4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > All Else > Vent!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

Volleyball.......again!!!

Jaci had her first three games last night. She sat all the way through the first game, and the second game she got to go in and play for the last 3 points. She was mad and Glen and I weren't very happy in the stands.

There are four seniors on the team, with one playing all the time (she excells in all sports so it's understandable that she's playing) of the other three, one is traded in occasionally, another one is traded in a little bit more than Jaci, and Jaci is traded in hardly at all. Jaci is an excellent player and I'm not just being partial as a mom about that.

Anyway, last night on the third game a girl twisted her ankle, the coach already had the other girls traded in (a rare coincidence) so Jaci had to take this girls spot. It was a position that Jaci had never played before but she did great!! She even served and got a few points to put us ahead. The other parents got to cheering Jaci on and the coach put her in again.

Glen, another senior parent, and I sat together with the other parents so they were aware of the girls sitting on the bench. There was no team spirit because the girls on the bench knew that they weren't part of the team, but things changed once the girls were put in. I hope that the coach noticed that and hopefully things will change. We talked to Jaci about talking to the coach. She's not going to know that Jaci's unhappy until Jaci points it out to her. Jaci is very well liked and it wouldn't surprise me if the girls don't do something to help her play more. We'll see.

If it wouldn't have been for the girl twisting her ankle Jaci wouldn't have played probably for the last game either. She was prepared to quit but now she's going to see what happens. I'm still so fustrated with the coach that I could spit nails!!!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I don't blame you Diana...I would be frustrated too. Jaci really should speak with her and if that doesn't work....invite the coach out behind the barn and convince her to see things your way...LOL. Seriously....I just don't like it when adults are tearing down a player/students self esteem. Makes no sense to me when with just a little encouragement...strides can be made.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
paula1961

Diana, I so hope that Jaci talking to the coach will help. I'm sure that she is a very good player. I understand what ya mean about coaches I went thru that for years with my boys. I hope things work out for the best for your daughter! Hang in there girl!
paula1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Diana, this just stinks that this has to happen to Jaci in her senior year. This year is so special, it's sad to think it may be marred by this stupid coach!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Some coaches are really not good at it! I hope you work it out for her.

Mackenzie had a similar problem last year. Jessie had to speak to the coach more than once. It kind of worked.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
DianaB

On Friday I sent an e-mail to the coach and the athletic director. I just pointed out some observations on what I saw.

Hello, I'm Jaci's mom. My husband and I were at the volleyball games last night in Garnett. I just wanted to point out some things that I noticed..........

I noticed that the last team that you played (Burlington, I believe) had so much team spirit for each other. They had a large team and, if you recall, all of the team players were rotated in to play. This made them an active part of the team. They were excited about each other and the game.

On the other hand, the players that you had on the bench were not interested in the game, nor were they excited about being a part of the team because they weren't sure they were going to get to play.

I guess that my point is that having what you consider your "best" players out on the court all the time isn't the best answer to winning, but making a "team" that includes all of your members is. You will have bonding and encouragement for each other with the whole team.

I do appreciate that Jaci was "allowed" to play last night. It was sad that it was only because a player was hurt. Jaci is an excellent player, has a love for the game, and has a lot of "team" spirit. I hope that in the future you decide to include the "whole" team in playing and improve the moral of the team.

Sincerely,

Diana Baker

Needless to say, the e-mail didn't go over well. Jaci said that she overheard the coaches and athletic director talking about it and the coaches were instructed to not respond to it. (The athletic director was at Jaci's game and saw for himself how much she played. He's also a friend, not a close friend, but a friend.) It ended up that the coach called all three of the seniors that were on the bench and informed them that there is so such thing as fairness or equal play. They were told that they would probably not play anymore at games than what they'd been playing (which for Jaci was hardly anything). Jaci left pretty upset.

I don't understand why the girls on the bench can't be rotated in. They are all good players, two of them are especiallly good, and being seniors you'd think that they'd be starting for the team.

Jaci had all weekend to think about what the coach had to say and she decided to quit. It didn't sound like she was going to get any playing time (she's not even practicing with varsity). There were a lot of senior girls that didn't even bother to go out this year because they saw the senior girls sit on the bench game after game and they didn't want to do that.

Jaci went yesterday and turned in her jersey and knee pads. The coaches weren't happy about it. They pointed out that she was next in line to be a setter. Of course, that's only is one of the other setters is injured. You'd think that if she is that good, as a senior, she would be starting. The coaches told her that she could support her team from the bench and Jaci pointed out that she could also support her team from the bleachers. Jaci came home in tears and my heart is broken for her. She absolutely loved volleyball and has worked hard to improve.

Glen has a call into the athletic director and I think that he's going to set up an appointment to talk to him. Something needs to change in this. I've dealt with the school before and we probably won't get anywhere, but we're going to try!!

After I stop laughing!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
Diana, I'm so sorry Jaci has had to go through this. It's so hard being a teenager and there is no way I'd want to do it all again. My heart just breaks for her. I hope Glenn can get a meeting with the athletic director and get some satisfaction from the meeting.

I don't understand it either. You'd think with Jaci's ability,experience and team spirit she would be on the floor...playing the game...not on the bench. This coach sounds like she's on an ego trip and needs to be replaced before she knocks the self esteem out of the rest of the girls. I don't understand why the school board would want someone like this coaching.

Give Jaci a big Janet hug okay?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
Tiramisu

I'm so sorry you're going through this and hope something can be worked out.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
Marilyn
Donating 4WT 2000 Club Member

Oh, Diana, so sad that you and Jaci are going through this. Coaches are so unfair sometimes. I can't imagine with she is thinking. The seniors have worked hard to get where they are. They are at their prime and should be utilized. I just don't get it. Hugs to both of you!!! and to Glenn, too.
If anyone would like a free Bible Study CD or book entitled "Searching for Truth", PM me with your mailing address and I'll send you one. "And you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
DianaB

We had a talk with the athletic director, Tony, a couple of days ago. He has been a coach before, but not for volleyball but he understands a coaches point of view. According to him he agrees with the coach's choice of using the juniors because they get an extra year of experience. Glen and I spent some time talking to him and came away really fustrated with the school and the volleyball program. We did find out that Jaci could possibly play junior varsity again if the coach would allow her and other schools had to give their permission for a senior to play. Jaci didn't ask about this because she was told by another teacher that there was a rule that all seniors had to play on varsity.

Tony did some checking with other schools and they didn't have a problem with Jaci playing on jr varsity but the coach said no and when I talked to Jaci she wasn't interested either. So we are done with volleyball as far as Jaci is concerned. I'm upset that this could happen. My daughter won't letter in a sport that she was really good in.

On the other hand, I have a volleyball game in Caney this afternoon where 3 of my granddaughter's are playing. I'll be cheering them on!!

After I stop laughing!!!