4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 AM   #1
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Working it!

Since I enjoyed my first litter of Labradoodle pups and was well satisfied with how they sold, I decided I'd like to expand on it. My site is still busy, I've found new FREE places to advertise that are keeping my site traffic up even now that I've run out of pups to sell. (I Had 203 page views in a single day this past week) So I have been half heartedly looking for new dogs to add to the breeding program, and got lucky once again!

Today I am taking ownership of Bella, a nice 1 yr old black lab female. She's AKC reg, house trained and used to kids, cats, and other dogs. Her previous owner got her not realizing how energetic and busy lab puppies are so ended up frustrated and wanting to be rid of her. His fool hearty attitude will hopefully be my good fortune.

Due to landlord problems, I am also taking back one of the female pups that I'd recently sold. Snuggles is a black f1 Labradoodle, turning out very cute, and while she's out of Moses and Canada, If I keep her I can breed her with my new chocolate poodle male... so that's the plan today. LOL

snuggles3.jpg Snuggles

The new chocolate boy will be coming home this weekend. I have yet to come up with a name for him, but am going to be putting a lot of my future plans on him. I am going to be getting him DNA tested so if he proves to be sound genetically I will be able to know what colors he's able to pass on, that he's not a carrier for issues commonly found in purebred poodles, etc. He will be the first one I'll have tested... followed by the females. By having all my breeding dogs tested I will be able to guarantee my pups and increase the value of every one of my dogs.

Being able to sell pups with a DNA guarantee should put us in a whole better category (and price range).

So I might be insane... this is going to be a major undertaking... but it's working for me so far, so why back off now. LOL My goal is to have 3 -4 litters a year (during the warmer months of the year) then give us all a rest over winter.

So I'm working it and we're now well on our way!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
Tiramisu

Good for you! Don't you just love having that new life around you!

A few years back, I bit off a big chunk - built an enclosed building with heat and AC, fenced around it and paved part, bought 2 pairs of shih tzus, 1 pair of bichons, and 1 pair of yorkies (all as pups). The bichons had one litter that hadn't sold at 4mo, so I gave the 4 pups and parents away. The shih tzus were awesome sellers, but with having a day job, I just couldn't keep up. Between all the dogs, I had 17 pups at one time. So, a friend of mine took the shih tzus. It was hard to let the shih tzus go, but I do get to visit them and hear about them all the time, so it's much better.

Now, I just have my 3 adult yorkies and the 5# (spayed) shih tzu. Since I am hoping to retire in 380 days, I am adding to my yorkies. I'm getting a second adult male this weekend and am looking for a female. I'm also getting a 6mo maltese girl this weekend, but will have her spayed.

For me, it's not about the money - I love having my doggies to care for and I dearly love seeing the pleasure on the new owners face when they get that first puppy lick/kiss.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Tink, it sounds like you're about to get very busy!!!! I hope that it all works out for you!! Just remember to take care of you first!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
Tink

Tiramisu,
That had to be SO depressing!
I sold 8 of my 12 quickly and then had a tougher time selling the last 4. Toward the end I did more searching and found some very busy places to advertise for free that really got things moving for me. So I will use them right away from now on.

My website has been a real God-send with this. I doubt I'd have had anywhere near the success I've had without it.

I also plan to be set up to ship pups by the time the next litter is ready which will open up a lot more possible sales for me. Most of this recent litter went to people 3-4 hrs away who were willing to drive here to pick them up. I now have people farther away who want to be notified when the next litter is born so need to be able to get pups to them.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Looks like you've laid out some well thought plans Tink. Just a reminder...start small and don't get overwhelmed too quickly...it's so easy to let happen.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Tiramisu

I started a website, but closed it out because I didn't want to get involved in shipping. If I get to retire I will absolutely do shipping. I only advertise with the local newspaper and a couple of online places through TV and radio stations.

I've mentioned the pups on YT for locals. We've had 14 pups in 3 years and I know where 12 of them are. They tend to go to friends and family. My daughter has sold 5 to or through people at her church.
Tiramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Marilyn

Wish you breeders very well. I've raised cattle, not dogs, and have had my fill of the responsibilities that go with livestock. At least for now, I'll stick with having dogs for pets and spoiling. If I ever did breed, it would probably be Yorkies or Biewers and on a very small scale.

Tink, I'm so happy for you that you are enjoying this and able to grow your program. One thing I will say for the larger designer dogs, they do have a lot of puppies in one litter which definitely should improve the revenue from your operation.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

This is great Tink. You're really enjoying breeding it seems. I'm really so happy for you - and the lucky families who get your pups. You have such integrity and a love of animals!

I lost track - weren't you also getting a smaller male poodle also?

So - who's breeding and who's not at this point?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Tink

Judy, I got Bella yesterday. She's got SUCH a sweet personality and temperament! She' needs to put some meat on her bones, but is a really nice dog.

I am hoping to breed Bella and Canada to Moses in the near future for spring/summer litters.
If either has a really nice female pup I will likely hold it back for use as a future breeder. Then when Snuggles and the other 1 or 2 daughters of Moses get old enough, I'm hoping to breed them all with the new chocolate boy for f1b pups.

Canada is 5, so won't have more than one or 2 more litters at most. Then I'll spay and retired her. By that time I'll have Bella and Snuggles to use; while the other one or 2 (at most) are maturing.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:25 AM   #10
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thanks Tink! I kind of have it straight.

At any rate, we need pictures of the whole gang please.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
Tink

It looks right now like I'll be getting my new chocolate boy this evening. I'm so eager to be able to show him off! I've wanted a chocolate for SO LONG!

I am a bit concerned about integrating him into the pack since Moses is so terribly determined to be the boss around here. He accepts the females when he figures out that's what they are... but another male might be a whole different matter. I'm hoping the fact that's he's too young yet to breed will help but only time will tell.

It will be a relief when the apricot labradoodle boy pup goes to his new home next weekend. And an ever bigger treat when the weather warms up so we can get more runs built. We have the space and materials, but winter in Wisconsin isn't the time to try digging to plant fence posts. LOL
Old 02-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
Tink

Since I'm now officially between litters, I decided it's prime time to do some of the administrative jobs that go with selling dogs. So I emailed all of my buyers tonight and asked them to update me on how things are going with their new babies... asked what I could/should do to improve the puppy buying experience for my next litter of buyers... etc.

I made sure to address each by their own name, ask about their pups by name, and tried to work in a little something personal to them in each email so it wouldn't look like the form letters you get from the Drs office. LOL

I also told them about the new dogs I've gotten, my plans on breeding Canada and Moses again in the near future, and about beginning to DNA test the dogs.

I'm hoping that by keeping in touch with everyone I can know how to best improve my little business and build a great reputation for being involved past the point of sale.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:33 AM   #13
Marilyn

Tink aka Brenda, I decided to check out your website. If I weren't sure that we need to stick with small dogs because we travel so much, I'd be tempted to try a Labradoodle. They look so sweet. Our only experience with a large dog was a blonde labradore that my hubby bought for the girls when I was on a business trip once. She was a pretty dog, and huge, around 90 lbs, but never connected with humans. She couldn't care less whether she was being petted or not.

I need dogs who like people, and yours seem to be very social and absolutely beautiful. Must admit, I'm tempted. My little Zoe (3 lb yorkie girl) loved our 16 year old golden spitz who disappeared recently. They would cuddle a lot. I could see her snuggling with a labradoodle.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
Tink

Marilyn, you've got them pegged. LOL
The trick with these dogs is how to get away from them. They're so affectionate and attentive that they are constantly touching and cuddling. When I take a shower they're huddled against the bathroom door like toddlers waiting for me to come out. If I don't get the door latched properly they will push their way INTO the bathroom and lay by the tub and even stick their heads in the shower to see me.

When Greg built the doggy duplex, it was so that the dogs would have plenty of space as they grew... in reality they all crowd into one side in a huge pile leaving the other side empty. Each side is 4' x4'... but when you get 4 dogs this size into one... that's not a lot of space. LOL They don't care. They prefer to be close and together.

It's a rare lab that isn't extremely social. I think yours is only the second one I've ever heard of. Makes me wonder what kind of life it had before your DH got her.
Poodles are very affectionate too but not as pushy about it. Moses and Chip both love to use my feet as a pillow when they nap. So the combination of the 2 breeds is bound to be friendly and cuddly unless someone really messed up.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Since I'm now officially between litters, I decided it's prime time to do some of the administrative jobs that go with selling dogs. So I emailed all of my buyers tonight and asked them to update me on how things are going with their new babies... asked what I could/should do to improve the puppy buying experience for my next litter of buyers... etc.

I made sure to address each by their own name, ask about their pups by name, and tried to work in a little something personal to them in each email so it wouldn't look like the form letters you get from the Drs office. LOL

I also told them about the new dogs I've gotten, my plans on breeding Canada and Moses again in the near future, and about beginning to DNA test the dogs.

I'm hoping that by keeping in touch with everyone I can know how to best improve my little business and build a great reputation for being involved past the point of sale.
Tink, you are going about this is such a good business way. I'm sure that you'll have lots of people wanting your puppies!!!!

Reuger will lay by the bathroom door when I bathe too. I can hear him sniffing outside of the door!! It's so funny!!!! I can just see all of your bigger dogs huddled by the door waiting on you!!!!! Too cute!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote