4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > Arts & Crafts

Old 06-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

knitting

My 31 year old daughter announced a couple of weeks ago that she was going to take knitting lessons - could have knocked me over with a feather!

She did and now is madly knitting scarves - I'm sure we will all have one for Christmas

She will go back to class soon and learn some new stitches and start learning how to follow a pattern.

I've never wanted to know how to knit - but would like to know how to crochet. I've just never taken the time to learn.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

It's a big thing now among young women. We had a knitting club at the school I worked in. There are such interesting yarns out now.

I'm with you though, Gina. I never did like knitting. Crocheting is nice, but for the life of me, I can't think of one thing anybody would want if I took it up. Embroidery and needlepoint are also nice. Very relaxing. Not that I do it anymore. I don't have the patience.

Actually, needlepoint is a very good thing to do when going through a divorce. Poking that needle in and out, in and out, is very cathartic!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I think that it's great that your daughter is taking up knitting!!! I love to see people interested in crafts and stuff. You'll probably get some wonderful gifts from her too!! How cool!!!

I've knitted and crocheted a little, not much. Counted cross-stitch was what I really got into. I have many pictures hanging on the walls that I made. I have a pattern set out to made a wedding picture for Dae Lynn and Damon but I just can't seem to pick it up and get it done.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I can crochet a bit, but I've never knitted. I'd love to learn though. You'll have to post photos of one of her finished products!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I have never learned to crochet but my grandma taught me how to knit when I was younger. Not sure if I could still do it though! A few girls at my office have started a "stitch'n'b*tch" group where they meet up to knit together, but I haven't gotten into that either. When I was about 10 years old I started up cross-stitching and did that for quite a few years. I loved it but just didn't have time for it anymore when I turned 15 and was playing sports and working and dating! Actually just last weekend I was thinking about it again after seeing the beautiful framed "Footprints" cross-stitch my friend did for the minister at their wedding.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
My mother can do both, but prefers crocheting. I'm not really interested. I do like crafts...and have done quite a bit of the plastic canvas stuff, but just haven't had time for much of anything as far as crafts go. I would really like to sew some more doggie clothes, but it's just getting started that I'm having trouble with.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
2tiredmom

Oh how I LOVE to KNIT. I have made tote bags and have sold them to some girls where I work. I had a friend from work that wanted a hat made. So I made her a hat for her teenage daughter for Christmas. I have made lots of baby blankets crochet. I just can't sit down with out having something else to do besides watch tv. I have a facebook page called BIT BY BIT KNIT. It has pictures of a few of the bags I have done.
Everyone has a talent of some sort. I just like to knit.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I'm quite embarrassed to say this but I didn't even know knitting and crochet were two different things But I'm clueless in all the arts and craft department.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Janet

I have books that teach knitting and crocheting that I got from Mom. She didn't really need them, but used them as a refresher. I love all the crocheted doilies Mom made and I have a drawer full of them, small ones and some are quite large. Even dresser runners. They are beautiful. I have a few out now, but once I get the house totally cleaned I want to put even more out.

Sometime, I hope to get the books out and see if I can teach myself. I don't know of any classes being taught, but will keep my eyes and ears open. That would be fun.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

My dil taught me how to knit a scarf. I've been working on it for one year I'm gonna finish that stupid scarf one of these days!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I've done a little bit of both knitting and crocheting but I found out that I really liked cross-stitching. I haven't done much of it since I'm on the computer now. I also have done some scrapbooking but with the kids here I've given up getting any of that done.

I'm planning on getting some pictures framed and hung up. That's my craft for this month!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
Janet

Diana..I know you use to have a cricut machine, didn't you like it? I'm still thinking one might be nice. Meijer had them for $149.00. I'm just afraid I won't keep interested in it. With learning knitting and crocheting, I'm really no out any money if I decide I don't care for it because I have all I need of Mom's.

Last edited by Janet; 01-04-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I think I would really like to start knitting - I may see if I can find someone to teach me.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

Look it up online, Gayle. There are detailed instructions on YouTube
Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I may try that!