4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

The Drought Prevails

We were with some friends last night, and everyone is feeling tired and depressed. We think it's partially due to the heat and drought. You put day to day life issues on top of the weather situation, and it's just depressing. Here are some recent articles showing what is happening around here. In case you're interested. Lakes at low levels, and fires popping up almost daily.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...jackson-county

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...&police-courts

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...&police-courts
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I'm sure that the heat and drought is getting to everyone. I sure wish that you would get a break in the weather.

I really feel sorry for the farmers and ranchers who rely on the rain for a living. We had a year once where it wasn't even worth getting the combine out. Be thankful that your income isn't dependent on the weather. Count your blessings!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I know how depressing it can be Marilyn. The heat can sure take a toll on everything. I do hope that there is a break in the weather and you all get the much need rain.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Marilyn

We did get some rain yesterday, just a shower or two, but much, much appreciated!!!!

AND.....It's supposed to stormy several days next week!!!! Hate to get too excited. We've been told we'd get rain before, and it didn't happen, but at least it looks promising.

We had a strange thing happen last week. Due to the dryness and heat, we've been having some whirlwinds. I actually drove through one on the highway a couple of weeks ago, well, anyway. What I wanted to tell you is that our patio furniture has an umbrella in the larger table. We have been leaving it open since there haven't been any storms. Something, probably a whirlwind came by last week and pulled the umbrella out of the table and dropped it on the patio. 4 of the supports were broken. Strangest thing!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #5
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Marilyn, I sure hope that you get some of the rain!! I know how desperately you're needing it!!

Up here we have those "whirlwinds" only we call them dust devils. They're caused by the hot and dry weather. Glen and I watched one go across several fields just the other day. You must have had a pretty good sized one for it to have picked up your umbrella from the stand on your table!!! Too bad that it ruined your umbrella.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:47 AM   #6
Marilyn

Drought could be a Record Setter

We were supposed to have thunderstorms yesterday, but no rain yet. Here's the latest: http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...ews&local-news

Never thought we'd be fighting over water. Doubt that we'll die of thirst though, and this too will end. When we did get a little rain a couple of months ago, I heard some folks complaining about having to mow their lawns. Go figure!!

Also, the kids checked and Sams has a pretty good deal on a new umbrella. So guess we'll have to get over there and check it out.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It has rained almost every day up here. I wish we could share it with you!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:42 AM   #8
Marilyn

Oh, wow, Judy. Wish you could share, too. Still no rain. They keep teasing us that thunderstorms are in the forecast, but they don't materialize. It was over 100 yesterday. Any grass that is not watered is brown and crispy if there's even anything there anymore.

They've been mowing the highway right of ways just to knock down the tall skinny grasses and weeds that did grow from the little rain we received, and the dust stirred up by the mowers makes such a cloud. I hate driving through them.

The farmers are harvesting what they can of the crops that were planted at just the right time to benefit from the little bit of rain. The harvest is way down, but they are getting what the can out of it. I think some of the soybeans faired the best from what I'm hearing. Corn was not good at all.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #9
Tiramisu

Marilyn, I was watching the radar, hoping you'd get some rain last night. We got 1/4" yesterday! My sister lives 200 miles east (in Louisiana) and she's had rain almost every day for over a week.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:47 AM   #10
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
We've had rain here in Indiana. I wish I could send some your way. Right now at 8:45 a.m., it's foggy, 66 degrees and very moist out. It lightly rained here, but southern Indiana got some good rain.

The Frankfort Hotdog Festival is this weekend and it shows rain. Usually it's so hot and humid you can't stand to go.

I'm really missing the sunshine.