4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Beauty & Fashion

Old 09-18-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
Necee419

Angry Uggghhh Adult Acne

I don't get it. I never had acne as a kid. Now that I am 30, I am constantly getting these pesky little zits all over my chin and jawline. It is so unsightly. I went to the dermatologist and he gave me this sulfite lotion that smells like rotten eggs and it does nothing. I have used Proactive and over the counter stuff like Oxy, Nutrogena, etc and because I have naturally dry skin they all dry my face out badly. Anyone have any recommendations on something that will help clear my skin but not make it flakey and dry? Thanks guys.
Necee419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I wish i could give you some advise on that. I don't normally get much acne now, but when I do I place toothpaste (not gel) on it over night. By morning the blemish is gone.

I have no idea how or why the toothpaste works but it's always done the trick for me.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Have you tried Differin from the dermatologist?? It works WONDERS and it does not make your skin dry and flaky. I would go back to your dermo and ask him about it. I use Retin-A for my adult acne. It is the same stuff as Differin but it is stronger than Differin. If you want something REALLY good, go with Retin-A, because not only does it get rid of and prevent zits, but is also corrects and prevents wrinkles. Many women who don't even have acne use it for the anti-aging affect. The only thing about it is that you have to work up a tolerance to it. Start out using it one night a week. Then after a week, go up to 2 nights a week, then 3 nights a week, and so on. I have been using it for months now and I use it usually 2 or 3 nights on, 1 night off. It makes your skin peel, but if you are peeling in the morning, get a wet rag and rub it around your face to get all the dead skin off. Then your makeup will glide right on. The peeling effect is what corrects & prevents wrinkles. I love this stuff! I am only 22 and I will use this stuff forever and ever. My hubby rubbed my face last night and said it felt like a baby's butt!
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
Necee419

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC12345678
Have you tried Differin from the dermatologist?? It works WONDERS and it does not make your skin dry and flaky. I would go back to your dermo and ask him about it. I use Retin-A for my adult acne. It is the same stuff as Differin but it is stronger than Differin. If you want something REALLY good, go with Retin-A, because not only does it get rid of and prevent zits, but is also corrects and prevents wrinkles. Many women who don't even have acne use it for the anti-aging affect. The only thing about it is that you have to work up a tolerance to it. Start out using it one night a week. Then after a week, go up to 2 nights a week, then 3 nights a week, and so on. I have been using it for months now and I use it usually 2 or 3 nights on, 1 night off. It makes your skin peel, but if you are peeling in the morning, get a wet rag and rub it around your face to get all the dead skin off. Then your makeup will glide right on. The peeling effect is what corrects & prevents wrinkles. I love this stuff! I am only 22 and I will use this stuff forever and ever. My hubby rubbed my face last night and said it felt like a baby's butt!
Thanks Rebecca!! Can I buy the Retin-A stuff they sell at the drugstore or do I have to ask the derm for it?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necee419
Thanks Rebecca!! Can I buy the Retin-A stuff they sell at the drugstore or do I have to ask the derm for it?
You have to get both Retin-A and Differin from the dermo. They only come in prescriptions.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
Necee419

Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Thanks
Anytime! Good luck with it. I know how badly it sux.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
Amber_lv

I was gonna suggest the proactive but you already tried it . Maybe see a dermatologist to see what your skin needs
Amber_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #9
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivermom
I wish i could give you some advise on that. I don't normally get much acne now, but when I do I place toothpaste (not gel) on it over night. By morning the blemish is gone.

I have no idea how or why the toothpaste works but it's always done the trick for me.
Never heard this, but sure am gonna try it next time i see one, thanks for the tip
Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #10
cindy0721

Send a message via Yahoo to cindy0721
I have problems with acne on my back,.,.... thats the worst.... any advice?
Old 09-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
Nikki

I'm an esthetician soooo, I would say if it isn't severe what you need is an esthetician! Seriously, it could be as simple as changing your skincare products. A good esthtician can really put you on the right track and make a HUGE difference. Retin-A is great as mentioned but it is perscription and you might not need something that strong.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
Nikki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy0721
I have problems with acne on my back,.,.... thats the worst.... any advice?
Back facials (at least one for extractions) and salicylic acid body wash- you can buy it anywhere. Spot treat with 10% Benzoyl peroxide (like Clean and Clear Persa-Gel).
Old 09-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Taurus Babe

Quote:
I don't get it. I never had acne as a kid. Now that I am 30, I am constantly getting these pesky little zits all over my chin and jawline. It is so unsightly. I went to the dermatologist and he gave me this sulfite lotion that smells like rotten eggs and it does nothing. I have used Proactive and over the counter stuff like Oxy, Nutrogena, etc and because I have naturally dry skin they all dry my face out badly. Anyone have any recommendations on something that will help clear my skin but not make it flakey and dry? Thanks guys.
I just went to the dermatologist today about acne. I've never had such bad skin and he said it was stress related. He gave me two Rx's one was topical. I can't say I know if they work yet though. He did say Neutragena was a great brand tho. Sorry you're having to deal with icky skin. I totally know the feeling girl!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #14
May5

When I was younger my mom put me on Differin and it did WONDERS. I tried Retin-A and it was great as well, but waaay too strong for me. It made my face peel and it burned slightly. My friend used and she loved it, though. It just depends. Maybe you should try Differing first and see if it works on you; it's a lot milder but very effective.