4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Entertainment & Shopping

Old 05-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
HALEY

Got into it with a manager at Wal-marts!

I was so excited when I saw Wal-mart now has USDA grade meats, so i went shopping yesterday at Wal-marts and there was a big display with pictures of chicken, steaks, pork chops USDA !!! I was so excited now i didn't have to go grocery shopping somewhere else to get my meat!
Then as i was looking at all the meat i didn't notice any USDA grade stamps on them, so i asked the guy that was working there where are the stamps at, and he showed me a little Wal-mart stamp that said US.. he couldn't answer my questions so he called the manager over, and i asked the manager, i said you have a big sign that says USDA meats.. but there not !!!! he showed me a couple steaks that had the USDA stamp on it, but he couldn't show me anything else, i told him that is false advertisment and that i am going to report the store for that, he was asking me for my name etc. i just got pissed off and left, i can't believe Wal mart is advertising that they have USDA grade meats when they don't is that legal for them to do that ????
Old 05-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

You should write to the head of the company, and send a copy to the Better Business Bureau.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
donna1990
Donating 4WT Addict

Exclamation Got into it with a manager at Walmarts

Good for you, there meat is awful.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Wal Mart is a horrible place. When Sam Walton was alive, it really was about the customer. His greedy children took over and not only treat their customers bad, but their employees. I try to do as little as possible in our store here in town. It's the only discount store we really have. I do more grocery shopping at Marsh, Aldi's and another locally owned store. I honestly wish they never came to Frankfort. There is another city here, about an hours drive that is fighting them. They don't want a store near them, because Wal Mart puts smaller stores out of business.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
You should write to the head of the company, and send a copy to the Better Business Bureau.
Judy i wrote a letter to the USDA Pa inspectors, see if i get a response from them, i'll also send the one to the better business Bureau too, good idea girl !!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 AM   #6
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1990 View Post
Good for you, there meat is awful.
Donna i know, plus you don't know where there meat is coming from, just a couple of month ago a family got ribs from wal marts and they all ended up in the hospital, here there was a buck shot bullet in the meat !!!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #7
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Wal Mart is a horrible place. When Sam Walton was alive, it really was about the customer. His greedy children took over and not only treat their customers bad, but their employees. I try to do as little as possible in our store here in town. It's the only discount store we really have. I do more grocery shopping at Marsh, Aldi's and another locally owned store. I honestly wish they never came to Frankfort. There is another city here, about an hours drive that is fighting them. They don't want a store near them, because Wal Mart puts smaller stores out of business.
i do the same Janet, i get all my meats from Giant Eagle, and the baby stuff is cheaper up wal marts, but that's such a pain to run to all those stores, plus i get my cleaning supplies at General dollar cause there cheaper,, it's hard to run to all these places working full time and taking Micah with me! sometimes i can leave him with Daddy if he's not working OT... that is nice i can shop much faster ..
Old 05-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Tiramisu

I could be totally wrong, but I believe all meat is USDA inspected. I think our taxes pay for that. We can check it out on the net. Are you talking about USDA grading? Maybe they aren't required to grade the meat, but it should have indeed been inspected.

It's a fact that I spend more money on cheaper things at Wal-Mart. If I go to Kroger and spend $200 for "groceries", I'd spend $400 at Wal-Mart BECAUSE I'D PICK UP STUFF THAT I PROBABLY DIDN'T EVEN NEED! I'm trying to get back into the habit of going to a grocery store, a clothing store, etc. So far, I am seeing a difference - in money spent and quality. I've fallen in love with dollar stores for my cleaning supplies and paperware!

Last edited by Tiramisu; 05-24-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #9
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

I don't like Walmart at all!! With what is happening to our economy, with all our manufacturing moving to ASIA, I think Walmart was one of the big drivers of all the lower cost, cheaply produced goods, which in turn increased their profit margins. We think they are saving us money and blindly keep going there when they are the reason the jobs are moving overseas and we have less money. It's a vicious cycle that seems to be spiraling down, resulting in an overall lower standard of living for most of us.

It's disgusting, and I don't know what the solution is for the problem, now. We're so dependent on expensive foreign oil and cheap foreign labor. We're improving their economies and they are over here buying our country right out from under us.

I know it's a political slogan, but we need change we can believe in!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
I have to drive at least half an hour to get to any Wal Mart stores, so with the gas prices as they are, I don't think it's worth it unless I'm planning to do a major shopping. I've been trying as much as possible, to buy locally. I figure if we're to keep the local stores alive we need to all chip in to support them.

I lucked out recently when a neighbor offered us to buy some beef that he'd had butchered. I love being able to buy it in bulk from the local meat market because I know it's GOOD quality and fresh.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:19 AM   #11
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

We have to drive 35 miles to get to a Wal-mart. I've been doing most of my shopping in town because of the price of gas. It's not a bargain if I add the price of gas onto what I'm buying. Plus, I've cut back on shopping there any way. I've heard some stories about how the producers of products for Wal-mart aren't treated well. Personally I think that when Sam Walton died the store went down hill.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

There is no Walmart in Brooklyn, nor in any of the five boroughs of NYC. I don't know why. They are good for some things, from what I've seen. I'm not used to the one stop shopping way of life though. We just don't have that here. I don't think I would enjoy it.

What can I tell you - I'm in a New York state of mind.

I forget which country - it may be Brazil - where they use a mixture of ethanol and something, and are completely self-reliant. They don't need gas and oil It's also a renewable resource because the composition has something to do with corn, which they grow and grow and then grow again. Their cars are made to run on this fuel. The trick is that their government has made it so that a large percentage of gas stations must carry that fuel. In the U.S., only a small %
of our gas stations have to carry it.

I wonder why that is?

" I know it's a political slogan, but we need change we can believe in!! " __________________

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
Marilyn

I actually went to Walmart this evening to get some embroidery thread. We have a Super Walmart about 3 or 4 miles from our house. The craft and fabric stores were all closed and Walmart has a big fabric and craft section with knitting, crochet, scrapbooking, Wilton cake decorating stuff. Lots of things, so I was sure they would have embroidery thread, but nope, they had none. I did find a bottle of craft glue that looked like what I need for another project, so I grabbed it and headed for the registers. All the self check registers were out of order and the only open register on the side of the store where I was had a long line. There is no way that I was going to stand there in that line to buy one bottle of glue. There was a cart there where others had ditched their small purchases, so I tossed the glue on the pile and headed out of there.

Tomorrow I may just have to take off work early so I can make it to one of the craft or fabric stores. So frustrating.

We need change that we can believe in!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Marilyn, I think that's typical of Walmart. They have like 20 check out lines and only one or 2 open. It's insane! They've definitely gone downhill and they have no one to blame but themselves.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 AM   #15
HALEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiramisu View Post
I could be totally wrong, but I believe all meat is USDA inspected. I think our taxes pay for that. We can check it out on the net. Are you talking about USDA grading? Maybe they aren't required to grade the meat, but it should have indeed been inspected.

It's a fact that I spend more money on cheaper things at Wal-Mart. If I go to Kroger and spend $200 for "groceries", I'd spend $400 at Wal-Mart BECAUSE I'D PICK UP STUFF THAT I PROBABLY DIDN'T EVEN NEED! I'm trying to get back into the habit of going to a grocery store, a clothing store, etc. So far, I am seeing a difference - in money spent and quality. I've fallen in love with dollar stores for my cleaning supplies and paperware!
If the meat was inspected it would have a USDA stamp on it... i look for the stamp whenever i purchase meat, i dont want meat unless it came from the good old USA.. i don't know where the meat came from if it don't have the stamp on it. it could come from China as far as i know...