4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > 4WT Recipes

Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Zucchini?

Okay who has a recipe that involves zucchini? I have never used zucchini before (except maybe once, in Home Ec class in high school...) and I don't know what to do with it! My mom gave me two from her garden and they've been sitting in the fridge for a couple of weeks. I need to do something before they go bad!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Easy idea - slice it up, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, then grill it until it's as soft as you like it. Yummy!

I've seen recipes for zucchini chips that look good too. Google it. Something with breading and baking.

What kind of zucchini? The long green ones? I love them!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks Judy! Yes, they are long and green lol. My ex's mom used to grill them (maybe?) and use them in wraps and stuff. I think I made zucchini loaf in high school once. It's just not something I've ever really eaten!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

You can dip them in cornmeal seasoned with salt and pepper and fry them in oil. That's my favorite fattening way to eat them. Cook until they are brown on each side. Yummmm......

We've been broiling them in the oven. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray so they don't stick. Sprinkle salt and pepper then broil until they're slightly brown. Turn over and broil the other side until slightly brown. These are good too!!

There are sooo many zucchini recipes on the internet. You can grind them up and make a cake which is really good and moist. It's a very versatile vegetable!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I've never made anything with this, but my brother's wife makes bread and cake. Says it's the most moist she's ever had.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

yep, zucchini bread is very very good! I love them fried too - but very fattening, so I don't often do it.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I would love to have the fried, but too fattening for me too. Do any of you have a low cal zucchini bread recipe?

Linds, this is so yummy!!!

Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
DianaB

You could change any sugar in it to Splenda and make it lower sugar. I don't think that it has much fattening in a cake because the zucchini is what adds the moisture.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Zucchini bread does have quite a bit of oil, but you could sub part of the oil with applesauce. If you used splenda instead of sugar too, it should be much lower cal.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #10
DianaB

I've been eating a lot of milled flax seed and the box says that you can replace it in recipes for oil. You'd probably have to work the recipe a little.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:14 AM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I never heard of that, but zucchini season is over here. Since the floods, our supermarket is closed, so there is not much variety in food nearby.

They are supposed to reopen at the end of the month, and I can shop more easily then for out of season produce. I'm not complaining though. Getting farm grown local produce is great, and there are several places to go. I guess it''s back to winter squash, apples and pears for now.

Is anybody decorating for Halloween? I have some squash out that are serving as decorations, at least until I eat them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2856.JPG (84.5 KB, 5 views)

Old 10-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary bought me some gourds and a funny looking pumpkin the other day. I have them on my kitchen table.

oops. sorry that pic is sideways, it's not on my computer???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.JPG (122.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (92.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
The only decoration I have up are a couple small scarecrows and a few figurines (did I spell that right? Doesn't look like it...lol). They were Mom's and I hadn't put them away with my things yet so I just set them out. I should get a pumpkin to sit on the front porch.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
DianaB

I don't have anything out yet. I'm so slow about getting decorations out. I have a set of three pumpkins that are made out of wood and painted. They're just square but are cute. The porch is still filled with my summer plants so I need to get them moved to get out the pumpkins.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm not bothering with decorating outside. There are no kids up here now, and, having lived in an apartment building all of my life, I never got into the habit of decorating outside. Christmas is different though. I have my wreath ready!

I brought my summer plants in weeks ago, Diana! We have had a couple of frosts already.

I might find some small evergreens to put in the deck planters. I think that would look nice when I look out the window. The only problem is, what would I do with them come spring? We aren't supposed to plant our own stuff outside. I would anyway, but I arranged with our landscaper to redo some of my front garden. It's a very good deal. I pay for the foliage. Maintenance is already paid for as part of my monthly condo fee.

I guess I can pot the evergreens and give them to Jessie.