4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women  

4WomenTalk.com Home Forums Start Page Forums Chat Chat Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   4WomenTalk Forums Community for Women > 4WomenTalk Forums > General Women Discussion

Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #2176
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Well, in the past few days we have learned that Gary's heart function has definitely declined in the past month. The doctor thinks its due to taking him off one of his medicines that was causing his asthma to act up. So she is trying him on another new medicine and will try to put him back on the medicine he really needs. He may have to tolerate some asthma symptoms and use his inhalers and the nebulizer to get through it. They also talked with him about a left ventricular assist device and he's not too keen on that. She's very evasive when he asks about going home, so I think he'll be here for a couple more days.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #2177
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Poor Gary! What would the ventricular assist involve?

I hope they straighten out his meds very quickly!

One day at a time, Gayle! My prayers are with you.

judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #2178
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

If you google left ventricular assist device and there are some great websites. It would probably make him feel better, but he would have a tube coming out his side, always have to wear the battery pack, change the batteries every 12 hours and always be near electricity. Since he has experience always being connected to an insulin pump, he's not too keen on being connected to something else.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #2179
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

And, always being near electricity would limit his fishing, hunting, etc.

Can't blame him!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #2180
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
I feel so bad for Gary. What a decision to have to make. Are you going to leave the decision totally up to him? It would probably drive him crazy to not be able to go on fishing trips or hunting.

I already know that if I should ever need kidney dialysis..after seeing what Mom went through...I won't do it. Having to be hooked up everyday or going to a diaylsis center 3-4 times a week, just wouldn't be something I would want to do.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #2181
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

That's not good news about Gary's heart. I'm glad that his doctor is keeping a good eye on him......and you too! I can't blame him for not wanting to be hooked up to another thing......it would really limit his going out to hunt and fish.....unless he had a huge supply of batteries with him. Hopefully at this point he has a choice but I can see in the future he probably won't. Poor Gary.

How are you doing, Gayle? It has to be such a worry for you. You know that I'm just a phone call away anytime you need me.

I have one fustrated little boy this mornng!! He got a new bike with training wheels last week and it doesn't work well on the carpet or in the grass!! And boy does he get mad!!! The pedal has to be in just the right spot for him to get started and it's not always where it should be!! He is amazing driving it around the house......I can't believe the control he has for a two year old!! He's too short to touch the ground so it's all in the pedaling!! He doesn't run into much either......just goes around and around!!

School will be out the end of next week. Dae Lynn will be home except for cleaning at the church a couple of days a week so she'll have to watch the kids. I sure hope that things are better than they've been the last few days!! Dean AND Karlie both do a lot of screaming and yelling at each other whenever Karlie's home......don't know if my nerves can take too much of it!! Hopefully it will get better as they both get used to being around each other more.

I invited my Mom and step-Dad over for lunch on Sunday since it's Mother's Day. My Mom collects little pastel colored figurines and I found one that I'm hoping she doesn't have!! I'm also going to run to town here in a little bit and look at some Miche purse covers and see about getting one for Mom. We both have the purses and love them!! That will make her a good gift. Now I just need to figure out what we're going to eat on Sunday!!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #2182
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

I feel bad for Gary too. I know that betwen the two of you, you will figure out the best thing to do for him.

Dean sounds so cute on his bike!!! You should take a picture for us Diana!

Our town is having it's annual garage sale tomorrow so we've decided to sell a few things again. We didn't even know about it so our name and address is not on the map, but we realized last year that most people aren't on the map! We're going to try to sell whatever didn't sell last year, plus some outside Christmas decor (we've decided to change it up this year!) and my last cell phone, a car navigation unit, and a few other things we've found that we don't need.

I'm also going to try to get rid of our ants!!!!! We are overrun right now. I don't know where they all came from, but our back yard is all patchy and FULL of ant hills now. Last night I used 17 pots of boiling water on them and didn't even cover half. I also spilled some on my leg while I was wearing yoga pants I've got a good welt on my thigh from that now. Anyways, hopefully we can figure out something We were hoping to seed the lawn this weekend but now that we know there's that many ants causing the patchy grass, there's no point until we get rid of the ants first.

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #2183
DianaB
Donating 4WT 13K Club Member

There's some stuff called Terro that I use. They have some outside baits that you place in your yard. It's not an automatic fix.....it takes a few weeks but it does work.

http://www.terro.com/products.php?pr...meter_ant_bait

I'm having quite a time with ants in the house. I've gotten rid of most of them but I must still have some coming in somewhere and I can't figure out where to put the bait!!

You and I are friends.......
Always remember that if you fall I will pick you up......

After I stop laughing!!!
DianaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #2184
Lindsey
Donating 4WT Talker

Is that safe for pets Diana? Kash things anything on the ground is fair game to play with! We have a tree smack in the middle of the yard and there were a few ants there a couple of years ago and they seem to be radiating from that spot now. I hope they won't kill our tree!

"I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it..." -Marilyn Monroe
Lindsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #2185
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

My father used to use chinese chalk in the house in Florida to keep the ants out. I don't know if it's pet safe, or even where he got it. He would draw a line with the chalk and the ants would not go over it.

Take a Dean video Diana!

Good luck with the garage sale Linds! I have some stuff on Ebay right now. I sold 3 things so far. It's fun, and the money does add up.

What a gorgeous day we are having! I went to get my nails done, popped into the tanning machine, and then went over to Walmart for food. They have the best prices around here!

I went into the tanning machine because I have eczema, and that is supposed to halp get rid of it. I have had it on my left arm for almost a year now! The first rash went away, but another came up not long after. I called the dermatologist last month, and my appt. is June 23rd!

Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #2186
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

I use terro too but only in the house up on the cabinets. I don't know if it's safe for dogs. I have heard about sugar and grits and some of the remedies in the FB thread. You can also sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the mounds. This is the crushed seashells that cuts their legs when they walk through it. It's a powder and won't hurt the dogs, but don't put it down when it's windy and don't breathe in the dust. You can find it at nurseries in the states. I use it for ant and pest control in the yard and garden. I sprinkle on any ant mounds I find and around the perimeter of my yard to keep the ants and fleas from crawling in
Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #2187
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Gary feels much better today. He walked up and down the entire hall twice and was much less short of breath. He is still on the IV med that is helping his heart be stronger. The trick will be if they can get him off the med and transferred to an oral med and he still feels OK. I'm a little worried that he will not feel good when they take him off the IV med, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

We've played MANY games of gin rummy, he usually beats me, but I've beat him a few times.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #2188
judy
Donating 4WT Yakker

Thank goodness he is feeling better! Do you have any idea when he can go home? I hope he feels as well without the IV meds.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #2189
gja1000
Donating 4WT Yakker

Doc was just in and said they will try to stop the IV med tomorrow, but he will have to stay a few more days to see how the oral meds work. Gary's numbers (oxygen, blood pressure pulse, kidney function, etc) all look much better today, so we are making progress.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #2190
Janet
Donating 4WT 18K Club Member

Send a message via MSN to Janet Send a message via Yahoo to Janet
That's great news Gayle! So glad things are looking better. Now...just getting him off the IV and onto the meds. You both are in my prayers.

Today...I didn't do anything...lol. I had no ambition whatsoever! Ricky told me he'd like to take me to Buffalo Wild Wings for supper. I had never been and he knew I wanted to try it sometime. Let me tell you....those wings were hot and soooo good and the beer was soooo cold. We also got the sampler tray with onion rings, fried cheese thingys and nachos. I wish I could live there....LOLOLOL

I loved everything about the place. Looking forward to going there again real soon. Probably won't get on the scales tomorrow...I know I blew my diet to smitherines!!! But...back on it again tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be bittersweet for me. Mom won't be here and Ricky has to work. So..planning on going to the cemetary with some flowers and to tell Mom how much I miss her.