4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Career

Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Faced my fears to get what I want

So today, I did what I have been scared to do for months. I asked for a raise. I am a drafter for a geotechnical engineering firm. The company has 6 offices in two provinces. In my office, there are two drafters. My "supervisor" is an unprofessional, weird, kind of perverted man who doesn't do more than a half hour of real work in a day, between smoke breaks, talking on the phone, and walking around the office talking to everyone. I've been there for 10 months now, and in July we started keeping track of the projects we're working on, and who is doing the work. Since July, I have started and finished 60+ projects. He has done 3. In the past two months, every single other drafter in the company has quit. I am now handling all the drafting requests for 6 offices! After not getting my promised 6 month salary review, I decided it was time to speak up.
I sent my boss an email at lunch time, explaining that I have progressed my skills enormously since I started working there, from not even knowing how to run a program to being the most proficient at it. I do the majority of the work for everyone and I've had great feedback and I don't miss deadlines. I said I would like to see my salary match my work, and I'd like a 10% raise (actually less than I really wanted)
I didn't think he was even going to mention it to me. But as I was walking out the door to go home at 5, he called me into his office and told me to close the door. He told me I have "worked miracles" for the company, and that the 6 month reviews rarely happen (although, it's on my signed offer of employment and it was a big reason for me choosing this company), but he wants to sit down and talk with me on Thursday afternoon or Friday so we can work out something that works for both of us.
I'm just proud of myself for getting over my fear and actually saying something!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
katepoet

Congratulations, Lindsey! That was huge!! Wow! I am impressed.

When one company didn't want to pay the rate I wanted this year, we negotiated another rate increase in 6 months time. You may want to have a couple of ideas like that so you can eventually get the pay you want.
katepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:46 AM   #3
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

WTG Lindsey!! Proud of you
Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 AM   #4
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Congratulations!!!!! Keep us posted on the results. It's hard to stand up sometimes. Way to go, girl!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Congratulations!!!! Good luck!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

Wishing you luck!!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
Best of luck to you.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Congratulations Lindsey!!! The only way we are going to get what we want is to actually ask for it. Good for you!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Good for you, Lindsey, for speaking out. I hope that you get everything that you're asking for.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

I hope the end of the week goes well for you when you two are able to sit and talk.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #11
Tink

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Thumbs up

Well done Lindsey!
I'm so proud of you for having the strength to ask for what's obviously due you!
If the others have all quit, you should be able to get a significant raise just from what they're saving on their pay!

You might also want to keep in mind that a raise can come in many forms... improved benefits or time off with pay would be rather nice too!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Thanks everyone! I'm a little nervous about tomorrow, but there's another thing I really need to talk to my boss about and I think this might be a good opportunity. I think it's unfair that I'm doing way more than my fair share of work just because the other drafter is lazy. I call myself the only drafter now because he never does anything. I really want to mention to my boss that I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed with my workload and I would appreciate some help from someone else or even to have someone to turn to so I can ask questions about my work instead of feeling so stressed out alone. They way my supervisor ("the other drafter") yells and swears in the office and talks about my co-workers and makes sexist comments really really bothers me. I'm not sure how much of that I can bring up though. For sure I think I should mention the unfair workload, and maybe even tell him to take a look for himself in the drafting book I've been keeping for record. My 60+ projects compared to my supervisor's 3.
On the plus side, one of our biggest engineers in the main office called me today for some work. He greeted me with, "Lindsey! Clifton's new senior draftsperson in Saskatchewan!" wow! My supervisor is more "senior" than me, but I think everyone in the whole company knows he doesn't do work. So, "senior draftsperson" for the whole province really isn't bad for just graduating 11 months ago

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #13
katepoet

That's wonderful, Lindsey. Glad you are being appreciated.

Tomorrow don't use words like "unfair" or "overworked" or you might not get that raise. Find a positive way to say what you need. "I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know that the workload has been constantly increasing and that it will soon be beyond my ability to keep up with it. I am already working X hours a day (or completing X projects a week) and don't see how I can squeeze anymore into my day. What are your plans to cover the workload?"

good luck!
katepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #14
Marilyn

Oh, just had to comment. As a manager, I would not want anyone to use the term "beyond my ability". May I suggest you say that the workload has increased significantly, and it is "becoming more difficult" to complete all the tasks required.

Just a thought. Whatever you say, it must come naturally and be from the heart. Most managers appreciate sincerity, honesty and candor when coming from a loyal, dedicated performer.

Wish you the very best!!!!!
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 AM   #15
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I'm with Marilyn on this one. One other thing, when you talk down about another employee, do it with class, not with a slamming demeanor.