4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 01-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hubby Update!

My husband is feeling better. We saw his pacemaker doctor today (routine checkup) and everything was perfectly fine with his pacemaker. The doctor didn't have a clue either as to what caused the difficulty breathing episodes last weekend. It is disturbing to not know what happened, but I guess we should be happy that he is so much better now!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm glad that the doctor thinks that everything looks fine. Hopefully he won't have anymore incidents. Great news!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I hope your hubby doesn't have any more problems that can't be identified. It's so scary when that happens. My hubby has lots of ongoing conditions, too...heart, diabetes, etc. I know how frustrating it can all be. Good luck to you both
Blueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I'm so glad the checkup went well. I hope you never have to experience anything like that again!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
My husband is feeling better. We saw his pacemaker doctor today (routine checkup) and everything was perfectly fine with his pacemaker. The doctor didn't have a clue either as to what caused the difficulty breathing episodes last weekend. It is disturbing to not know what happened, but I guess we should be happy that he is so much better now!
Gayle it's wonderful that he is feeling so much better. I'm glad everything checked out fine with the Doctors he has seen, but wonder still what caused the incident. Could it have been something he ate...to full, ate to fast...something maybe he could be allergic to????

Whatever it was...I hope it doesn't come back.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Gayle it's wonderful that he is feeling so much better. I'm glad everything checked out fine with the Doctors he has seen, but wonder still what caused the incident. Could it have been something he ate...to full, ate to fast...something maybe he could be allergic to????

Whatever it was...I hope it doesn't come back.
I sure wish we knew. I don't think it was anything we ate, since it happened several hours after eating. It is very frustrating not knowing!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
I hope your hubby doesn't have any more problems that can't be identified. It's so scary when that happens. My hubby has lots of ongoing conditions, too...heart, diabetes, etc. I know how frustrating it can all be. Good luck to you both
Blueyes, we're going to have to compare notes!!! My husband has heart failure, asthma and other lung problems, insulin dependent diabetes, and moderate kidney failure. It is enough to keep me hopping, for sure!!!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Shada

Glad to hear all is well at the moment.. here's to it remaining so for a very long time!!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:08 AM   #9
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Gayle. I am gald to hear your hubby is feeling better. Hope he continues to and dosen't have any more of those attacks.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Blueyes, we're going to have to compare notes!!! My husband has heart failure, asthma and other lung problems, insulin dependent diabetes, and moderate kidney failure. It is enough to keep me hopping, for sure!!!!!
We'll just start our own support group Mike doesn't have any lung or kidney problems..yet Sorry..you should know that we deal with everything with LOTS of humor! He gives himself 2 shots of insulin and 2 shots of blood thinner daily. Even with that, his blood sugar has been around 350 Don't worry, the dr. is watching him closely! Is your hubby's kidney failure from his diabetes? Geez...poor you and me
Old 01-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
We'll just start our own support group Mike doesn't have any lung or kidney problems..yet Sorry..you should know that we deal with everything with LOTS of humor! He gives himself 2 shots of insulin and 2 shots of blood thinner daily. Even with that, his blood sugar has been around 350 Don't worry, the dr. is watching him closely! Is your hubby's kidney failure from his diabetes? Geez...poor you and me
YIKES!!! We use lots of humor too - you can't cry about all of this so we just laugh too!

My husband has an insulin pump so he doesn't have to take shots anymore. The pump is soooo nice. You just punch in the number of carbohydrates that you eat and push a button and the pump delivers the insulin. You give yourself insulin everytime you eat, even if it is 10 times a day. It is so much nicer than the shots and it keeps his blood sugar much lower.

His kidney problems are caused by a combination of heart failure and diabetes. His heart does not pump out as much blood as it should, so that means his kidneys don't get as much blood as they should, so they don't work as well. His diabetes is also hard on his kidneys, so he gets a double whammy!!!

It's a good thing these men have us to take care of them, isn't it!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I don't know what they would do without us, lol!
Mike is really struggling with his diet. Food has always been his favorite hobby..he loves nothing better than eating at really nice restaurants He had "the big one" 14 years ago when he was 41. I was a young and innocent 36...boy, has all of that changed. He has 7 stents in his arteries. He's actually been doing fine with his heart for awhile...but I'm sure you know what it's like...always waiting for the next thing to happen.
It's always the hardest on us poor wives
Old 01-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
2tiredmom

Boy Oh Boy. You two do have alot in common. I wish you and your husbands the best. My oldest brother was a diabetic also. He had 1 kidney transplant in 1990.
Then was put back on the list for a kidney pancreas transplant in 2004. He had the surgery in September of 04 and died 2 weeks later. The operation was a success but he ended up with a bowel obstruction . So I know how hard it is when some one you love is diabetic.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
I don't know what they would do without us, lol!
Mike is really struggling with his diet. Food has always been his favorite hobby..he loves nothing better than eating at really nice restaurants He had "the big one" 14 years ago when he was 41. I was a young and innocent 36...boy, has all of that changed. He has 7 stents in his arteries. He's actually been doing fine with his heart for awhile...but I'm sure you know what it's like...always waiting for the next thing to happen.
It's always the hardest on us poor wives

Oh DEAR! Gary had 4 bypasses back in 2004, no stents. We were told he had not had a heart attack when he developed heart failure, but then about 6 months later, the medical records said that he HAD had a heart attack. I was never really sure who to believe, and it didn't really matter, the outcome was the same - heart failure. His heart only pumps about 1/2 of what it should, so that makes him feel tired and weak most of the time. He still manages to hunt (drive the four wheeler to the deer blind) and fish a little bit, so that keeps his spirits up!

Mike should look into an insulin pump - you can eat whatever you want - you just count the carbohydrates and give yourself insulin via the pump. Gary is not a big eater, and his diet is not that bad. Now that he is on the insulin pump though, he can eat whatever he wants. Of course, he tried to avoid too much fat due to the heart issue, but he doesn't have to worry about carbs or sugars because he can take all the insulin he needs. Feel free to send me a private message, if you want to talk more about this.

Do you know about private messages? Look up in the right hand top of the page, just under Members List - do you see, Welcome, blueyes? Then under your username, you will see Private Messages - you click there and you can send and receive private messages. I understand what you are going through! I'm happy to help if I can.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

God Bless the two of you. I can't imagine how you cope, Faith in God.
My husband had prostate cancer 5 years ago, it was a hard row to hoe, but he has been cancer free for 5 years. Lot of side effects but we get through it.