4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Got a diagnosis today..

Ok ladies listen to this last night I had to work late and when I got home about 7:30 I was not going to cook. I had eaten out lunch earlier and took home my soup, brocolli cheddar it was to much for me to eat. Let me tell you things happen for a reason. So I get home and decide to warm it up and eat it.

Well about an half hr. later I was sick, acid indigestion and the brocolli was just repeating on me, ughh so I took a little myltana liquid and it felt better. Around 10:30 I go to bed to read. I still don't feel good so I decide to take more Myltana and decide to go to sleep. I was anticpating the choking feeling. You know what!!! I didnt get the choking feeling..

This morning my drs. office calls me and says the dr. prescribed Nexium , but I already had the visit for 12 this afternoon with ENT. Fast forward I tell the ENT dr. my story and he does the scope test through my nose, ughh well my throat is clear nothing there, no abnormalities.. Thank God!! He prescribed Nexium and feels I have acid reflex and that is what is happening with my throat at night. He said don't worry your throat it is not closing.. Sooo I am relieved. I took the Nexium pill an hr. before dinner tonight. I will try not eat anything at night.

Does anyone take this Nexium pill ? and if so is it working. Any input would be great. Thanks for your well wishes.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I thought it was probably acid reflux - I'm so glad you had that experience last night, and got a diagnosis today. My hubby took Nexium, but not for acid reflux - he had an ulcer. It healed the ulcer and he has not had any more problems (five years ago).

I think Nexium is really good medicine. You won't need to take it forever though, it's the kind of medicine that you can stop after a while. Be sure to follow up with the ENT and find out when you can stop taking it.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

My mom takes Nexium and says it is amazing! She hasn't had any problems since she started it. Hopefully, it will work that well for you too.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Ok ladies listen to this last night I had to work late and when I got home about 7:30 I was not going to cook. I had eaten out lunch earlier and took home my soup, brocolli cheddar it was to much for me to eat. Let me tell you things happen for a reason. So I get home and decide to warm it up and eat it.

Well about an half hr. later I was sick, acid indigestion and the brocolli was just repeating on me, ughh so I took a little myltana liquid and it felt better. Around 10:30 I go to bed to read. I still don't feel good so I decide to take more Myltana and decide to go to sleep. I was anticpating the choking feeling. You know what!!! I didnt get the choking feeling..

This morning my drs. office calls me and says the dr. prescribed Nexium , but I already had the visit for 12 this afternoon with ENT. Fast forward I tell the ENT dr. my story and he does the scope test through my nose, ughh well my throat is clear nothing there, no abnormalities.. Thank God!! He prescribed Nexium and feels I have acid reflex and that is what is happening with my throat at night. He said don't worry your throat it is not closing.. Sooo I am relieved. I took the Nexium pill an hr. before dinner tonight. I will try not eat anything at night.

Does anyone take this Nexium pill ? and if so is it working. Any input would be great. Thanks for your well wishes.

I'm so glad they know what it is and can help. I take something that starts with an 'L' , can't remember the name, but it works. It's the 2nd type of medicine I've taken. Not sure if GERD and Acid Reflux is the same thing, but sounds like they are very similiar.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
Gina

I started the Nexium last night, to be honest with you I had the attack last night again, I felt better with the myltana liquid. Gayle and Anglie someone told me it takes awhile before you feel the difference not a one time deal.. Is that true? I have to stop looking things up on the internet, I hear good things and bad things like it doesn't work and gives you headaches. I guess like any other medicine its trail and error..

The dr. wants me to take the pill for a month, so I will give it a shot. Janet Im not sure but I think the two are sort of similar , Gayle would know better... Gerd and acid reflux.. Glad that your pill works for you, how long have you been taking your medication?

Thanks ladies!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #6
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I've been taking it for over a year now. I'll check here in a bit and tell you what it is.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Gina, I'm glad to hear that you've figured out what your problem is. That had to be so scary and I'm sure that you're relieved. Sorry, but I don't know a thing about Nexium.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

GERD is the acronym for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - which is a long term for acid reflux - so yes, they are basically the same thing. Nexium is a good drug, like all drugs, some people can't take it. Gary stayed on it too long - but his was for an ulcer, maybe the dose is different - maybe for gerd, you stay on a lower dose permanently - I'm not sure. Gary had some weird lab work, can't remember what it was and it turned out to be caused by the Nexium. He came off it (cuz his ulcer was healed) and he was fine. Again, I think he was on a pretty high dose.

Yes, it does take a while, it doesn't work instantly like Mylanta. Did they tell you not to take mylanta? If not, then I'd go ahead and take it till the nexium kicks in. Or I'd call and ask if it is OK to take Mylanta till the Nexium starts working.

Also, did they tell you to raise the head of your bed? You should. At least 6 inches, maybe 8 if you can tolerate it. That will really help also!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Ponyup

I was on nexium. I started having tummy problems right out of college. Throwing up for no reason, diarhhea, that stuff. I was diagnosed with irratible bowel syndrome. they put me on nexium and i took it ever day for like 6 months. I remember it taking a bit to work & I still took pepto for immediate relieve. After the first six months I only took it when I got a bought of diarrhea or upset tummy. When I finally stopped taking it I was only taking it like once every 3 months. I stopped taking it completely because I read on MSN, I think, that it can cause heart problems. I was on it for a total of about 6 years.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
GERD is the acronym for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - which is a long term for acid reflux - so yes, they are basically the same thing. Nexium is a good drug, like all drugs, some people can't take it. Gary stayed on it too long - but his was for an ulcer, maybe the dose is different - maybe for gerd, you stay on a lower dose permanently - I'm not sure. Gary had some weird lab work, can't remember what it was and it turned out to be caused by the Nexium. He came off it (cuz his ulcer was healed) and he was fine. Again, I think he was on a pretty high dose.

Yes, it does take a while, it doesn't work instantly like Mylanta. Did they tell you not to take mylanta? If not, then I'd go ahead and take it till the nexium kicks in. Or I'd call and ask if it is OK to take Mylanta till the Nexium starts working.

Also, did they tell you to raise the head of your bed? You should. At least 6 inches, maybe 8 if you can tolerate it. That will really help also!

Gail, I called my pharmacist and he said I can take Mylanta to , so I will take it at night before bedtime. I didnt know when to take this pill so being I started last night around 5 ish, today I had to work today so I took it for 5:45 I will eat an hr. later.. The pharmacist told me earlier its best to take it early in the morning.When did your husband take the pill ? I will start tomorrow morning. I put extra pillow so I can be elevated..

Gee Pony heart problems wow.. I hate taking medicine don't tell me that lol . I am a chicken.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Gina, I will tell my mom to come and find your thread. I don't know if she had any problems in the beginning, but hopefully she will have some advice for you.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gina, my husband took it in the mornings and he didn't have any problems!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:03 AM   #13
Ponyup

Sorry Gina didn't mean to worry you. I didn't really need it anymore so that's why I decided to stop taking it. I always took it first thing in the morning too. It did really help me.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Gina, I am sorry, but am happy they found out what it was.
I had a couple sessions and it was an awful feeling.
Hope you can get medication that works for you.
Take care.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
Gina

Thanks everyone for your input.. I have been taking the pill a few days now and to tell you the truth I still get the choking feelings at night. I take the mylanta and that seems to help me better. I was told that the medicine takes at least 5 days to start working . hope this passes soon..