4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
magnolia

I'm so down right now!

My oldest went this morning to take his driver's test for his permit and failed - again! I had taken him Friday and he failed but after studying really hard all week-end, I just knew he would pass today!! He's my child with ADD and Dyslexia and he takes everything to heart. He's so upset and depressed and I am too! We reviewed almost all week-end and he knows the material, just gets confused on the test because of his dyslexia. He can go one more time before Friday and if he fails again, he has to wait, I think, 30 days before he can go again. My heart is just breaking for him, I feel like sitting here and crying!!! He had to have it by today in order to stay in Drivers Ed at school and you guessed it - he didn't have it so he got taken out of the class Hubby and I are not going to let this keep us from taking him back by Friday to try again. We're gonna use reverse psychology on him - "prove the teacher wrong for letting you out of the class - pass the test!". But that doesn't help his heavy heart, or mine, today. I don't even feel like being at work so I can only imagine how he feels! We'll be okay, I just had to come somewhere and get this off my heart. I gotta run but will try to get back in later on.

"Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been"....Jimmy Buffett
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Ponyup

Because of his dyslexia would it be possible to have someone at the DMV read the test to him? Maybe then he would have a better chance of passing.
Ponyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
That's just what I was going to suggest. My son doesn't have the dyslexia, (has ADD) but he does better with auditory skills so reading aloud helps him. We were told that if he needed us to read to him or for him to go into another room and read aloud (so he wouldn't get embarassed) he could. Ask them. My son also does better on tests in school if he can read them aloud or if the teacher will read the questions aloud for the whole class.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Awe, don't worry. I failed my permit test TWICE! My youngest sister also failed it twice. But we both eventually got it! Those tests are tough!
"To whom much is given, much is expected." ~Luke 12:48
RLC12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
rivermom
Donating 4WT 500 Club Member

What a hard time for all of you, so sorry. It sounds like your son sure knows what he needs to in order to pass this test. I bet there's a way someone in charge of the tests can arrange a special day/time to read the test to your son if allowed.

No need probably to tell you to give your son praise for all his effort in trying as I am sure you've already done so.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for Friday's test passing.
rivermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
magnolia

Thanks guys! They do have phones at the testing station where the person can pick it up and have the test read to them (like having someone read to them without a "body" being there). He's just so down and with his soft heart, it just doesn't take much and he feels worthless! And of course, then my heart breaks for him. Hubby and I are going to do nothing but praise him because WE know he knows it!! It's just hard to translate that over when he's testing. I do know the MHP guy who runs the office here in Vicksburg (we bought his house 9 1/2 years ago) so I'm gonna call him at home tonight and talk to him on possible solutions, if any, to help him. We are NOT going to let him get any further down than he is, we are going to make him feel proud of his accomplishments with it thus far. Friday, when he took it, the test shut off after 18 questions (you miss 7, it shuts off). Today, he got to question 24 and it shut off so that was improvement! And that's how we're going to talk to him - the positive side of it - he got further today than before.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia
Thanks guys! They do have phones at the testing station where the person can pick it up and have the test read to them (like having someone read to them without a "body" being there). He's just so down and with his soft heart, it just doesn't take much and he feels worthless! And of course, then my heart breaks for him. Hubby and I are going to do nothing but praise him because WE know he knows it!! It's just hard to translate that over when he's testing. I do know the MHP guy who runs the office here in Vicksburg (we bought his house 9 1/2 years ago) so I'm gonna call him at home tonight and talk to him on possible solutions, if any, to help him. We are NOT going to let him get any further down than he is, we are going to make him feel proud of his accomplishments with it thus far. Friday, when he took it, the test shut off after 18 questions (you miss 7, it shuts off). Today, he got to question 24 and it shut off so that was improvement! And that's how we're going to talk to him - the positive side of it - he got further today than before.

That is so true.....he did better than last time! If nothing else, this is such a great life lesson. There are going to be failures throughout your life. It is actually a blessing that he is learning early how to deal with failure. If at first you don't succeed, don't give up! Try until you get it right!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Mandy
Donating 4WT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
My oldest went this morning to take his driver's test for his permit and failed - again! I had taken him Friday and he failed but after studying really hard all week-end, I just knew he would pass today!! He's my child with ADD and Dyslexia and he takes everything to heart. He's so upset and depressed and I am too! We reviewed almost all week-end and he knows the material, just gets confused on the test because of his dyslexia. He can go one more time before Friday and if he fails again, he has to wait, I think, 30 days before he can go again. My heart is just breaking for him, I feel like sitting here and crying!!! He had to have it by today in order to stay in Drivers Ed at school and you guessed it - he didn't have it so he got taken out of the class Hubby and I are not going to let this keep us from taking him back by Friday to try again. We're gonna use reverse psychology on him - "prove the teacher wrong for letting you out of the class - pass the test!". But that doesn't help his heavy heart, or mine, today. I don't even feel like being at work so I can only imagine how he feels! We'll be okay, I just had to come somewhere and get this off my heart. I gotta run but will try to get back in later on.

I'm so sorry your son failed, tell him, next time he will do better, all of us here will be thinking of him!!
Does he get nervous real bad before he takes the test?
If so, tell him to eat a few bananas before he goes, that will help him to relax, i know of a few people that did that after they failed their drivers a few times, they were told about eating bananas before they go, and seriously they all passed
Old 09-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
2tiredmom

Red face

Just wanted you to know your in my thoughts and prayers. I know this sounds silly but 3rd times a charm. <My heart goes out to you and your family. I know it's got to be hard but he will do it.

2tiredmom
2tiredmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
RLC12345678
4WT 500 Club Member

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I studied REALLY hard for my Law School Admissions test, and didn't do so well the first 2 times, but did EXCELLENT the 3rd time. It must be true what they say, 3rd time's a charm But, if I had given up, I would not be where I am today.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
Amber_lv

I'm sorry he has to go through this but i would suggest the reading thing too. I hope he passes good luck!
Amber_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #12
Janet

I will be keeping your son and family in my prayers. If I ask my son test questions he passes with flying colors, but when he reads the test on his own he doesn't do well at all. This week he starts ISTEP, and probably like all the others, he'll barely pass.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #13
khardy57

Quote:
God bless your son! I went thru the exact same thing with my youngest son and he passed the test by having it read to him. You're doing the right thing by using positive reinforcement. My heart just breaks that he's having to feel like this!!
khardy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:57 AM   #14
magnolia

Thank you all for your kind words - they really mean alot to me! We took last night "off" from reviewing - he needed the break, needed to just clear his head and put it behind him. But we start back tonight on reviewing and studying. I tried to call my friend last night but they weren't home and he didn't call me back (he may call me today). I'm going to try to take him back on Thursday to re-test. He told me last night (which I already knew) that he was really nervous taking the test and when he gets nervous, the wording confuses him. What he really needs is someone who can read the test to him, not over a phone, but in person so that's what I'm going to check on to see if it's possible to have that done. I may end up having to drive him over to Jackson (bigger MHP driving center over there) if they have someone who can read it to him.....will have to see what I find out today. We are going to get through this! Even if he has to take the test 4, 5, or 6 times - he's gonna make it and I'm gonna do all I can to help him!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #15
Janet

That's the SPIRIT!!! Tell him it's no big deal and I said so!!! Some things we excell at, and others don't and vice versa. I'm rooting for him all the way!! I know he can do it...