4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > The Positive Forum!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Layla...

She is amazing me and her vet with every day that passes!

Layla now stands on her own about 75% of the time she's eating or drinking. It just started this past weekend. She went to her water bowl, put her head down, and as her started drinking, her legs came under her, pushed up, and she held the standing position for about 20 seconds Sometimes her legs are crossed, her paws are knuckled, but she is standing, all by herself

We've made the difficult decision to really cut back on her rehab and acupuncture. We just can't afford it anymore. We take her twice a week now, and I think we will cut back to once or twice a month. Her vet says we're doing an amazing job at home anyway and she can't believe how much she is still improving. But we really aren't doing a whole lot at home other than some massage or helping her stand as we're sitting there watching tv or something. We play with her a lot more and have her run around and play fetch. She even freely scoots herself across the hardwood between the kitchen and living room now!

I just wanted to share how well she is doing with you guys I'm trying to get a video of her standing to show all of you and everyone who has supported us and followed our story so closely on YT. I don't know how I could have gotten through this without all of you!

Here she is two nights ago after I attempted to give her a snazzy new short haircut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (74.1 KB, 14 views)

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Such great news Lindsey!!!! You two are doing such a great job with Layla and it's so obvious how much you love her.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I still think Layla may walk! Way to go Layla!!! And you too Lindsay. You have done such a great job with her!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

She is such an inspiration! So are you and Scott! Her haircut is really cute!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks She is getting so much stronger. Last night we were watching a movie and Layla was licking my hand and her tail was wagging for about 10 seconds straight I know that there's no way to tell if it's reflex or brain controlled but in my heart I believe she's wagging because she's happy.

I feel like we've become so close since this happened and I don't know if I really "knew" her before like I know her now. I always loved her but now we have more of an understanding of each other, which might sound silly when it's a dog and a human.

Yesterday we were making a list to go into the city to buy groceries and we didn't even have jackets or shoes on, and Layla just KNEW, and she zoomed to the garage door and ran staight into her carrier so we'd take her with us! It broke my heart and I had to fight to pull her out of the carrier. When we got home she was waiting by the door. I've said it before but I am so thankful to have hopeful vets and others in my life who told me she could still be happy without use of her back legs. It took awhile to see it but I know more than 100% that we made the right decision.

I know that one of these days, she is going to walk again. But I'm not hoping and praying for it like I was before. I have confidence that it will probably happen, but I'm happy either way, because I know Layla is happy either way

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I am trying so hard not to cry right now.

Layla's vet just called to update me on today's rehab. She started out by saying Layla did something new for her today. They were doing her exercise ball stretches, and a vet tech walked in and Layla wagged her tail. She has done random tail wags before though. The vet asked her to leave and come back. She came back and Layla wagged again. This is the first time she was obviously wagging in response to something! I am so overjoyed and I don't feel like I can contain it! I am fighting back tears of happiness!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

How wonderful!!! I'm so happy to hear that Layla's doing so well!!! I know that you want to cry for happiness because of all that she's gone through!!!! Give her a little hug from me and I can't wait to see a video of how she's doing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Lindsay! YOU WERE RIGHT! She is wagging her tail out of happiness, it is not JUST a reflex - her brain is happy and is sending signals all the way to her TAIL!

This progress is just so thrilling! I'm about to cry with you! I wish I were there to see her!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Hurray for Layla!! She's doing so well because you have taken such good care of her! Of course she's wagging her tail....She's the most loved dog in the world!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
Shada

I don't post as often as I should, but have kept up on Layla's progress.

I am so darn happy for you and Layla!!! You didn't give up, kept fighting for Layla... and look how far you've come!!!! How far Layla has come!

I pray Layla continues to make progress. Exciting news!!!
Shada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #11
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Isn't life something? This is one of those time when you can just believe in miracles! Layla is such a little love! She is a miracle whether she walks or not!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks everyone Layla is a little miracle and it was no coincidence that she came into my life! We belong together

Old 10-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Lindsay! Now I'm going to cry!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
paula1961

Awww Lindsey....... I am so happy to hear that Layla is doing so well!! She has been such an inspiration to us! I think about you often and pray for her, you and Scott. I just love reading such good news about her.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Lindsey now your going to make me cry. Layla is just the cutest little dog with the best owner. So glad to hear you never lost hope on her back legs.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote