4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 04-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Lissa

Knitting?

First off, I'm the little old lady that keeps Sudoku and Word Search books on her in case she gets bored and needs something to do

Well, in line with the more traditional ways of keeping busy there's something I've been wanting to pick up for a little while now: Knitting. I like doing stuff that requires a bit of skill, and knitting looks like one of those things. Also it looks like a relatively inexpensive hobby that you can do almost anywhere and doesn't rely on the use of batteries.

So my questions are:

Do any of you knit?

Is it difficult?

How long did it take you to learn?

My mum knows how to do it so I'm gonna try to get her to teach me while I'm home for summer break

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
toodles

Send a message via AIM to toodles
i know how to crochet but have never tried knitting. good luck!!!!!!!! if it is anything like crocheting it is very relaxing and very easy to do...
toodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
AngieDoogles
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

I think my Mom knows how to knit. She does a lot of stuff with yarn. lol. I only know how to crochet and cross-stitch, both of which are really very simple. Knitting looks a bit more complex. I had a friend in high school who just loved knitting and was super fast! She made the cutest things! You'll have to show us pictures of what you make when you learn. Good luck!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
Forgivenmom5
4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieDoogles
I think my Mom knows how to knit. She does a lot of stuff with yarn. lol. I only know how to crochet and cross-stitch, both of which are really very simple. Knitting looks a bit more complex. I had a friend in high school who just loved knitting and was super fast! She made the cutest things! You'll have to show us pictures of what you make when you learn. Good luck!
Know I have never been able to knit--Just crochet, cross stitch and embroidery. Wish I could.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Melissa, it's not hard at all, and using the larger needles and yarn, you can make things very quickly. When I was in high school, I used to make purses in one night. When you get home in May, I'll show you the basics and we can head to Hobby Lobby to find some fun stuff.

Here are a couple of websites that show you the basics. The second one probably has the simplist approach.

http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_kn.php3
http://www.theyarnco.com/instruction.php

The thing that I like about small knit and crochet projects is that you can do them just about anywhere. Puts time waiting at doctor's offices, airports, etc. to good constructive use.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Passionfruition

The only thing I can knit are scarves......but I have made tons of them for myself, friends and family! I love going to the yarn store and getting a new color/texture.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Seuss
Passionfruition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Lissa

I'm excited about learning, I wanna be able to knit scarves and bags and stuff like that. Heaven knows I love bags, but they cost so much, if I could make my own that would be so awesome!! Socks too!!! I wanna knit warm socks to wear around the house so my feet won't get cold.

Marilyn's Disappearing Daughter!!
Cake or Death, Melissa
"Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised." Heb 10:35-36

Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
AngieDoogles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
I'm excited about learning, I wanna be able to knit scarves and bags and stuff like that. Heaven knows I love bags, but they cost so much, if I could make my own that would be so awesome!! Socks too!!! I wanna knit warm socks to wear around the house so my feet won't get cold.
And stuff like that makes such great gifts! You'll have everything you need when Christmas gets here.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~MT
AngieDoogles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Mandy

I knitted my husband a few jersey's years ago *shhhh dont ask* LOL... hey but they even had a V neck, i had step by step help from an older lady, now i cant ever recall my husband wearing them in public tho