4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Parenting & Family

Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh no!

I knew it was coming, but I heard the words that Grandmothers don't want to hear!

Jessie took Brandon and Kassidy down to Brandon's old pediatrician in Staten Island. He just has not been feeling well for a while, gets very painful rashes, stomach aches, his legs hurt, and so on. Medical care is not so great up here.

I called Mackenzie at about 4:30 today. She can't miss school, and stayed home with Steve. I asked her if she was lonesome and should I come over? She said "No." She told me that she was just fine, and I know she is.

But she said "No!" She has never said no to me coming over to visit her! They all reach an age where this is natural. I do not like it!!!

I think next time, I just won't ask her. I'll just go!!!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Oh Judy! I feel your pain! My sweet granddaughter just turned 14 and she just isn't the same sweet little girl I held, rocked and enjoyed for all those years. It started about age 12, she only wanted to come over about 1/2 the amount of time she used to come over. Then at 13, it dropped to about 1/4 of the time. Now she rarely has time to come visit - and sometimes when I go over there, I don't even see her - she's gone with friends. It is so different and it feels so weird.

I'll tell you what I'm doing right now, I'm staring at a little note she left me. I have a hutch on my computer desk and she was over here a few weeks ago - surfing on my computer of course, LOL - and she used a marker to write on this little stickie note, "I (heart) my Mimi, Luv Abi" She taped it to my computer hutch so it is about eye level.

I'm telling you I would not take that note down for any amount of money. I look at it every time I'm sitting at my computer and I understand that message is how she really feels, even though "Mimi" has had to take a backseat to volleyball, boys , girlfriends, football games, etc etc. She and I have a very good relationship, and I understand she is being a normal teenager, but it feels so weird to not be the center of her world, as I was for about 12 years!

So Judy, I feel your pain!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I can understand too. The only grandchildren that I seem to see much of are Dae Lynn's little ones, Karlie and Dean. The others are so busy with sports, school, and homework. They don't need a sitter anymore so I don't even see them when Mom and Dad are busy.

I have some notes too that the girls have left when they're here and like you, Gayle, I don't take them down. I love looking at them.
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I'm not a grandma yet but I need to send you lot's of XOXO your way.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
paula1961

I also know how you feel Judy! My Lexi is 13 and into sports, boys friends and the other "non related to Nana stuff". It hurts but that is just how it is. Oh how I miss that little girl.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Our grandkids do outgrow us, but eventually they come back around. Of course it's not like when they were little. Or sometimes they move away and RIP YOUR HEART OUT!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I'm so happy to not be a grandma right now. I am sending hugs to all of you that are and feeling a little bit 'left'. I know I missed my nieces after they started getting older, but now we are close again....so it's fun as adults.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyes View Post
Our grandkids do outgrow us, but eventually they come back around. Of course it's not like when they were little. Or sometimes they move away and RIP YOUR HEART OUT!!!!!!
Mine will probably be moving to Houston soon, but that is nothing like yours Betsi.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
Mine will probably be moving to Houston soon, but that is nothing like yours Betsi.
If you need me to spy on them just let me know
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Aww I'm sorry Judy! I don't think I ever got that way with my grandparents, but I also never lived close to them so any visiting was a treat at any age!

Gayle, that note is so sweet!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
If you need me to spy on them just let me know
THANKS!!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I would shellac that note Gayle! Actually, Mackenzie called me on Saturday, but we couldn't really talk...cell phone noises. We really didn't have much to discuss anyway. All of the kids are not good on the phone.

You know what Betsi...I am not going to complain. At least she lives close by. My heart goes out to you!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Betsi.....come on over and I'll share all of my grandchildren with you!!!! Hugs!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
Gina
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
I would shellac that note Gayle! Actually, Mackenzie called me on Saturday, but we couldn't really talk...cell phone noises. We really didn't have much to discuss anyway. All of the kids are not good on the phone.

You know what Betsi...I am not going to complain. At least she lives close by. My heart goes out to you!

Judy you need to learn how to text.. all the kids of today and adults too just don't speak anymore its TEXT TEXT TEXT!!! uggh the new generation.

Ladies I am not a grandma yet but I can feel your pain... hugs to you all...
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:07 AM   #15
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

We used to chat on fb, but she isn't on that much, and i don't really want to sit and chat on fb.

Saw her Sunday - she was as sweet and cuddly as ever! 13 year olds go back and forth from mature to babyish in a heartbeat. She is such a great person.
The little one, Kassidy, came home from a birthday party, kissed me and hugged me, and then ran down the block to play with her friends. She made sure to say goodbye before she left though. She is so amazing! Brandon stayed home and played video games. I sat with him for a few minutes to keep him company.

I gave him my Dad's WWII hat, and a copy of a picture of my Dad wearing the hat and uniform. He was thrilled! He thinks my Father won WWII and killed Hitler on his own! He wears it all the time now, and calls himself "Mack," my Dad's name when he plays whatever it is little boys play.

He showed interest in knowing about my Dad, and I realized it is time to take out the albums and start looking at my family history with the kids. It is so important that they know their roots, and pictures are wonderful. My mother set up some fantastic albums. She took some apart to redo them, and then got very sick and never got to them. I'll figure them out. I also have tons of albums from when Jessie was little.

Actually, I have a lot of memorabilia of WWII from my Dad. There is a man around here who can assess their worth. If they are worth a lot, I may sell some. It would have to be a really large sum because to get rid of them just for money doesn't make sense to me. This is my history, my Dad's history, and the kids should get them. I also want to get in touch with the Holocaust Museum in NYC to see what they might want to do with some of this stuff. My Dad donated a Nazi flag that he took down from Berteshgarden (sp?) to a Holocaust Museum in Texas. He was the first American soldier to pull down a swastika flag, but the photo op credit went to a general.