4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 11-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

New family members

Everyone, meet our new fur-kids

These little guys were in bad shape and dropped off at a vet's office in my mom's home town, and then never claimed. The vet contacted a rescue in my city and that's where they went. They were both very badly matted and terrified of people.

The female, named Isadore at the rescue, is probably 8-10 years old according to the vet they saw. She had terrible teeth. The foster mom said she was feeding her a treat, and a molar fell right out into her hand. It was totally black and neon green. She had a dental done and is left with just three teeth left in her mouth, the poor girl. She was badly infected but is better now after antibiotics.

As if that weren't enough, she was also very lumpy and they were sure she had cancer. They removed mammary tumors which were tested and ended up being benign. She seems to have been used hard for breeding Her front legs also sort of point in to each other when she walks, which is a little weird but does not seem painful to her.

She is still timid around people but her spirit is not broken. She gets scared when someone is walking towards her, but if we're at her level and speaking softly, she perks up and even wags her tail. When the treats came out, she was spinning in circles for them! She spent most of her time in her kennel on our visit, but when we got her out, she fell asleep in both my arms and Scott's. She is such a little sweetheart, and I know she will get better when she sees all people aren't bad!

The male bichon cross (I think he looks like a maltese!), Kash, was not in as bad of shape. He also had bad teeth, but ended up just having to lose his front teeth. He has them all from the canines back. The vet thought he was 7 or 8 but we think he's much younger. He has a lot of energy, although he still likes to curl in a ball to sleep too! He loves to play fetch and will bring the toy back and drop it to be thrown again. He also learned to sit for treats very quickly!

The two of them had to be rehomed together because they're very attached to each other. If she cries, he is right there licking her ears and sniffing her head and making sure she's okay. They even snuggle together when they sleep!

They are both house trained. They know the word "outside" and they run right to the yard to pee, and right back to the door to come in. They love going for walks, but Kash is better on a leash than his sister. She runs ahead until she's choking herself! So we need to work on that.

We will be picking them up on Friday when Scott is home from his work trip. Layla is making me feel guilty! She was okay with them when they were here, and as soon as we took them back to the foster after our day visit, I don't think she was ever going to stop licking our faces! But I know she will learn to love them, and we will still love her as much as always!

By the way... if you noticed I didn't use Isadore's name much, it's because we are probably going to change it. We think she's a Lucy Lucy in the sky with diamonds... both of our girls would be named after songs! She doesn't seem to respond to much now. We read through names with a bunch of different sounds and she didn't move at all. Maybe she never had a name before. The rescue called her Izzy for short, but I think it sounds close enough to Lindsey that it might get confusing in our house! So I think it will be Lucy

After all that, here they are!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1600_DSCF2737.jpg (186.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_DSCF2743.jpg (186.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_DSCF2744.jpg (185.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg K1600_DSCF2747.jpg (192.1 KB, 12 views)

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I saw their pictures on FB Linds and you're doing such a good thing. It has to be awful to be old and feel like you're not wanted. Just makes my heart ache.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Janet, I know what you mean! I wanted to cry when I took them back to the foster home. I kept telling them they are going to come back and live with us forever but we just have to give them to their foster mommy for one more week. I hate that they might have thought we were abandoning them too! They were just getting so comfortable in our house.

Tonight my dad is in town so I asked their foster mom if I can bring them to my grandma's for a visit and she said it was no problem! I am so excited to see them again!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 11-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Awww......how sweet!! It touches my heart that they are so close to each other. I know that you'll enjoy having them!!

We have an airdale, Mollee, and Amy has a lab, Olie, and they have grown up together. Jaci wants to take Mollee home but it's hard to think about separating them so Mollee stays here.

I look forward to hearing more and seeing more pictures!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Lindsey you are one lucky girl. Look at all that love

I can't believe theirs cruel people who would even think of doing such thing. Maybe abandoning them was the only good thing they ever done

I have a maltese and he looks nothing but maltese.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I saw the new babies on fb, but I want to tell you here how wonderful you and Scott are for adopting them. They are beautiful little dogs! You are doing such a wonderful thing.

How is Layla adjusting? She is such a sweetie, I'm sure she will love them, as long as she learns that you and Scott still love her the same.

Any new pix?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Judy I don't think we've even taken pictures since we've got them home!! I will need to take the camera out more often!

Layla is adjusting okay. She still avoids them and Scott tries to push them together but I tell him it will just take time. Kash is pretty crazy and he is nuts over toys. Because of that, Layla is not interested in toys anymore. I know she doesn't want to get in the middle of it and have him come after her for whatever toy she has. So she is showing no interest in toys anymore. She will not go near the ones he has been playing with, so I'm keeping some of her favourites up away from the other dogs, and maybe sometime Scott can go out with those two, and I can get Layla to play one on one with me with her own toys!

All of the dogs have been playing musical beds at night. First of all, Kash does not want to sleep on the floor, but we're making him anyway. He and Layla both snuggle with us on the bed for a while, and then go down when we're going to sleep. Kash will try to cry his way back up for 10 minutes or so, but if we ignore, he will just curl up where he is. Layla has her own bigger bed in our room. It's bigger because she can't curl up anymore. Her body is always stretched out! I got a little donut bed for Kash, and a little house for Lucy because she is most comfortable in a den. Lucy went straight for her little house which was great! The first night, Kash was jumping all over Layla in her bed, so she went to the donut bed. I thought I'd just change positions so I switched those two around the next night, and put Layla to sleep in her bed first. I woke up in the morning, and Kash was in her bed again, and Layla was in the little one. So I guess it didn't matter where they were! The next morning I woke up, and Kash was in Layla's bed, and at first glance I thought Layla was in the donut... but nope, that was Lucy! Layla's nose was sticking out of Lucy's house! Lol!!! I guess if Layla's getting kicked out of her bed, she has to kick someone else out too!

Anyways, I'm happy to see they're all okay with sharing their sleeping spaces! And they all sleep right through the night.

Yesterday we were worried about how they'd do while we were at work. We expressed Layla on two pee pads in trays, and while both dogs sniffed them, they didn't use them. When we got home, there was just a poop at the garage door, but no pee anywhere! I let them out as soon as I got home. They seemed to do okay. I moved the pads to where they pooped yesterday, to see if that makes a difference.

Lucy is still pretty shy and timid, but she does come out sometimes. She will wag her tail and hop around on her front legs a little bit. When Kash starts playing, she runs to her kennel. I wonder if she was beaten before, because quick moves really scare her. Even if I'm playing with Kash and grab a toy quickly, she runs to her kennel. Last night I got her to sleep in my arms while I was watching tv. She will take some time to get used to us too. She does have quite a shrill cry when she is scared or alone!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
DianaB

They all sound so sweet!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You did such a wonderful thing adopting the two older ones, but I hope it doesn't jeopardize Layla's health. She has made strides I would hate for them to stress out too much.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I was worried about that too Janet. Layla and Kash still seem to be fighting over being alpha. Sometimes they're okay with each other, but when Kash gets obnoxious with the toys in front of her, she will start barking. He growled at her a couple of times when she'd get close to his face, and last night he nipped her on the neck. That's not okay with how fragile her neck is but Scott was right there and pulled him off immediately, and Layla stopped barking at him and hasn't barked at him since. Maybe she will back down and just let him be boss. He has never tried to hurt her, just wanted to put her in her place this time I think. He's never been pushy with either of them. Not long after that happened, we took Layla to the vet for a pee sample, and when we got home, Kash had peed on some plastic grocery bags that were sitting in the hall with extension cords in them. We know it was him because there was actually some pee IN the bags too. This is the first time he has marked in our house and I hope it's the last. He stopped marking in the foster mom's house as soon as he was neutered.

Layla and Kash were both okay to lay in bed with us last night. They were only maybe 6 inches apart, and they both fell asleep. Layla actually scurreid under the covers and was squished right up against him later, but she might have thought it was one of us outside the covers! They sleep in beds right beside each other and they are content to do that.

We are trying to give Layla some extra special attention still. I think it will help.

Poor Lucy probably thinks she's living in a zoo. She is so timid! She is such a sweet little girl though. She has been loving treats and has even given us a few little kisses on our fingers and faces! She has been through a lot in the past couple of months too, with being abandoned, having surgeries, losing all her teeth, going to a foster home, and then another new home. I know it's going to take her a little longer to really adjust.

I have taken a few more pictures so I will post them when I get them off my camera!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
I was worried about that too Janet. Layla and Kash still seem to be fighting over being alpha. Sometimes they're okay with each other, but when Kash gets obnoxious with the toys in front of her, she will start barking. He growled at her a couple of times when she'd get close to his face, and last night he nipped her on the neck. That's not okay with how fragile her neck is but Scott was right there and pulled him off immediately, and Layla stopped barking at him and hasn't barked at him since. Maybe she will back down and just let him be boss. He has never tried to hurt her, just wanted to put her in her place this time I think. He's never been pushy with either of them. Not long after that happened, we took Layla to the vet for a pee sample, and when we got home, Kash had peed on some plastic grocery bags that were sitting in the hall with extension cords in them. We know it was him because there was actually some pee IN the bags too. This is the first time he has marked in our house and I hope it's the last. He stopped marking in the foster mom's house as soon as he was neutered.

Layla and Kash were both okay to lay in bed with us last night. They were only maybe 6 inches apart, and they both fell asleep. Layla actually scurreid under the covers and was squished right up against him later, but she might have thought it was one of us outside the covers! They sleep in beds right beside each other and they are content to do that.

We are trying to give Layla some extra special attention still. I think it will help.

Poor Lucy probably thinks she's living in a zoo. She is so timid! She is such a sweet little girl though. She has been loving treats and has even given us a few little kisses on our fingers and faces! She has been through a lot in the past couple of months too, with being abandoned, having surgeries, losing all her teeth, going to a foster home, and then another new home. I know it's going to take her a little longer to really adjust.

I have taken a few more pictures so I will post them when I get them off my camera!
Max and Annie fight for alpha all the time! She is in charge of me, he is in charge of the food, but God help him if he takes her treats! (and he does). Layla and Kash will work it out. I'm sure you will make sure she isn't too stressed now that you know she has health issues. Is she still going to your Grandma's?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Yes, Layla still goes to my grandma's so she gets to relax and sleep alone all day!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I have two alphas too and they seem to work things out. I did train my bigger boy to wait while I feed the girls and that seems to work. What I can't train him to do is share his toys
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #14
Shada

I love the rescues! So very happy you took them both into your home! What cuties they all are! Hoping Layla will adjust having to two new sibling. Just watch them close.. I know you are.

I think Cash looks like a maltese too. I have a maltese so I am a little partial... and then my mom has her yorkie, so I love them too!!!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
DianaB

Jazzi wants to be the alpha dog but she's mean about it especiallly when they are going outside. We found out that if Reuger goes out first then she will respect him more. If she goes out first then she waits for Reuger and bites him all the way down the sidewalk. As far as the food goes there doesn't seem to be a problem.

I hope they all get things worked out and leave Layla alone. I bet that she'll enjoy the company of the others once she gets used to them.