4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Upholstering antique furniture

Well, this Christmas I'm a little short on money due to the mortgage and renovations. My parents told me not to get anything for them, but I already got my dad a pretty expensive gift a month ago, and I want to get my mom SOMETHING! So I was searching classifieds and came across something pretty cool... an antique rocking chair that has been completely refinished, except it's missing the seat. My mom loves antique furniture and it would look great in the cabin! For only $85 I think it's a pretty good buy, considering most of the others on the site are $150 or more. I'm just worried about how much work and money it would be to find leather and make a seat for it. It's just a small round hole in the middle of the existing seat. The original seat was leather stuffed with horse hair, and tacked to the chair. I want it to look as authentic as possible, without the horse hair! lol

Has anyone done a project like this before? I may go look at the chair tonight but I don't want to make a decision before I know how hard (or expensive) it might be to finish it.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

What a cool idea!! Here's a seat that I found in just a few seconds of reading your post so there's places out there that carry what you need. I'm sure that you can find instructions or figure out what you need to do to get it finished as well.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...6&cookietest=1

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I found that site as well Diana But when I searched for something in Canada I couldn't find anything. The price on that site is in American dollars so it would cost even more in Canadian, plus shipping up here could get expensive too. It would probably end up costing me closer to $200 for the chair after everything was all said and done. On top of that it's really hard to ship on a deadline from the USA because things can be held up at the border for days or weeks.

I found another nice looking chair that still has the original seat attached for $150. It hasn't been refinished so it still looks really old, and parts of the arm rests and seat are colored lighter from wear, but I think it looks nice too. It was posted in September with the stipulation "Must be gone by Friday" so I don't know if they ever got it sold by that Friday and just didn't take the ad down, or if they threw it out, or if it might still be kicking around! I emailed anyway in case it's still available.

Here's the first chair I liked without the cushion
chair1.jpeg

And here's the second older-looking chair
chair2.jpeg

Here's the cushion on the second chair
chair3.jpeg

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 11-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
DianaB

Here's one that's on E-bay. It's cheaper and says that you can make an offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/L-9012-LEATHER-R...item22fe9005ec

You still have shipping but you could probably save a little bit. No matter what you decide I'm sure that your Mom will love it!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks Diana! Hmmmm the fiber ones are so much cheaper. I wonder if they would look bad...

Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Darn, that seller doesn't offer international shipping

Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

How about using a beautiful upholstery instead of leather? Do you have the circle for the first chair to put the leather on? I have recovered several seats, and it is very easy. Those studs are beautiful. I have never used them. I use a staple gun. It's all in how you wrap the uphostery around the chair bottom so that it lays nicely on top.

It is a beautiful gift for your Mom! You are such a good daughter.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks Judy!
I asked about the seat and she has nothing from it. She said her dad started refinishing the chair 40 years ago and he never got around to working on the seat and I guess it's all been lost since then.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Okay so instead of going the route of trying to find a new seat for that chair, I came across an ad for an antique bentwood rocking chair and I bought it. It has caning on the seat and back. The ad said antique but I have to say I don't think it is. I asked if she knew how old the chair was and she said she wasn't sure. Then when we went to look at it she said "I don't have the receipt anymore" BUT it looks nice, it's comfortable, and I think it would go well in the cabin. Plus I think they look neat I hope my mom likes it!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Here's a picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.aspx.jpg (41.8 KB, 5 views)

Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I love bentwood rockers! Your mom will love it, too...especially when you give her grandbabies to rock in it, lol!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Lol Betsi... one of these days hopefully that'll happen

Old 11-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
DianaB

I used to have a bentwood rocker. They're from about 1970's to early 1980's. So it's old but not antique.

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I looked them up online and they actually started production in the early 1900's, but they should be carved or stamped or somehow marked with the year right under the seat. We checked and there was no marking so it must be newer.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

It's a beautiful chair and I'm sure your mom will love it - I know I would!!!