4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 01-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Would Appreciate Prayers for Mom

Yesterday (Tuesday) after 4 PM, my mother called me to say she was feeling like she was going to pass out. I told her I was on my way (15-20 minute drive) so I hung up, called my brother who lives less than 5 minutes away and told him about mom and that I was on my way.

She was very weak and we were going to take her to the ER when she passed out in my arms. I laid her out on the couch and was able to get her to tell me her chest was burning and that her left arm felt achy. My sister-in-law called 911 then and they took her to our county hospital.

She had a BM at the ER and it was mostly blood. Sorry so graphic. They decided to transfer her to a larger, better equiped hospital in a town nearby. She went by ambulance, and I drove over at about 10:30 last night. I stayed the night with her but didn't get any sleep, neither did she.

She was planning on going to Florida this Saturday as she does every year and is now more upset about not being able to go yet instead of her health...

Last night they think was just the start of a heart attack because she had lost so much blood, but today at the 2nd hospital, she had the attack.

They want to do a heart cath, but can't until they find the cause of the bleeding because they need to use blood thinners. And they want to do a colonoscopy to see if they can find the bleeding, but can't so soon after a heart attack. Drs. want to wait at least 4 weeks, but did say that if the bleeding does not stop, they will have to go in.

She's resting good this evening and I'm going to sleep in my own bed tonight and then hopefully tomorrow (snow storm coming) I will be able to get back over there tomorrow. Please pray for her..it would mean so much to me.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh my Janet, I am praying for her! You must be exhausted, and she as well. I will call you tomorrow, if I can get you.

I love you and I am sending you hugs and prayers.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Janet, I am so sorry this is happening to your mom! It sounds like she is getting good care though. Each condition (heart & bleeding) is complicating the other and that is tough, especially at her age! I will be sending healing thoughts and rays of sunshine light to you and your mom. Keep us posted, I was so worried when I saw your post on FB.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I prayed for your mom and you, Janet. I'm sure the doctors will figure out what to do. Your mom may just be focused on going to Florida because it's easier to think about than her failing health. Spend all of the time you can with her, but don't forget to take care of yourself.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I am so sorry Janet, I am also praying for your mom. I was worried when I saw your status on Facebook last night.

HUGS!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I'm hoping that her health is more under control today, Janet. I am with you in spirit, my dear friend.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

How's your Mom doing today? At least you know that she's getting good care at a larger facility. I know that it's not as handy for you but I'm sure that it's better care for her. You know that I'm praying for you AND your Mom!!! AND I can be there as soon as I can get a flight if you need me there!!!

I feel so bad that I didn't call you back when I first noticed you'd called. I was just thinking that I'd have more time to talk today than I did yesterday. I didn't think about it being an emergency. I'm so sorry.

You know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. A big hug for you

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
lynne b

Send a message via Yahoo to lynne b
Janet, I do hope your mom is doing better today and they can get the bleeding under control so they can deal with her heart.
I hope you were able to get to the hospital today, the snow was awful this morning and now they are calling for wind on top of it. If you are out please be careful.
Like i told you last night if you need to talk please call, i will get back with you, if we get the wind tonight i probably won't go to work so call anytime.
I'm praying for you and your mom to be safe and get well.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
DIANE W

Janet

Take care of yourself, and i am thinking about and praying for your mum, you and all the family.
I hope she continues to get stronger, and keeps cheerful. I know how it is taking care of someone, and being there for them, it is emotionally and physically draining, but you will get the strength to do what is required from you.

I will be thinking of you.

Diane

My Mottos are....
Just live for today..... and let tomorrow take care of itself

Live each day as if it's your last - and hope that tomorrow you wake up to find that it wasn't
DIANE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
The cardiac nurse called today to discuss another option for Mom. My brothes were there with her which made me angry because neither called to see if I would like to go with them. They know it's harder for me to get out in my van on these snowy county roads. Anyway........

They said they could do the heart cath just to see what damage was done from the heart attack, but they would have to use a dye. This dye could ruin dialysis for her as she knows it. Right now she is on peritoneal dialsys through her stomach. This dye could cause her kidneys to worsen quickly and make her have to start hemo dialysis. With the paritoneal she does it at home while she sleeps. If she were to do hemo, she could possibly do it at home, but someone would have to be with her, OR she would have to go to Wellbound (her dialysis center) and have it done 3 days a week and it takes 5-8 hours. Mom does not want to do this.

We all come to the decision to wait just a few days and not rush into it. Ultimately, I told Mom I would support whatever decision she made because after all...it's her life and she is very capable of making the decision.

Thank you all so much, you'll never know just how much I appreciate and love you.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Wow, what a decision!! I'm glad that you're waiting a few days before deciding. After what she's already gone through with dialysis it would be hard to change that to something that's harder to do and more inconvenient. Hopefully another answer will come up soon. Hugs!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Janet, first of all I'm sorry your brothers didn't come to get you. Shame on them!

A heart cath shows blockage in the arteries taking blood to the heart. They punch a hole in her groin, put a line up to her heart, put in the dye, then look at any blockage there may be. The dye then has to be filtered back out through her kidneys, which you know.

An echocardiogram is used to see if there is damage to the heart muscle itself after a heart attack. It's just like a sonogram. They put goo on your chest and run a doppler wand around on your skin. That's all there is to it.

You may know all of these things already...I'm just trying to help I love you and I'm so glad your mom can make her own decisions so you don't have to!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
paula1961

Janet, I am so sorry about your mom! I so hope she is doing better today. I am sending prayers your way for you and your Mom!!!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Janet, there is some medicine they can give you before the dye (heart cath) to protect the kidneys. It's called Mucinex or something like that (not the stuff you take for a cold. LOL!). Gary has the same problem as your mom, his kidneys are so bad he can't take dye, unless it is absolutely necessary. He takes the Mucinex the day before the dye study to protect his kidneys - I wonder if they could do that for your mom. Of course, her kidneys may be too bad and maybe even the Mucinex won't help. But you might ask.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #15
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

It's called Mucomyst. Mike just had some, too. He had to drink it and it smells and tastes like rotten eggs I heard it does come in pill form, too.