4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > Prayer Requests

Old 07-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
paula1961

Awww thanks so much Diana. You are so sweet!

They are giving my Dad something through his iv for the fluid. I can't remember the name of it. They had been giving him lasix (sp?) but it hasn't helped at all to get rid of any fluid. Normally that's what he takes for fluid buildup. They are going to leave the drip on for 8 hrs and after that every 12 hrs. I am worried about his kidneys. When he went in his creatnine count was 4.0 now it's like 3.8 but for him that isn't terribly bad. Will update later or tomorrow after I get back from the hospital.
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #17
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

The main thing, Paula, is to determine what caused this and prevent it from happening again. I also read that seeds can cause this type of problem. Watermelon seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. Who knew!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Congestive heart failure (at least I think that's what I remember he has) is very difficult to control as people get older. I hope they can get some fluid off because it is so hard on them to be in fluid overload.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #18
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

How wonderful that Lucas is feeling better! I hope it never comes back!

I'm sorry that your Dad is sick. I'll be praying that he gets back to normal fluid levels and stays well.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

What I'm curious about is what dangers is there with his colon being stretched. If that's more dangerous than a simple operation; I would just opt to repair his colon. I know his very young but a stretch colon might damage the little fellow. I hope the doctor gave him a big percent of returning back to normal.
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #20
paula1961

Jessica they didn't say what percentage of it coming back. As far as I know anyway. I will make some calls today and try to get hold of my sil and find out when they go to the dr.

I am going to see my Dad today. Hopefully he lost some fluid last night. And yes Gayle...you remembered right he does have congestive heart failure. I'll see what I can find out today and let you all know something more later...if there is anything new.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #21
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
The main thing, Paula, is to determine what caused this and prevent it from happening again. I also read that seeds can cause this type of problem. Watermelon seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. Who knew!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Congestive heart failure (at least I think that's what I remember he has) is very difficult to control as people get older. I hope they can get some fluid off because it is so hard on them to be in fluid overload.
Gayle, that reminds me, my uncle can not eat seeds and I think it's for this same reason. He can't eat buns with sesame seeds, any fruit with seeds, even small seeds like on strawberries.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #22
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

The no seeds for your uncle is probably due to diverticulitis - and I don't think that's what Lucas has. As I was reading about extreme constipation in kids, it seems that seeds can cause it, whereas seeds will cause a flare up or infection in diverticulities in adults.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #23
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gja1000 View Post
The no seeds for your uncle is probably due to diverticulitis - and I don't think that's what Lucas has. As I was reading about extreme constipation in kids, it seems that seeds can cause it, whereas seeds will cause a flare up or infection in diverticulities in adults.
Ohhhh okay

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #24
paula1961

My Dad is still in the hospital. They have him on a heprun(sp?) drip to get rid of fluid. Yesterday medtronics(maker of his defiberlator) came in and set it to pace his heart at 70. He had a few problems with that for several hours but now he says he is feeling some better. He had lost about 3 lbs of fluid as of yesterday. Bless his heart. He has been sick for sooo long. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.

I still don't know anymore about what caused Lucas's problem either. I will let you know as soon as I hear something. He just says he feels better now.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #25
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Hmmm... Heparin is a blood thinner - it doesn't get rid of fluid. They use Heparin when someone has a blood clot. I'm wondering if the pacemaker was too slow, which can cause the potential for a clot to form in the heart and then travel to the lungs or brain.

Usually they use Lasix or Demadex to draw off the fluid. Heparin is just a blood thinner. Perhaps though, if the blood is thinner, then it is easier for Lasix or Demadex to work to get the fluid off.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #26
Blueyes
Donating 4WT Talker

You are right Gayle. Mike uses Demadex, and that stuff is strong. The heparin has to be for something heart related.

I'm sorry your family is having such a hard time, Paula. Keep us posted!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #27
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I know that Glen's Dad used to go back to the doctor at least once a year with his pacemaker and would get a "tune up". He had a hard time getting it regulated at first but they eventually got him up and running.

I hope they have your Dad "all tuned up" and ready to go!!! Bless his heart!!!! Hugs to you and all your family!!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #28
paula1961

I swear you all.......they give him so much stuff. I just can't remember what is given for what lol. He was paced at 63 and they changed it to 70. Maybe that's why they gave him the heparun. They do have him on lasix. He has taken that for years for fluid retention. I'll be calling to check on him in a few minutes. We'll just see if there are any changes.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and words of encouragment. I love you all!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #29
JJJ
Donating 4WT Addict

I'm sorry to hear abput your dad too. All I can say is never keep your eyes off him. XOXO
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #30
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

I hope he stabilizes soon Paula!

judy is offline   Reply With Quote