4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Health & Diet

Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I'm in the hospital..

I've really been having trouble with my blood sugar dropping. Like last week I was in the grocery store, had 3 items in my buggy, and I got "that feeling" so I hurried to the checkout. By the time I got home, which takes about 3 minutes..my blood sugar was 27. I sweat and shake, but the worst is the brain fog. I have to concentrate so hard to even get some sugar and then some protein eaten. I've never passed out, but I've come really close several times. It's happening more often and faster, so I actually told my doctor. He sent me to an endocrinologist, Dr. Plan. He said I needed to do a 72 hour fast in the hospital with my blood sugar taken every 3 hours, if it goes below 70 it gets checked every hour, if it goes below 50 they draw blood for labs then I get glucose. So far it's only dropped to 67 and right now it's back up to 89. I feel fine except for the nasty headache I have from no caffeine or sugar. I'm really not that hungry, but I'm feeling a little bitchy.

We really don't want my blood sugar to drop while I'm fasting because that would mean a possible pancreatic tumor. I think I'm going to have to see a nutritionist and just basically start eating like a diabetic! There is medicine to block carb absorption, but we're gonna try the DIET first
Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Oh no I'm sorry you're having troubles Betsi! But I am very glad you're getting it checked out now.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh my gosh BETSI!!!! I hope they find out what is wrong. And I would be MORE THAN BITCHY! I might have shot someone by now! Please let us know what they find. Janet fell out the door, you almost fell out at the grocery store. What is happening to us???
Old 08-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

OK Betsi, how are you this morning. Is this a 3 day test? When will you be finished?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Oh my!! I know that feeling......low blood pressure makes you feel awful!! I've had mine get in the 70's and realized that something was wrong when I stood looking at the washing machine in a daze. I hope that the doctor's are able to figure out what's going on. Going that low can cause you to black out so they have to figure out something. I'm on the Atkins diet which is really good for diabetics or people with blood sugar problems. I've heard that the South Beach diet is just as good and not as strict.

Keep us posted on what's going on. I'm here if you need someone to talk to! Hugs!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Oh Betsi, tell us how you're doing. I sometimes have that feeling of shaky and claminess. I know you will, but please keep an eye on this.

Gayle...I don't know what's going on with all of us, but it needs to stop now!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Hi everybody! I'm still in the hospital, but I should get out at 5 this afternoon. It is a 72 hour fast, and I've only had ice water since 8pm Sunday. My blood sugar has been between 71 and 101, which is great! So that means that it's from my diet. My body over reacts to carbs and sugar, and dips wayyy too low. I feel pretty good today. I took a tramadol for my headache and it takes the edge off. I got to take an ambien last night, and I found earplugs in my purse so I slept much better!

I'm trying to pay close attention to my body and mind. I have found that my very first reaction to stress of any kind is an intense need for food. But if I just stay with it for awhile, it passes. I've also realized how much time I spend thinking about food...like what I've eaten, and what I will eat next. I just need to try to remember to be aware and vigilant.

Right now what I want is a glass of tea with Splenda
Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

There is nothing that makes you start thinking about your health than a wake up call! I had mine a couple of years ago and am trying to do better with my eating habits. You can do it!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
2tiredmom

Hope you are out of the Hospital now. Or getting ready to be released. So sorry you are having problems. You are in my prayers. I hope you can get a good diet plan that will help. Keep us posted. Hugs...
Old 08-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

That is good news Betsi. Your insurance should pay for some sessions with a nutritionist. That would probably help. Issues with food are really very hard to deal with. You see, if you want to quit smoking or quit drugs you can stop and never smoke or take the drug again. It's not like that with food, because you can't stop cold turkey, you must eat. So controlling the type and amount of food can sometimes be harder than tobacco or the like.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
Janet

Betsi...are you home and doing okay?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh boy! I hope you are feeling better, Betsi! If it's not one thing, it's another!

You are in my prayers!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Janet

Anyone heard from Betsi yet? I haven't seen her on FB and I'm getting worried.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, I saw someone post on FB that they were having dinner today with Betsi in the Dallas area, so I think she must be OK, maybe out of town for the weekend.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
Janet

Okay good, thanks Gayle.