4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Grrrr >:(

Scott and I have been looking for a patio set, but we really can't afford one with all the money we're spending on Layla. We kind of decided we'd wait until the end of the season when stores are clearing them out and buy a cheap set that we can use next year. I've also been kind of browsing an online classified site. Well last night, I came across a beautiful set being sold for $150! It was posted only 15 minutes prior so I jumped on it and said we were very interested. This morning I got a reply that basically said "We didn't realize how low we priced it, but we got 28 emails in the first half hour! So we are replying to everyone to say we would like to ask $200 for the set. We are a young couple with a new baby and the extra $50 would really make a difference."

I emailed back and said we would still be interested at $200 (I figure it's probably worth 400ish new), and I work late today but will take time off to see it, since other people were still interested. I asked her to get back to me with a time that works for them.

Well it's a couple of hours later and I didn't get a reply, but now I see that an hour ago they RE-LISTED it on the site for $300! Come on, if they were that desperate for money why would they price it so low to start with? Now they're just greedy and trying to get as much as possible. Well, I'm not biting on this one I think it's kind of rude to keep pushing the price up for something they clearly advertised at a set price to begin with, and now it's DOUBLE that price! Not to mention I checked the "map" button to see where they're located and it's a brand new development of very expensive houses. They can't be too hard up for money if they were able to just get a mortgage and buy in that area What a waste of my time!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
paula1961

Some people!!! I don't blame you for not giving in and paying the extra money for it. Keep looking..you'll find another one. They should've looked on ebay or something to see what they were going for used. That's what I always do anyway.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's really rude of them....whether they need the money or not. They set a price and they should have stuck with it. I don't blame you for giving up.....I would have too.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

It's too bad because the set is EXACTLY what I want! Oh well!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
DianaB

Keep your eyes open......something will come up.

Our pastor's wife got a really nice set. She found a table at K-mart that was nicely priced and then got chairs from Lowe's for like......$50 each!!! Just keep looking!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I just did a quick search and found the same patio set at Walmart for $498. That should be going on sale in the next month or so! I'll keep an eye out for other good deals too!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

That couple are going to have bad karma!!!

I gave up searching for an affordable patio set this summer. I can buy one at the end of the season, like you are going to, but I realized that my $30 green hard plastic table, and 4 hard plastic white chairs ($7 each), sat out there all winter, through all of the snow, wind and rain, and they are just fine! They needed a wash down, and one chair needed to bee replaced. I cracked the leg. So...what I will look for is a really beautiful patio umbrella on sale.

I also put lots of plants out there, and lounge chairs.

Another plus for the plastic kinds is that they don't need to be packed away and stored in the winter.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Judy, we had a plastic set at my old house before I moved to the condo, and I forget whether it was fall or spring, but still cold enough that it was freezing overnight, and the table tipped over in the wind and the whole top cracked! My parents have lots of the chairs at the cabin though and they do hold up pretty well!

I was browsing on the same classified site this morning and came across a glass-top table with 6 chairs for $75. Can't beat that! They're taupe in color and the chairs are kind of weaved cloth. I wish I could copy the picture for here but they already took the ad down after we replied! We're going to look at it tonight and they'll hold it for us until we can get a truck to pcik it all up! The table has a hole for an umbrella but no umbrella comes with it. That's okay though. there's a nice big tree that shades the part of the deck where we'd put it anyway!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Nevermind, I found it! Here is it shown with 4 of the chairs...

It's pretty plain but it's a place to eat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 727421d_20.jpg (57.8 KB, 7 views)

Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Nevermind again! They just called Scott back and said it was sold to someone else. I guess it just wasn't meant to be! It's tough when Scott and I both have jobs and can't get away for things like this!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
DianaB

That was rude again!!!! What they can't wait a few hours for someone to pay them for the set?.......GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I know Diana! I used the same site to sell a lot of things when we renovated the condo, from mirrors and lights to the fridge, stove, and dishwasher! The first person who responded would get the first chance, and for everyone else I would tell them "Someone is coming to look tonight, and I will get back to you if they don't take it"

Old 07-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I don't know if you have the same supermarkets or drug store chains, but I have seen tables like that at both, with the chairs, and the prices are really good.

It is a very nice looking set!

Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Well yesterday I came across an ad for the SAME SET as the first one, except the cushions were blue instead of green and not as thick, and the umbrella was brown. He wanted $125. It had been listed for 2 days and not bought yet! So we picked it up after work yesterday and managed to fit 6 chairs, cushions, and the umbrella in Scott's car! The table doesn't come apart so we need to find a truck for that. But I am very happy! I rearranged the deck last night to fit the table at one end and our little conversation set (love seat, two chairs, and a coffee table) beside it. I'd like to get new cushions for the new chairs. The umbrella matches EXACTLY the brown on the chairs we already have.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Great! That is a really good price! Post up a picture of the whole area, how about it?