4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > My Pictures & Videos!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Christmas presents

Gary always works really hard to give me something for Christmas that I will like. I would just as soon give presents to everyone else, rather than get presents, but I do appreciate how hard he tries to surprise me.

Here are some pictures of three of the things he got me this Christmas. They are pretty unique! As some of you know, we collect New Mexico Indian Pueblo pottery.

The first is a Zuni pot - with frogs. There is the frog in the bottom of the bowl and then two little ones on two of the sides. The frog on the bottom has his head raised up - it's kinda hard to see.

The second is a little blurry and hard to see, but it is a mudhead pot. He is a clown who plays games and tricks at Hopi ceremonies

The last pictures are of the beautiful necklace that Gary gave me. It is a story teller necklace. Each little figure is holding a child and it represents the passing along of history and culture. I've also included a classic story teller pot - rather than a necklace. Neither Gary or I have ever seen a story teller necklace. Since it is pottery (breakable) I probably won't wear it much as a necklace, but I will put it in my display case.

1. Zuni frog pot
2. story teller necklace
3. see the child in each story teller's lap
4. classic story teller pot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0935.jpg (121.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0940.jpg (99.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0945.jpg (86.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0688.jpg (43.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

The classic story teller pot above - the lady with several children in her arms and lap - is from the Cochiti Pueblo in New Mexico. This is the Pueblo where the story teller pottery originated. It is a classic style and is very recognizable as Cochiti style.

Here are some more pictures.

1. another view of the frog pot
2. the display shelf with the new frog pot - see the duck pot in the middle and the bird pot on the left. Oh, there's a little snake in front of the duck and bird and there are two quail in the left back corner.
3. mudhead pot I got for Christmas
4. top shelf of my display case - sorry the light is glaring. The pot left of the book is a rain maker pot, pretty rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0936.jpg (112.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0937.jpg (108.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0689.jpg (39.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0690.jpg (47.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by gja1000; 01-04-2010 at 06:50 PM.
gja1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Just a couple more pix

My display case with Alaskan ivory (fossilized mammoth and walrus ivory) (top shelf)
Middle shelf is the animal pots
bottom shelf is the kachinas

Picture 2 is just another view of the traditional story tell pot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0946.jpg (150.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0687.jpg (50.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

LOL! I realize I SAID I was going to post the mudhead pot in the first post - but I didn't post him till the second post. Hope I didn't confuse anyone! My Christmas presents were the frog pot, the mudhead pot and the story teller necklace. I just posted the other pots for fun!

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

It wasn't confusing! Your pottery is gorgeous!! I love the way you have it displayed. Thanks for taking pictures and explaining it. It's very interesting!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Great pictures Gayle! It's so nice that Gary tries so hard to make you happy My favorite is the necklace!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I love the way you set up the display case! It's like a museum, filled with such interesting things!

The storyteller necklace is amazing. It is so beautifully made! What is the meaning of the necklace, or of the storyteller dolls?

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

What a unique collection!! Gary is so sweet to find things that you'll really like!!! He did a good job getting your gifts this year!!! I love the necklace too!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

In the Indian culture, there is much emphasis on the tribal elders passing along history, family information, cultural facts, and other bits of wisdom. The storyteller figure is to represent the tribal elder (it's always a women in the figures) passing along this information. She is always talking to children to represent that this starts at an early age.

Of course, it could also be interpreted to mean that a mom or grandmom is simply telling interesting stories to her children/grandchildren to keep them entertained.

I have had the story teller pot for some time now - but neither of us had seen a story teller necklace. I am wearing the necklace today - but like I said, I won't wear it much, I'll put it in my display case because it is too fragile for heavy wear. I don't mean that the figures on the necklace are fragile, but since they are clay, they can't get wet and if I should bump them against something hard, they could break - or if the clasp broke and they fell to the tile/wood/concrete floor, some would probably break.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I don't blame you. Best to enjoy looking at it.

Oral history is a great tradition. My father wrote stories, mostly about his experiences in WWII. As he got older, I asked him to write about his family.
He did write several stories, and they are wonderful. My Aunt is the last person to tell me the old stories now, and that is sad. The family stories are so wonderful.

Maybe I should write what I know about. A couple of women in my writers' group are doing that, and we love to hear their stories.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
The family stories are so wonderful.

Maybe I should write what I know about. A couple of women in my writers' group are doing that, and we love to hear their stories.

OMG! YES! Judy, you should absolutely write the family stories or any others that are interesting.

My uncle also wrote about WWII and the stories are fascinating! I learned things about the family I did not know!

Gary's granddad taped recorded stories about growing up in the teens, 20's and 30's - the tapes are absolutely fascinating! There's one story about getting a model T across a river with no bridge. Yhey tied logs onto the car - floated it across the river, then took the engine apart to dry out, put it back together and went on their way
Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's so neat that you have stories from your Dads. I have a few and my Dad told many stories at the end of his life but he was a habitual liar (and also schizophrenic) so it became hard to tell what was the truth and what wasn't. The earlier stories were a lot more believable than the later ones. It's very sad.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
paula1961

Oh my goodness Gayle, your things are gorgeous! I too love that necklace! Such great detail! Gary done a heck of a good job!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
You have a very sweet husband Gayle. I've never really collected anything, but your's is a very nice collection.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
pope1982

So gorgeous, thanks for sharing Gayle, wow.

My grandpa was Cherokee
pope1982 is offline   Reply With Quote