4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 01-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Work

I feel better writing about this from home than from work... but remember my supervisor I was having issues with in the past few years? Well, I haven't had issues with him in a long time. In fact, I've really liked him and he's helped me out a lot when I'm in a bind lately. Of course he has his other duties, taking care of the company vehicles, organizing everything having to do with computers, repairs, and supplies.

I figured he was out on a job when he only came in a few hours last week. Someone asked where he was today and I said he must be out doing something. They said his office is really clean. I asked the receptionist and she said a little birdie told her he's done with the company. I couldn't believe it. He came in for an hour today and I asked him to find something for me and he took care of it, getting the IT people to get back to me, because he wouldn't be around anymore. It's just all very weird. Was he fired? Did he quit? What's going on? Nobody knows and it's just swept under the rug, nobody has mentioned a thing about it. The receptionist was quietly told just to remove his name from the office list. He's been there the 3rd longest behind the ex manager and the new manager. Now that leaves me being the 3rd in line. And I've only been there for 4 years.

It just all feels a little sickening to me. I had a week of feeling okay and now I feel worried about my job again. I was head of the drafting department, and now without anyone telling me, one of the guys from Arizona is head of the drafting department. We had a meeting today about some standards he is on a committee for (that I TRIED to get started for the past 3 years!) and he named another contracted worker from Arizona as the last person on that committee. I am being overlooked and I think I'm right down to the bottom of the totem pole again. I don't know why and I don't know what's going on.

Even the receptionist said she doesn't feel secure anymore. She said whenever the manager talks to her without making eye contact, she thinks she's the next to be canned.

I must be secure for now, with the conversation I just had with my manager, but I can't always work those kinds of hours and I know that will make me look worse, and I think maybe I should keep my eyes peeled for other opportunities if they might arise I just hate what's happening there lately. I just feel sick for my old supervisor and his family... he has been doing a lot more lately than he ever did before and I don't know why this is happening.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's odd that someone would be let go and people not know why. Of course I not worked that much to know for sure. It sounds like your company is going through some kind of upset. Just keep your ears open and keep doing your job the best you can. I'm sure that you wouldn't have any problems finding another job. Hugs!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks Diana. Our receptionist was fired a few months ago too, without any warning and no mention of it later except one email company-wide to tell everyone to take her off their mailing list. In fact, she didn't even know why. She came into work for the day, got called into the manager's office, and was told she wasn't needed anymore. She asked why, and the manager wouldn't say a thing, just stared at her until she left.

That's how it's all been happening here. One guy who was here for longer than me was let go earlier this year. Nobody said a word. Then the lab manager all of a sudden wasn't here anymore and a meeting was called to let everyone know who was now in charge, but no mention of what happened with the other guy. Nobody knew. I wish they could just tell us straight out instead of letting all the rumors swirl for months about what might have happened.

I know another job would be easy to find, and I have a standing offer from one company waiting for me to come over already! But the reason I stay here and put up with all the overtime hours and hostility and weirdness is because I can bring Layla to work with me. I won't be able to do that anywhere else. If it comes down to it, of course, there are a few great doggy daycares that take care of special needs pets, but that's more money spent.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Lindsay! I just hate that type of environment - it is TOXIC!!! You know knowledge is power and so I would imagine that is why the general workforce knows nothing about what is happening but it just makes everyone so stressed and edgy. It's totally the wrong sort of work environment.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gayle is right Linds. Get out of there! You should not be in a place all day, 5 days a week, where you are uncomfortable. It's so unhealthy.

Layla would love doggie day care. She can be with other dogs all day, and that is the best! Max went to doggie day care for a while and he would leap out of the car and not look back at me when I took him there. It is worth the money.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Unfortunately, Layla doesn't really like other dogs, and other dogs are apprehensive and sometimes mean to her, because her tail can't move and that's a big show of expression. She would have to be mostly alone for the day, because any dogs playing rough or running around her risk hurting her spine more. As a special needs pet, she'd have a little room to herself and she'd have tons of attention and some exercise, but of course it's still a huge price! We figured out how much we spent on Layla last year, and it was astronomical! I couldn't believe the number, but it was close to $8,000 A lot of the year we had her somewhere almost every day, and we just can't do that anymore. It might be feasible if we could find a daycare that wouldn't charge much, but I don't see myself getting another job that would pay that much above what I make now.

I really try to stay out of drama at my work. I know I probably come off as snobby, but I sit at my desk and work, take breaks to go online sometimes (like now!) and I even eat my lunch right here. I don't hang out with people outside of work, mostly because I like to have respect for my coworkers and have them respect me. Too many of our after-work functions end with drunkenness and acting out and I just don't like it. But sometimes I think being closed off is the problem, because the people who are personally close to the managers seem to get further.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

What a crappy way to run a company! I can't imagine just telling someone to get there stuff and go without a good reason
Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Wow, that is harsh. I know here in the US they have to have an excuse to fire you not just tell you your fires and that's that. Just do your job and hope for the best I'm sure everything will be ok.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

You need to have an excuse here too, unless it's on your probation period, and I think the receptionist was just coming up to the end of her probation period. Usually it's 3 months but I think some companies have it longer. If they just don't like you in that time, they can get rid of you.

I heard through the grapevine that with one guy, they wanted to fire him, so they were searching for a reason to fire him. They even went through his company email account, including backups of any emails he might have deleted. I guess they found something good enough.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I hope your work environment improves - it sucks to be somewhere everyday that is toxic
Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Sure does suck being in that environment , that is unbelievable how they just fire people on the spot. So Heartless!!! Lindsay I believe in Karma and every dog has its day. Hang in there try to make the best of the situation and try not to stress over it. Easier said than done I know. I don't know about the job situation in Cananda but here in the states it's not so easy to get jobs with this economy.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I wouldn't want to work in a place like that. When I was fired from the SWCD it came as a big shock. When I asked them why I was being fired (since all my reviews were excellent) they said they were told by their attorney to not say. They tried to fight my unemployement claim and lost....guess that showed them...lol.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I always thought that keeping a low profile, and doing a good job is the best thing to do at work if there's trouble brewing.

Good luck Linds!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks for the support everyone! We went to a work function for Scott's company on Saturday and at the end of the night I was sitting beside his boss, and he said "You knew I was going to ask you about this at some point tonight, but when are you going to jump ship and come work for me?" I laughed and said "Well, I've come close!" and he asked why I'm staying here, and that he had no idea we were treated so badly (referring to my asking for time off almost a year in advance and getting shut down, which Scott told him about). Then he asked if I'm staying just because of my dog or what. I said that's part of it, and also that I have the holiday time saved to go to Europe. He asked what will happen after Europe and I said I'd have to think about it then. He said just let him know when I'm ready.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Lindsey I don't know what your waiting for. Your opportunity is there don't let it go by.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote