4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Beauty & Fashion

Old 09-29-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
Khristine

What to wear?!

Ok, So I have an interview on monday as a school nurse at a private elementary school..

I haven't worked in ages, since i was pregnant and all.. and well.. i have no idea what the heck to wear?!

what do you wear to an interview? cause both of the previous jobs i had, i wore scrubs cause i got hired on the spot cause they were my mom's friends lol..

i definately need to buy something cause i don't have anything nice to wear..

any tips, ideas or whatever?! please share!
Old 09-29-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I think that if you just wear something simple, yet flattering will be fine. Our school nurse (she's about 60, but young looking) wears nice slacks or pant suits to school. Something comfy. She never knows if she'll be on the floor helping someone or on a stool. I was always told to dress "yourself". Don't over do it because if they hire you thinking you dress one way, and then you come in looking a different way...they may wander if you put on a front. JMO
Old 09-30-2006, 08:47 AM   #3
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I am believe that wearing a nice suit or something simple but smart just for the interview being you will work with the children I am sure the dress code is simple. But first impressions always stay in mind. If you were going on a business interview I would tell you to wear something red, for they say red is very assertive and sure of yourself. Stick with the nice pants suit or skirt you can't go wrong...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Khristine

ok i dont have a suit and dont know anyone with a suit.. but if i should show them how i normally dress, i was thinking of wearing this shirt with a black tube top inside with my hair tied up in a nice pony tail.. easy on the makeup and with slacks and nice dressy flats

http://www.wetseal.com/Product/37259808621_lg.jpg

what do ya think? too dressy?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
I did a lot of research on this topic over the past year in my job searches.

Most suggest that you dress just a notch above what the position you'd be interviewing for requires; so that you impress upon the interviewer that you do take it seriously and have respect for the institution.

Conservative solid color pants and a nice sweater sound like a good choice. Go light on the makeup and perfume if you MUST wear any...and stick to just a wedding band or a simple chain necklace if you feel naked without jewelry. Wear your hair in a comfortable flattering style that keeps it off your face, and wear shoes that cover your toes.

If you wear a skirt, it should not be above your knees or full and "party-like".
Nail polish should be pale and nails should be well manicured and short enough not to be seen as a hazzard in the job you're applying for. A purse should be conservative in style and not so large that it looks like luggage or small that it looks like an evening bag. If you need to bring papers with you, put them in a nice folder or briefcase so you keep them neat and look professional in the process.

Most importantly, wear a friendly, confident smile and make the first move to shake hands while looking the interviewer in the eyes. Once seated, try to mind your body language so you look alert but not frantic, and keep both feet on the floor. Keep your hands open which signals that YOU are being open, and try to give each question careful consideration before answering.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
OOPS you posted while I was rambling, so I missed your picture. Sorry!

That shirt is cute, but I'd be a bit more conservative for an interview. Most want something less form fitting, solid colored and more "classic" than "current" for the interview. You want to impress them with your abilities and intelligence rather than have them focussed on your attire.

I have no clue how old you are or what you look like, but you want to try to look like you'd fit in with the faculty rather than the students even if you are young and gorgeous.

Good luck! That sounds like a great job! I really hope you get it!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristine
ok i dont have a suit and dont know anyone with a suit.. but if i should show them how i normally dress, i was thinking of wearing this shirt with a black tube top inside with my hair tied up in a nice pony tail.. easy on the makeup and with slacks and nice dressy flats

http://www.wetseal.com/Product/37259808621_lg.jpg

what do ya think? too dressy?
Kristine that is a very pretty top, but for once you get the job. Wear a conservative blouse with slacks, or a sweater and slacks. I think that would be a better choice. Go into interview feeling confident be your self and sell the product so to speak.. Good luck! I am sure you will get it.. Keep us posted... Gina
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I do want to wish you the best of luck!!! If after the interview, it's everything you've wanted in a job......then I pray that YOU are who they want!!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
Khristine

Thanks for the replies everyone

i think im going to go with a blouse and slacks! going to the mall soon

I look really young, but i just turned 21, im sure they are going to be a bit suprised when they see me. Usually everyone when they see me, they think im still in high school LOL.. so when they see im a nurse and i've been a nurse for a almost 2 years they are pretty impressed.. so hopefully they like me and aren't looking for someone a bit more seasoned.