4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > Fun & Health Talk > The Positive Forum!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Rose

> The first day of school our professor introduced himself and challenged us to get to know someone we didn't already know. I stood up to look around when a gentle hand touched my shoulder.
>
> I turned around to find a wrinkled, little old lady beaming up at me with a smile that lit up her entire being.
>
> She said, 'Hi handsome. My name is Rose. I'm eighty-seven years old. Can I give you a hug?'
>
> I laughed and enthusiastically responded, 'Of course you may!' and she gave me a giant squeeze.
>
> 'Why are you in college at such a young, innocent age?' I asked.
>
>
> She jokingly replied, 'I'm here to meet a rich husband, get married, and have a couple of kids...'
>
> 'No seriously,' I asked. I was curious what may have motivated her to be taking on this challenge at her age.
>
> 'I always dreamed of having a college education and now I'm getting one!' she told me.
>
> After class we walked to the student union building and shared a chocolate milkshake.
>
> We became instant friends. Every day for the next three months we would leave class together and talk nonstop. I was always mesmerized listening to this 'time machine' as she shared her wisdom and experience with me.
>
> Over the course of the year, Rose became a campus icon and she easily made friends wherever she went. She loved to dress up and she reveled in the attention bestowed upon her from the other students. She was living it up.
>
> At the end of the semester we invited Rose to speak at our football banquet. I'll never forget what she taught us. She was introduced and stepped up to the podium. As she began to deliver her prepared speech, she dropped her three by five cards on the floor.
>
> Frustrated and a little embarrassed she leaned into the microphone and simply said, 'I'm sorry I'm so jittery. I gave up beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! I'll never get my speech back in order so let me just tell you what I know.'
>
> As we laughed she cleared her throat and began, '! We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing.
>
> There are only four secrets to staying young, being happy, and achieving success. You have to laugh and find humor every day. You've got to have a dream. When you lose your dreams, you die.
>
> We have so many people walking around who are dead and don't even know it!
>
> There is a huge difference between growing older and growing up.
>
> If you are nineteen years old and lie in bed for one full year and don't do one productive thing, you will turn twenty years old. If I am eighty-seven years old and stay in bed for a year and never do anything I will turn eighty-eight.
>
> Anybody can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change. Have no regrets.
>
> The elderly usually don't have regrets for what we did, but rather for things we did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets.'
>
> She concluded her speech by courageously singing 'The Rose.'
>
> She challenged each of us to study the lyrics and live them out in our daily lives. At the year's end Rose finished the college degree she had begun all those years ago.
>
> One week after graduation Rose died peacefully in her sleep.
>
> Over two thousand college students attended her funeral in tribute to the wonderful woman who taught by example that it's never too late to be all you can possibly be.
>
> When you finish reading this, please send this peaceful word of advice to your friends and family, they'll really enjoy it!
>
> These words have been passed along in loving memory of ROSE.
>
> REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL. We make a Living by what we get, We make a Life by what we give.
>
> God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage. If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Loved it Diana!!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
katcarasella
KAT'S KRAZY KORNER
Donating Member

Send a message via Yahoo to katcarasella
Beautiful words Diana....

These words have been passed along in loving memory of ROSE.

REMEMBER, GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL. We make a Living by what we get, We make a Life by what we give.

God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage. If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Kat
katcarasella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
Tink
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Tink
Well said!
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
I have seen this before but it has been some time. It reminds me of me standing 9at age 29) on a college campus and telling the "college age" people around me that I am not sure I should be doing this because i'm too old. When I glanced from that group over my left shoulder a lady who had to have been sixty stepped to my side and calmly said, "If you're too old, what does that make me?" She said this with a smile, patted my back and walked on. It was not at all a hateful gesture but one to make me realize that we are never too old. I hope to finish college and some point. I had to take a break due to the money situation and the ability to pay for daycare, but I WILL be back... even if I'm 70 or 90 when I am finished.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #6
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

I don't think that you're ever too old to learn. Actually, I think that going to college when you're older means that you're really serious about learning. Too many kids really don't want to go to college when they're just out of high school. They just don't know what else to do. So you are to be admired, Traci, for your determination and hard work!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Tink

I fully agree with Diana. My oldest went to college for 1.5 yr right out of HS and flunked out. She wasn't ready and couldn't handle it.
She recently went back with a full time job, a husband, house and 2 kids to take care of and was on the deans list the whole time.

Motivation is the key...
Old 05-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

Send a message via AIM to Chandra Amaya Send a message via Yahoo to Chandra Amaya
well, I haven't made it yet. I was a straight A nursing student with 2 months left to graduate. My ex-boyfriend kicked us out to move his new GF in. I missed one clinical hour too many while trying to find a home for my kids. I was not allowed to finish. I tried to go back after I had the youngest baby. I did well my first semester, but let the school talk me into taking summer online courses against my better judgement. I took a full course load and being at home with four kids all summer, i couldn't find the time to keep up. So again i lost, but anything worth having takes fighting for. I will try again when the baby starts school. She is three now. Eventually, I'll make it.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Tink

Traci, I have every faith that you'll do it. You're out of strong stock... it will happen.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Chandra Amaya
4WT 500 Club Member

awww, thanks Tink. I know I will at some point. It just gets frustrating to get so close and something destroy all you have worked for, but I guess that's why there is a tomorrow.