4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Entertainment & Shopping

Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

E-Reader

I am in the process of buying an e-reader. I am tossing between the Amazon Kindle WI-FI and the B& N nook Color. I know a few of you own an Ipad, but at the moment I am not intersted in buying one. I do a lot of reading and I am gravitating toward the Kindle. I was in Best Buy earlier and the salesperson said that the Amazon Kindle is the most popular seller. Does anyone own either one ? if so let me know what you like about yours..
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

My daughter has a Kindle and she loves it. I have the Kindle reader on my iPad and I like the app alot. I think Kindle has been around the longest, and so it probably has most of the bugs worked out. I don't know too much more than that though.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Our daughter, Melissa, has a Kindle and loves it!! It is the only one with a liquid display that looks like print on paper and doesn't emit light, so it's much easier on your eyes, especially if you read a lot. It's not in color, but if you want it purely for reading, that should be fine.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I just bought the Kindle. I have an IPad, but you really cannot read in the bright sunlight. I also am not comfortable bringing such an expensive item to the pool. The Kindle is down to $114 on Amazon. With tax, etc., it came to $123, which is quite a good price.

I didn't look at any of the other brands. Everyone I know who has a Kindle, is a very happy with it, so I figured, why stress about it, especially at such a good price.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #5
Gina

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
I just bought the Kindle. I have an IPad, but you really cannot read in the bright sunlight. I also am not comfortable bringing such an expensive item to the pool. The Kindle is down to $114 on Amazon. With tax, etc., it came to $123, which is quite a good price.

I didn't look at any of the other brands. Everyone I know who has a Kindle, is a very happy with it, so I figured, why stress about it, especially at such a good price.

Thanks for input ladies.. Judy I just ordered the Kindle Wi-Fi I brought the $139 plus free shipping from Amazon , I was going to buy the kindle you brought for $114 but was told that you get pop ups from different sponsors.

Judy did you get yours yet? if so is it user friendly? I hear that you can download free books also. A friend of mine told me to buy the Marware book cover she has the kindle also and said that she had brought the kindle cover but was having problems with the device.. Strange...
Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
Thanks for input ladies.. Judy I just ordered the Kindle Wi-Fi I brought the $139 plus free shipping from Amazon , I was going to buy the kindle you brought for $114 but was told that you get pop ups from different sponsors.

Judy did you get yours yet? if so is it user friendly? I hear that you can download free books also. A friend of mine told me to buy the Marware book cover she has the kindle also and said that she had brought the kindle cover but was having problems with the device.. Strange...

Darn! I would have bought the $139 Kindle! I haven't done anything but plug it in. I might explore it today. I'll let you know. I have to check on the Marware cover too because it doesn't come with one. Why doesn't your friend return hers? They will exchange it for her, hopefully. This is why I bought it from Amazon., They usually stand behind their stuff.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Gina

Quote:
Darn! I would have bought the $139 Kindle! I haven't done anything but plug it in. I might explore it today. I'll let you know. I have to check on the Marware cover too because it doesn't come with one. Why doesn't your friend return hers? They will exchange it for her, hopefully. This is why I bought it from Amazon., They usually stand behind their stuff.
Return it if its not to much trouble and get the $139 with the free shipping but you have to act fast for I don't how long the free shipping is going to be for. I think it will be annoying with the sponsor pop ups.. let me know. I saw the Marware cover on ebay for 22.95 but its in purple and it opens up on top instead of the side. I may buy it.. I will be getting the Kindle into about 10-15 days . I can't wait... lol My friend did return the Kindle bookcover .
Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

I just got the one with WiFi for my DIL, Rachel. She bought the cover with a built in light so she can read in bed at night. She loves it! I use Kindle on my iPhone all of the time!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #9
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I set it up, and I love it! It's so light and easy to read!

I ordered a nice cover on eBay; not expensive, and it looks like it will do the trick.

The ads are not at all annoying. They are on the screensaver, but don't pop up when you use the Kindle.

It's really nice to read from the screen, and you can make the font as large as you want so you don't have to wear glasses.

Enjoy yours!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Gina

Quote:
I set it up, and I love it! It's so light and easy to read!

I ordered a nice cover on eBay; not expensive, and it looks like it will do the trick.

The ads are not at all annoying. They are on the screensaver, but don't pop up when you use the Kindle.

It's really nice to read from the screen, and you can make the font as large as you want so you don't have to wear glasses.

Enjoy yours!!!
Thanks sounds good to me!! I can't wait to get mine.. Enjoy!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
Gina

@ Judy I finally received my Kindle last week but I am having a hard time navagating around. I am not to savvy with technology lol . How do you order books from Amazon online or can it be done on the kindle? Any input would be great ...
Old 06-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

On your computer, go to Amazon.com, then type in Kindle store books. Set up an account with Amazon if you don't have one. Choose your book, go to checkout, and it will appear on your Kindle!

You can also order a sample of any book for free, which will appear on your Kindle. You can read the sample, see if you like it, and then order the book right from your Kindle.

To order from the Kindle, set up a connection with the internet. I have a router, which has a password, and it was really easy to set up. Make sure wireless is on. Go to Home, then push Menu. Both buttons asre onm the kindle's right. You can turn on the wireless connection there, and can also go to Kindle Store from there.

You get around using the up, down, right and left bars on the little box under Menu. When you get to where you want to go, it will be underlined. Click the middle of that box and you will go there.

I have a User's Guide, but I don't remember where I got it. Pretty sure it was already there.

Wherever you are on the Kindle, push menu and see what you can do from there.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Gina

Quote:
On your computer, go to Amazon.com, then type in Kindle store books. Set up an account with Amazon if you don't have one. Choose your book, go to checkout, and it will appear on your Kindle!

You can also order a sample of any book for free, which will appear on your Kindle. You can read the sample, see if you like it, and then order the book right from your Kindle.

To order from the Kindle, set up a connection with the internet. I have a router, which has a password, and it was really easy to set up. Make sure wireless is on. Go to Home, then push Menu. Both buttons asre onm the kindle's right. You can turn on the wireless connection there, and can also go to Kindle Store from there.

You get around using the up, down, right and left bars on the little box under Menu. When you get to where you want to go, it will be underlined. Click the middle of that box and you will go there.

I have a User's Guide, but I don't remember where I got it. Pretty sure it was already there.

Wherever you are on the Kindle, push menu and see what you can do from there.

Thanks Judy I do have an amazon account.. I have a user book it came with I guess I just have to get familar with the unit...
Old 06-27-2011, 05:04 AM   #14
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I have the user guide on the kindle.. It's really easy to use. I don't bother with underlining, clippings, etc. I don't even know what they are talking about!

I think the whole thing is learning to use that little square with the arrows, which is small and can be difficult to maneuver. Using the menu in different locations has to be played with to learn what to do too.

I am more comfortable with my pc, and I order my books from there.

Enjoy!!!