4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Beauty & Fashion

Old 03-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

For Those Of You Who Love To Get A Suntan.

This is something kind of interesting I read. And, knowing me I will try it when it's warm and sunny out while I'm kicking back at the river this summer. Thought Id share it with the rest of you.

"I was in Mexico a couple of years ago and a lady saw me tanning outside the hotel and I just couldn't tan, she then said, " want a great tan"? Of course, " I said". She said buy some Coke, not diet coke, cherry coke or generic, just plain Coke and apply it over skin. Believe me, I did, and laid out for a while, I got up, and I had the best tan ever. It lasted for about 6-7 months. So, now I do it here in Milwaukee when it gets hot, I even use the coke in the tanning machines and it really works. And, no, bugs will not eat you. The coke dries in your skin and then your skin is silky. This is the best tanning lotion I have ever used."
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

WHAT you SERIOUS coke???? WHO would have thought? Sheryl, i'm gonna be a walking coke bottle this summer i swear, i am gonna try it, in fact i'm so pumped up now, i want summer to start tomorrow morning when i wake up LMAO!!! ONE COKE FOR US PLEASE! My husband is gonna ask if i got rocks in my head LOL
Old 03-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
rivermom

LMAO !! I know for a fact I'm gonna try it. However I will be buying the cheap coke. If I use the "coca cola" brand which my hubby drinks he will go insane. He HAS to have his coke let me tell ya. I'm not a big soda fan but surely I will dump it on my body.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

My husband also has to have he's coke... i add juice to mine if he poors me some LOL
I got all sorts of visions running thru my mind of me laying there with he's bottle next to me LMAO!!!! He probably would blow a gasket hahahahaha

Him: (lovey what you doing now??? ) LMFAO!!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I have never heard of that before. When I was young, I used baby oil, baby oil and iodine, crisco oil and just fried. Now that I'm older, I don't even try to tan. I don't want all those wrinkles.

We have a greeter at our Wal Mart in town that is tan all year and she looks horrible. I don't know how old she is, but she has so many wrinkles on her face and neck. Be careful when you do this ladies, not only is there wrinkles, but skin cancer.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Janet

Don't ya just hate it when someone comes and rains on your parade??? Sorry!
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
Gina

Janet.. I remember those days lol I used the baby oil. But really was never a fan of the sun. I agree ladies be careful, besides the leather wrinkly skin , you have to worry about skin cancer, please protect yourselves.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
rivermom

If there is someone who should truly stay out of the sun, I realize it is me.

My Mom is covered in skin cancer, going every 3 months to have spots cut out of her. She has scars, large indentions, and abnormalities on the surface of her skin now due to all the removal.

My oldest brother just found out recently he too has skin cancer. He is 5 years older than myself.

Both of them have spent years in the sun. My Mom who always loved basking in the sun for many years is now paying the price. My brother, who spent many many years in the special forces spending much of his time out in the sun also is paying the price.

I realize everytime I lay on that river, enjoying the sun, the tan, and all the feelings I receive from that sun's warmth, I too possibly will pay that price.

Actually I did start using sunscreen last year and don't ever tan my face anymore. Unfortunately I cannot seem to stear clear of tanning the rest of my body.

I will have to try this coke just to see if it works (on my legs/arms). Then *laughing* change over to sunscreen.

In the warmer months I spend hours upon hours outside, I love it. It's my therapy. But I do honestly think about the affects the sun has and try to be responsible sometimes.

Well heck...Look at my avator. I have my hat on sheilding my face from the sun. See, I do try. LOL
Old 03-04-2007, 04:38 AM   #9
Janet

Please just be careful Sheryl, your family history of skin cancer isn't a good one. You can still tan with a sunscreen, even the highest count one. You just won't burn if you keep reapplying it.

Everyone out there.......you just have to ask yourself "IS IT WORTH IT". Sheryl's post of her mother and brother tell me "NO", it's not. Please be careful.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
KikiLane

My sister in laws best friend (she is 19) just got diagnosed with skin cancer from going to the tanning bed. They give her a 50/50 chance of surviving. She had to drop out of college and will be starting chemo next week monday through friday for 4 weeks. I feel so bad for her.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiLane
My sister in laws best friend (she is 19) just got diagnosed with skin cancer from going to the tanning bed. They give her a 50/50 chance of surviving. She had to drop out of college and will be starting chemo next week monday through friday for 4 weeks. I feel so bad for her.

OMG that is so sad to hear, I have to send this to my daughter, she is 19 and likes to go to the tanning salon. These kids don't realize how dangerous this is. My prayers are with this girl...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

I don't tan anymore. I'm doing the best I can to prevent wrinkles.
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #13
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm terrible. I start off with the tanning salon around mid-May, and then beach it for as long as the weather stays warm. I'm not really wrinkled from it - genetic luck!
At least nothing a few shots (not botox) didn't get rid of, but I'm 60, so some wrinkles are to be expected.

But...my dermatologist and I are really close. I go there often for a full body cancer check. Anything she sees, she sends out for a biopsy. I've been really lucky so far.
2 pre-cancerous thingies on my face and one on the bottom of my foot years ago.

The beach is my favorite place. I read, swim, relax and just love it there. I'm a real summer person.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #14
Elisandra

we used to use beer too like budweiser put it in a spray bottle and that also does the trick. Now that i am a bit older i only put on Sunblock and i still get a nice tan too
Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
stephluvsangel6

mayeb thats why hubs is so tan he drinks so much budweiser that it seeps out his poors and he is out in that sun riding an he tans

im such a dork but when i read the one that said they used to use budweiser i thought of my hubs drinking and ridiing at thebeach and he is tan but then again hes mexican so there you go

i dont tan i burn so i hide from the sun like a vampire