damon go or she'll end up living a life like mine. I should have left a long time ago.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, there's nothing better than the voice of experience. I knew how the problems with Damon would turn out and so did you. I hope Dae Lynn doesn't cave in. She's in for a lifetime of heartache if she does.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #15
Janet

You're right Gayle and I would hate that for Dae Lynn. I had the pleasure of meeting her and she is one of those people you immediately like. I honestly can't wait to see her again AND her Mom.

Last edited by Janet; 04-10-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote